The USA will win a world cup before England's second

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    With good reason.

You're part of the problem if you genuinely believe that England are good at developing top players.

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nevertheless he has a point, the English under 19's youth team are the European champions so they must have some kind of talent! to just dismiss everything English as 'sh*t' is the other end of the extreme as calling the English national team world champions! It does seem to me that many people seem to think that the English team is the 'worst in Europe' and that the English are 'incapable' of kicking a ball or producing promising talent - the truth is that actually the team is though not the best its certainly not the worst either - the current English youth players are looking quite good, how that transends to the full national team we shall have to wait and see.

3. Telly Halkias

Telly Halkias Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Irrelevant because we are talking about the individual talent of akills development of each player not the dynamic of team success at that level. Team success does not equate to producing thr best individual talent on the field. Compare how many Dutch players are playing in top flight leagues to English players and you have your answer.

4. Telly Halkias

Telly Halkias Member

Jul 7, 2014
    No one is dismissing their talent just noting the universally accepted precept that team success does not mean best individual talent. In fact it is not surprising the English have team success at those levels because their game is much more unselfish and lends itself to levels of play where individual talent has not yet fully developed. But at the higher levels team rely on that brilliance (see: Messi in WC 14) to carry them a long way. Less so at the youth levels. And that is a long known truth in all team sports not just soccer.

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Im sorry but this is nonsense, you think Raheem Sterling has no skill development! Half the time people say the English have individual talent but can't play as a team and now your saying they only play as a team and have no individual talent! Do you honestly believe that you can win a European championship with players that have no skill! Like I said the people simply spout the same ole stereotypes of 'long ball' and 'no skill' when it comes to the English teams, the truth of the matter is that the full English national team is currently NOT the best team in Europe but its also FAR from the worst while the English under 19's (as European Champions) are perhaps the best in Europe. If you think that the English team is destined to be 'ordinary' for ever more just because its full of English players then perhaps you should think on, nobody knows how the English, French, Swiss etc etc teams are going to be like in 10 years.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's the U17's that are European Champions, not the U19's. They were an unusually technical crop, but even they had an obvious edge physically, and that takes you a long way the younger the age group.

7. Desert Rain

Desert Rain New Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Weren't Ribery and Griezmann overlooked in France when they were young. I think Griezmann had to go to Spain.

There have been small players playing for England though: Scholes, Ashley and Joe Cole, Owen, Rooney, Wilshere, Sterling, Walcott, Chamberlain.

Having said that I still think size is considered even among midfielders in England and France.

8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nevertheless the fact is they are Euro champions, you wouldn't even get close to winning if you were completely devoid of 'technical ability'.

9. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USA wasn't getting foreign born/grown American players from soccer crazy countries and it was just the USA's 3-4th tier athletes then I would say England.

However if we can get those guys from other countries to play for the USA, plus a few of our best soccer players, Soccer becoming our 3rd place sport only behind our Football, and Basketballthan yes I think within the next 3-4 decades we could get 1