The USA Supporters Section Did Not "Bring It" in the Gold Cup Final

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by deedougie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know if the Ex-Seattle AO head still posts here, but I am the AO Seattle Prez who posts on USA Men's folder.

You can find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/AOSeattle. We are always posting news and events.

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only asked specifically about CL only because he's been around for a decade and all that, just trying to ask him to relate his experience on this thread. also, he was the guy that dyed a bunch of USA fans hair red for the 2002 games in Korea, well, except for Patfan1.

:D

3. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look..I agree,,wearing MLS gear at a US game isn't cool . But when you come down to it, there isn't enough of us[US Supporters] in the country. We ALL need to stick together. When teams play each other in the MLS..you can go back to hating the person or team

4. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it ;) I'll shoot him an email to visit this thread.

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'll say this..I do agree with some of the people on here about people running down to the front to be on tv and people caring too much about tailgating. But i still think , not being on the same page supporting wise is the biggest issue we have

6. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following are American cities that have hosted a USA game of some kind since 2007. Bold cities are home to MLS squads. There is a good chunk of people who are not MLS supporters but follow the national team game.

Los Angeles
    Boston
    Washington, DC
    New York

Tampa
    Nashville
    Kansas City
    Chicago

Hartford
    Philadelphia
    Columbus
    Seattle
    Salt Lake City
    Denver
    Houston
    Bay Area
    Dallas

Phoenix

7. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was good to us on our Honeymoon. Went drinking in the Redmont part of Seattle. I put my USA scarf on the Lenin statue.

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    the Lenin statue is in Fremont.....i once got arrested for passing out drunk next to it.....ah, the George and Dragon

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    way ahead of ya.

Nashville was a blast and a half. Olympic Qualifiers were awesome. Plus long-time poster Haig lives there and we got the grand tour and all that.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You keep forgetting Detroit...hosted a game a couple of weeks ago

11. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS! And they've hosted 2 since 1990 (1st U.S. match of the '94 WC)

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    well, Garrett was using the list on this page:

http://homepages.sover.net/~spectrum/usamen2.html

it hasnt been updated with the 2011 fixtures so Detroit wasn't included, also on that page the first match of the '94 WC is listed as Pontiac, MI.

of course Detroit should be included, but an innocent oversight.

13. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ssshhhh...Never know who's monitoring these boards ;)

I think the AO's should seriously re-consider this. It's great to keep it in the family, but I have to think if there was some reach out to the Galaxy and the Chivas USA fans to contribute their organization skills to game-days operations, especially cheers and organizing the section. I also think whatever issues there are between AO and SA, they should be working together when they are in the same section to be cheering in unison. Its all about bring out the loudest supporting section out there cheering on the USA.

I agree that the AO's sometimes have had great organization. The amount of support at the USA vs. El Salvador qualifier in 2009 in SLC was rather impressive. I know in the past when SA was only around, a game in SLC would most likely not had the proper support for the match. That was why I was so surprised about the section at the Gold Cup Final. Maybe, in a way, AO is becoming a victim of its own success and its 7000 members. Maybe there has to be a renewed focus on its mission statement.

No disrespect to AO, but it's not really my cup of tea. I've photographed and covered a lot of AO events and there are a lot of cool people in AO, but, for me, what I always liked about SA was that it was rather loosely organized and free-form. If you were a SA, all that meant was you would show up in the supporters section and give your all for a full 90.

I think the USA supporters probably did need to be better organized to really grow in America. It seemed like AO was really doing this, which once again makes me so surprised that the supporters section was so quiet at the Rose Bowl.

14. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, can you clarify this? You say above that you want AO to organize more with local supporters groups (which is already done, BTW), but then say that AO's not for you because you like the SA style of free-form and loose organization.

15. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you guys are welcome to help out on this project ya know! Don't leave it to just me and Ethan.

You guys have balls the size of grapefruits for making that trip.

Well there is plenty of overlap. For example AO DC is comprised of much of the Screaming Eagles. AO Boston is pretty much the Midnight Riders. The current president of the Riders is the VP of AO Boston. Chivas USA guys handled the instruments and other things for the game.

There is certainly coordination between local supporters groups but I think one of things people concerned themselves with, as Brent noted, is separating Club from Country. Again this is me speaking as Garrett not as AO Garrett. I've always felt that clubs should focus on their clubs and national groups should focus on the national group because not everybody in the club group is necessarily a USA fan. If I was a fan of Mexico and in say the Union Ultras I wouldn't be happy about the Union Ultras organizing for the USA. Many people in The Rebellion are off the boat Portuguese so why would they want their club group to back the USA?

As far as issues between AO and SA they aren't as nearly big as people make them out to because, well...look, I really don't want this thread to spiral off into a bitch fest about the problems with SA so I'll leave it at that. I admire what Sam's Army did in the early days of USA support, they did a ton of work. In order to know where you are going you have to know where you came from and SA put down some foundations and framing but they kinda forgot about the Sheetrock, floors, electrical, plumbing...

[/quote]

Growing pains.

I was surprised by the supporters section for the Gold Cup Final too. Earlier in this thread I listed some of the reasons why I think it was such a disorganized mess but it really comes down to poor drumming, a diagonal section, and not being able to see chant leaders unless you looked backwards. You couldn't see people when you looked down the section.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The section was way too small as well. It sold out well in advance and that forced people to buy in other sections and there never was a cohesiveness due to sheer size and being surrounded by the opposition. It's high time MORE seats are allocated to the supporter section beforehand, rather than trying to open it up later. I won't go into the whole General Admission thing again, but if the section is large enough, there is no issue with people cramming in coming from other sections of the stadium (i.e. forced to buy elsewhere because the section sold out).

17. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, CONCACAF had something to do with that. They probably had to allocate the same amount of space to each team, and it's hard to do that once you reach the knockout stages (reason why AO didn't have a dedicated section for the knockout stages--just a U.S. Supporters section). When it's run by USSF, they're in a better position to give us a section that would be big enough to maintain demand.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garrett, Ethan.

Did you include Portland in 1997? WCQ against Costa Rica, Ramos with the goal?

19. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    yup....that was at Civic Stadium (now Jeld-Wen Field). which, by the way, was one of the cooler minor league parks around

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birmingham, 1996 Olympics? I think USA-Argentina?

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Gold Cup was the first time I'd sat in the supporters section and donated my horrific singing voice to the chorus. Simply put, there really isn't an excuse to not know the words. I mean none of these songs are more than 10 words in total, and by the end of the first twenty minutes anybody with a decent memory should be fully capable of singing them. I'd say that's just an excuse for the issue that somebody else brought up, that some people are just uncomfortable with singing in front of others. In Kansas City I was the only one singing in my section half the time. I was in the section between the Minnesota guys, (real good group there) and the behind the goal group. Half the time my section wasn't singing and I was giving a solo effort, which probably sounded terrible. I doubt they weren't singing because they didn't know the words. I don't think they tried.

And I don't follow MLS, so that isn't really an excuse either.

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure we're including Olympic qualifiers or the Olympics on stadium list, but I am just going by the master lists I have.

23. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    at this point the list has only full internationals......

24. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the second or third game at RFK was against Ajax.

25. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--