The USA @ Iowa :: Pre, PBP & Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Jan 30, 2016.

1. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That kinda matches with how I have viewed Rubio - and Urban (city) Republican.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jim Gilmore, former governor of Virginia, got 12 votes. 12! There was a record 185,000 Republican caucus voters out last night and Gilmore attracted just 12. Jeb Bush was repudiated last night. Gilmore wasn't even worthy of repudiation. I'd be interested in knowing if there was a write-in candidate who got more than 12 votes.

On the other hand, the number 185,000 is pretty amazing. I think Brummie posted that 125,000 Republican caucus goers was the norm, so this was an amazing night. And that, paired with an impending snowstorm, means that the Republican base is pretty fired up. Trump's strategy was to try to get more non-caucusers out to vote, and it worked. I will be very interested to see how the voting turnout looks through the rest of the primaries. Iowa was always Cruz's dream first event, but if increased turnout becomes the norm for 2016, then Trump may not be the loser than last night might suggest.

Gov Branstad took it on the chin last night. He was actively campaigning against Cruz, a bit of a break in tradition for him, due to Cruz's unwillingness to support ethanol subsidies. Anything that pegs Branstad back is good for America. This is, I think, a better Iowa win for Cruz than similar winning nights were for Huckabee or Santorum. Cruz is better positioned to play to Republican angst than either Huck or Rick.

4. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    0.2 points

I think the problem is more that Sanders' message resonates with many Democratic primary voters than a particular issue with her. In this field, she's a decent campaigner, especially as others have noted when the chips are down.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think I have come to the realization that if I could have one of those any-6-people-for-dinner kind of evenings, I would want Ann Coulter there, just for the hilarity. She's in rare form:

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Well, somebody had to come in behind Chris Christie. So did Santorum.

Chesco United repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Nevada matters at all in this race. Hell, O'Malley could have won and it would not have mattered. South Carolina is what is important, specifically the Black vote in South Carolina.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    En serio??? Tu crees que Nevada no tiene importancia?

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I totally agree. Who cares about rapists and drug dealers.

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Scott endorsement should help Rubio. Jeb Bush is still running ads, but he's basically at do-or-die in New Hampshire now.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    --Cruz has a LOT more $$ than Huckabee or Santorum did.

--Bush's Right to Rise millions are going to be full-on anti-Rubio in NH the next week.

--Never occurred to me before last night that Trump/Rubio were battling for more of the same voters than Trump/Cruz.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Cruz, I think, will finish 3rd in NH behind Trump and Rubio, should beat the field in South Carolina and Nevada, however Super Tuesday is when I think Rubio makes his big move. Colorado, Mass, Minnesota, Vermont, and Virginia I see as all being winners for Rubio. Any state that has large, urban population centers are places where Rubio should do well.

It'll be an interesting battle between Cruz and Rubio. Trump, I'd guess, will drop out after South Carolina.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Latino and tax-sheltering-retiree lives matter!

Also, all the hipsters in Reno ... and whoever the hell is living in Winnemucca these days.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Mallard Fillmore.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you there, trying to troll Gen Xers.