The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, turns out Gorsuch is a Phi Gamma Delta.

Wonder if he shows up wearing purple Converses to the nomination hearing.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is the key. Preserving the filibuster now (by letting Gorsuch through) does not preserve the filibuster for later. The moment McConnell finds it a nuisance, it's gone anyway.
    Which is why the Dems won't do it.

American Brummie repped this.
  4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Also: who?

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    IMO, the smartest thing is to just abstain from voting and save the fillibuster for a truly egregious act in the next two years.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There is no "saving" the filibuster.

7. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I don't think it's going to matter. McConnell doesn't give a shit and anything too politically dangerous for the GOP will be dealt with behind closed doors in committee meetings. Generally the party which occupies the WH loses seats in midterm elections so the republicans will be especially wary of looking like total Nazis during Trump's first two years of his first term. Now you might think I just contradicted myself but if democrats look like pure obstructionists then the GOP will easily be able to sell their killing of the filibuster to their base + R leaners. They will test the wind after midterms and then begin the really hard stuff if they have the mandate. If they lose a bunch of seats I think we will see them turn on Trump and try to save their skins for 2020.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the invasion of neighbors and killing of millions of Jews won't happen until 2019?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    826831599891210241 is not a valid tweet id

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Because of Obstructionism.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Also those people that voted Obama in 2012/2008, and then either didn't vote or voted Trump in 2016. The same people that disapproved of Trump, but voted for him anyways

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd that turn out in 2010, 2014, and 2016? For that matter, how'd it turn out in 2012 and 2008?

Just once - just ONCE - somebody answer a data question I ask. Go through history and find one instance where minority obstruction resulted in consecutive electoral defeat.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yea, that was more about an economy than anything else. They obstructed to make the economy worse, so they could make the people feel worse, who in turn punished the President's party.

You basically learned the wrong lesson

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe Bork, but I'm not going to the wall to defend that one. At least not until after I eat my lunch.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One time in history. Just one.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think it's silly to think that one option has more benefits than the other. I see landmines regardless of what Dems do. The sooner people understand the fact that Dems have almost no leverage in Washington, the better.

Elections have consequences. If Dems want different outcomes, then show the fcuk up in 2018!

American Brummie repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #42 Dr. Wankler, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    That wasn't the minority party, you ********ing idiot. Geez, get more protein at breakfast so your brain functions into the afternoon.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, there is a chance that the GOP will get 60 seats in the senate after the 2018 election, so if you want the Reps to go nuclear, it is better to do it now then when they may be able to force SC justices with a filibuster proof majority.

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've voted in every election since 1972. It's really not that difficult.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This is pure, partisan based obstructionism for no real reason other than being a sore loser.

stanger repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderates are completely irrelevant in today's politics. Might as well talk about flat earthers' preferences.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Radley Balko argues that Democrats should let Gorsuch be confirmed, because it might help the country over the next four years from Trump's power grabs.

I think Trump presents a unique threat to American democracy. In fact, I think there’s small but not insignificant risk that he represents the end of American democracy. (If that sounds like hyperbole, remember that his top adviser Steve Bannon has compared himself to Lenin.) In that context, Gorsuch is something of a gift — although probably an unintentional one.

An opposition party should choose its battles carefully. Over the past several days, tens of thousands of people have taken to airports, streets and congressional offices to protest Trump’s odious immigration order and the reckless manner in which it was carried out. Draft orders leaked by the administration this week are more frightening still. I can’t say for certain that Gorsuch thinks those orders are unlawful, but he does have a history of ruling against the executive overreach in immigration cases. The Post reported yesterday that Jeff Sessions not only helped plan Trump’s first week in office but also wanted Trump to go a lot farther — and is the “intellectual godfather” of some of the ugliest facets of Trumpism. If the Democrats are going to muster the will and political capital to tank a nominee and send the Trump administration a message, Sessions seems like a far better target.

That makes sense to me.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that they have the tools currently to block Gorsuch, I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) democrats can not filibuster Sessions.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine. Show me an instance where it hurt the obstructionists.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't actually care about that. It's wrong.