The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I subscribe to SciAm. What the article fails to mention is how a multinational managed to conduct "unprecedented climate research" yet the rest of us were just worried about the Population Bomb.
    So before there was scientific consensus, they thought they knew something nobody else did, and responded in a way that protected the bottom line. I'm not surprised.
    I read Dead Heat in the early 1990's and became really concerned and active on climate issues, and then nothing happened. So I decided to moderate my personal beliefs on the issue. Which is to essentially believe the irrefutable proof of man-made climate change, but to also be very skeptical of End of Days projections.

Boloni86 repped this.
  2. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    The idea that individual consumers bear the responsibility for the negative effects of corporations' actions (or for limiting those negative effects) is ludicrous. Consumers cannot be expected to have anywhere close to full information on the negative externalities involved in the production of everything they buy.

And even if it was possible for consumers to be have that degree of information (which will never be remotely the case), there would still be collective action/free rider problems preventing consumers from turning their desire for socially responsible production into meaningful outcomes.

Presumably you think that millions of children who had their mental function permanently damaged by leaded paint and leaded gas secretly wanted to have their brains crippled by neurotoxins. Otherwise, why would the noble corporations have fought to keep lead in paint and gas, and used their financial and political power to attack legitimate science about the effects of lead (and to promote slanted research in its place)?

Your rosy vision of corporations ignores basic economic realities shaping their incentives, and ignores real-world historical experience about their impacts. It's true that, as an essential part of a market economy, corporations attend to consumer demands, and drive welfare-enhancing efficiencies and innovations - these are very good things. Nonetheless, they also do lots of bad things, and use their financial resources to undermine democratically elected governments who attempt to limit those negative effects.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's probably a good idea. I can think of a couple of writers and activists that have been like that since the sixties on this issue. Naturally, no one paid a lot of attention to them compared to the "by the year 2015, rain will melt skin on impact and Little Rock Arkansas will be on the Gulf of Mexico" people, which is unfortunate for many reasons.

4. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for expressing my point way more eloquently than I could.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, why did you become a corporation?

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For 25 years I was the owner of an international business, with a small factory in China and distribution centers in the USA, Mexico, Argentina, and customers worldwide. I became incorporated first in California, and then also through some partners in Liaoning province in China, as well as in Mexico and Argentina. Now I have closed my business, but I still kept myself incorporated in California because I can still do some deals -mostly connecting people- while limiting my own exposure.

I was just looking at this thread, how I mentioned bias against corporations, and in response some posters made the effort to single out specific corporations that did bad things and started giving rep to each other for pointing out those bad things, all seemingly in an effort to make corporations in general look bad.

I wonder, what is the agenda in doing this? I fail to see how it is any different from some Donald Trump supporters singling out immigrants who committed crimes to make all immigrants in general look bad.

I am a corporation and I am an immigrant, and I am proud of being both. As a corporation, I provided jobs and benefits, as well as products and services that people wanted. I paid attention to my employees and my customers. As an immigrant, I brought cultural diversity and commitment to work to the best of my ability to improve the society I chose to join. I tried to be responsible. I never intended to poison the environment, just as I never intended to rape the natives. I don't think anybody here is going to convince me that I'm bad by singling out others who are presumably like me who may have done bad things.

ceezmad, crazypete13, stanger and 3 others repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    See also - sidesaddle gas tanks in GM pickups.

Brian Taft joined the C/K death list in November 2007. As he pulled out of a parking lot near midnight in Clifton Township, Pennsylvania, his pickup was broadsided by an SUV. Taft suffered broken ribs, but that's not what killed him, an autopsy found. Instead, it was the fireball that engulfed both vehicles when Taft's gas tank ruptured and the pickup exploded. Burned on 99 percent of his body, Taft left a wife and two young children. (The other driver survived.)

Taft, 36, was behind the wheel of a 1986 GM pickup, one of more than 9 million in the popular C/K line sold in the 1970s and '80s. For marketing reasons, the trucks had an unusual design feature. GM wanted to offer 40 gallons of fuel capacity, but there was no place to mount a tank that big. So it offered twin 20 gallon tanks, each nearly 5 feet long, two explosive containers hanging like saddle bags outside the truck's protective frame. Even after decades, that choice still resonates in the courts, in the lives of bereaved families and in the disfiguring scars of survivors.

Hundreds have been killed in fiery crashes of the side-saddle pickups, and many others suffered disfiguring burns. A review by FairWarning found that at least 100 people have perished by fire since federal authorities dropped an investigation that could have led to the trucks' recall.

Sixteen years ago, a probe (pdf) by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, part of the Department of Transportation, found the risk of burning to death in side-impact crashes was much higher (pdf) in the GM trucks than in rival full-size pickups. But under intense pressure from GM and its congressional allies, transportation officials blinked, announcing a settlement in December 1994 that left millions of the trucks on the road. In exchange, GM agreed to pay $51.4 million for safety programs—things like buying child car seats for poor families—that transportation officials said would save many lives.

By that time, more than 600 people had burned to death in C/K post-collision fires. And the agreement did nothing about the remaining side-saddle pickups, described by consumer advocates and victims' lawyers as the most dangerous vehicles, from a fire risk standpoint, ever produced.

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2010/03/gm-ck-exploding-pickup

8. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we aren't saying that all corporations are bad. We're saying strong regulations are good for the corporate world. Not everyone is as upstanding as you.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, I don't think many lefties are against corporations per se.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Most of us are just the Citizens United ruling and seeing them as people

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rep for calling me upstanding, much appreciated. :)

I'm just a regular guy and a regular business owner. When I got to know people from all over the world I found that the great majority of them are good, upstanding people, and there are always a few assholes. Likewise, by doing business all these years I found that most companies are composed of good upstanding people, and behave like good upstanding people do. But yeah, there are also a few companies that behave like assholes. The assholes are a small minority, but they get a lot of the attention.

As far as regulations, just like we need laws for people so they don't steal, rape, murder etc, we need regulations for businesses so they don't commit fraud, poison the environment etc. Of course we must have some regulations. I believe regulations are good, but we shouldn't regulate just for the sake of regulating, just like we shouldn't pass laws just for the sake of passing laws.

In my view, government should pass regulations on businesses that are simple, fair, and necessary. Unfortunately, many regulations we have today are anything but.

raza_rebel repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But here's the thing. Large corporations have a lot of power - much more power than individual people do. They have this power because of their size, and their money, and the fact that they employ lots of people. A wise philosopher, perhaps Plato or Confucius, said "with great power comes great responsibility", and if big corporations want to use their power responsibly, that's fine, but many of them don't. Many of them use their power to influence the political system to give themselves advantages that individual people can't hope to obtain.

It's not like a bunch of murderers can get together and lobby their local governments to overturn laws against murder. But corporations can and do use their power to overturn regulations against their industry, to put barriers in place to prevent smaller competitors from joining their industry, and to change the political landscape to favor their business. When they do that, they get regulated (or at least they should). I don't think anyone is suggesting that corporations should be regulated for the sake of regulation - the regulations that people are asking for are in response to actual bad behavior by bad corporate actors.

Boloni86, crazypete13 and flowergirl repped this.
  13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #238 raza_rebel, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Hear hear good sir. I agree with this statement and to add onto that, I noticed some of the laws/decisions I was involved in was an individual/group looking to legally circumvent a specific law, which is how you end up with over-regulation.

I will make this short and succinct before I bore everyone but before I left the regulatory side of NOAA last year, I was a subject matter expert involved in a decision on a nature watching issue. In short, 1 nature tour outfit in South Florida was cited for breaking the observational distance of endangered turtles, manatees and dolphins. The outfit could be cited from 1K to 9K depending on the severity and if the violation was considered harassment, which in many cases it can, their license would be revoked. (http://www.gc.noaa.gov/documents/gces/6-ESA/esa_1208.pdf) page 3. Now the loophole exists if an endangered species pursues you or you happen to cross paths, you are in the clear. For example, you are going in a straight line and a manatee crosses in front of you or swims up to you, you are good. Well, the nature tour company altered their course they could continue in a straight line BUT get a lot closer, especially with slower manatees and dolphin pods who roam their territory. This resulted in 2 manatee deaths and NOAA/USFWS having to revise that statute to not include alterations to a nature tour not to tack(turn) more than 90 degrees. Before that decision was even passed, tour companies were rumoured to have nature tours that were...let's say...meandering...and magically less than 90 degrees. When I left, that revision is now being revised. o_O

tl;dr - Some jackholes always want to find a way around the rules and ruin it for everyone. This gears up more rules and over-regulation.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    That's exactly it. Some bad actors ruining it for other good actors. This is why we have speed limits. Many of us could operate our vehicles safely at another 10-20 MPH, but because many others can't, we're forced to have a rule that standardizes it for everyone. This is why we drug test pilots. We don't presume that they all smoke crack, but at some point there was one pilot that did, and now we have to check the others.

I'm in the process of starting my own business. It's my first venture into entrepreneurship, so I'm learning a lot about licensing, taxes, state regulations, federal regulations etc ... It's definitely overwhelming. I understand when people say that it's a lot and it can feel oppressive if you have a negative attitude. I try to be positive about it though. I actually like rules that are clearly stated and are applied evenly to everyone including my competitors. I prefer that over what happens in other countries where you need to bribe people to run a business, and if your competitor pays more, maybe you don't pass your inspections.

Whenever this topic of regulations comes up, I always say that it's not the number of regulations, but the quality of the regulations. You can't approach this in general terms. Every law and every regulation is different. Some are good, some maybe not so good. You have to approach each one individually before forming an opinion, because otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #240 ceezmad, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    50 years of loving vs Virginia.

I do wonder how they count marriages between Latinos of different races, they perhaps get grouped into the non-white Hispanic category or in the other interracial.

Just looking at the chart below, it looks like the largest 2 groups are "other to other" and "white-Hispanics to whites".

It does bring up a question, are white Hispanic to whites actually interracial marriages? An Uruguayan of Italian origin marrying a New Yorker of Italian origin is interracial marriage? How about a Colombian of African origin marrying a Californian of African origin?

[​IMG]

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/06/daily-chart-7

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This isn't Supreme Court related, but I thought I'd drop it in here. Here's some footage of a Judicial Committee hearing for a Trump nominee for a federal appeals court seat.

So yes. This guy is an admitted birtherist and fake news peddler. And the Trump administration sees him fit to be a federal judge.

Just imagine how many people like this could see their careers advance in government over the next 4-8 years. This is how fascism happens. It doesn't happen in an overnight coup. It's a gradual process that takes over one government position at a time.

Also, kudos to Al Franken who yet again is shining at these hearings. He always seems well prepared and is always asking the right questions. He was never my favorite senator, but he's slowly growing on me.

soccernutter, sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Al Franken, Giant of the Senate

Dead Fingers repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that racist asshole will be confirmed I am sure by the GOP.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Mr. Warmth

Not good news.

Supreme Court sides with band the Slants and strikes down law banning offensive trademarks

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-slants-disparate-trademark-20170619-story.html

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Slants? Totally derivative.

[​IMG]

Moishe repped this.
  21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll keep fighting. Resistance via Persistence

22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bigger question to me is why does anyone care? Seriously, in what world does this matter at all?

American Brummie repped this.
  23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will make a prediction that SCOTUS reverses the circuit court on partisan gerrymandering.

I've been wrong so often, hopefully my prediction turns out false.

Also I predict Ossoff loses to Handel.

fingers crossed!

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do wonder what the implications will be where gerrymandering occurs due to everyone wanting a chunk of a wealthy area rather than power.

I don't see how Ossoff wins. It would take a whole bunch of people not showing up. The interesting thing is that it is even this close and that the Republican candidate has more money spent on her campaign even if she isn't directly getting the money. It's remarkable that a Republican district since integration with a 24-30% margin is even close.

sitruc repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It will matter in this world until people react to ethnicity as they do to hair color ... that is, not thinking twice about the subject, even they even remember it at all. In other words, it will matter in this world until long after we are gone.