The (un)Official U.S.A. Subbuteo Players Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by writered21, Jun 11, 2004.

1. gr000000vy

gr000000vy New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i saw this game on the movie Fever Pitch a couple weeks ago and just had to look more into it... I bought a game on ebay which is what i thought it was, but it was called tipp kick....

where would i go about getting this game? how much would i expect to pay for it? is ebay the way to go here?

thanks... oh yea is anyone here from colorado springs?

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check above for all the info.

Ebay is a good source, but most of the suppliers are better.

Check out the ASA website for more info.

3. gr000000vy

gr000000vy New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there a difference between Subbuteo and Superfooty? or are they the same game?

thanks!

4. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Yes they are the same. Subbuteo and Superfooty are just "brand names". The name Subbuteo is owned by Hasbro and currently poorly used by them. Superfooty is owned by Dave in Canada. (He runs www.worldtablesoccer.com)

5. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The word "Subbuteo" is now used in much the same way the term "TiVo" is used for any DVR, or "Hoover" is used instead of "vacuum" particularly in the UK. I play Subbuteo but I have a pitch by Woodentop, goals made by a bloke in his garage, bases by Flickmaster and PTF, and goalies from two other manufacturers. It's all Subbuteo to us!

Whatever the trademark ramifications, our use of the term is much better than Hasbro's...

6. gr000000vy

gr000000vy New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok here is a newbie question...

I got my game... put it on a board and started playing.... after reading the rules i cant find the answer to this....

am i allowed to move my defenders at any time? can i move players not involved with the offensive play anytime?

Can you place a player in a offside position?

thanks... sorry just didnt see these answers in the rule book i got with the game....

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome,

Defenders - you can make one defensive flick after each attacking flick by your opponent.

You can place a player anywhere, but should the ball pass the last defender, he will be offside... except on a throw in.

Attacking - only the figure playing the ball may be flicked. So no off the ball running ;)

Hope that helps.

Where are you located?

8. gr000000vy

gr000000vy New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh ok, that makes more sense then.. thanks!

i'm in colorado springs.... know anyone out here?

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the closest are the guys in Utah and Idaho, then Wayne in California.

10. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're pretty much in the Subbuteo desert out there. Although I think a couple of clubs in Texas and Oklahoma are closer to you than California ;o)

A trick most use for "off the ball running" is similar to a shot in pool. If you want the ball to roll on down the table after taking one shot to set up the other, you make sure the shot gives you the angle and you cut the shot instead of hitting it straight. In Subbuteo, by edging the ball, the player glides on into the desired position. A useful play if you have a triangle consisting of two players and the ball ahead of you, and you want to get a player upfield.

Defensive flicks can only be made after each touch of the ball by an attacking player, and each one expires once the ball is struck again. When you're learning it's best to wait for the opponent to make a move (don't take too long for each flick, you want to keep some action going) but once you have some level of skill move on up to more of a flowing game, where your attacking flicks don't get interrupted by defensive flicks, and the defender has to fit his flicks in when he can.

Check YouTube and Video.Google for various clips of the game in action to see how the game is played.

Also there's some great videos here:
    http://flick2kick.typepad.com/

11. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you Pittsburgh guys gotten together yet?

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yeah, I'll be in the Steel City next week (North Hills) and wouldn't mind a flick-around.

14. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Feel free to contact me (Jim) at pghtsl @ hotmail.com. Might be able to set up a little tournament with me and Mike. I am sure he would love to flick around a little bit before going to the Nationals.

15. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Just wanted to throw out an update for those looking for Subbuteo/Table Soccer equipment. Paul's site has changed. It is now located at http://www.tablesoccerusa.com/

16. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Subbuteo too :) No one to play with though :(

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you move yet? How far is Hartford for you? 7 hours? ;)

18. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Might have to hop across the border to Toronto, there's a couple of players there.

19. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    keem-o-sabi, contact the guys at canadiansubbuteo.ca, maybe they'll put you in touch with a local player.

Dutch soccer fans please note there is a week long tournament taking place in Holland, Michigan during Tulip Time (May 4-10). We'll run at least 10 of the Eredivisie teams if not the whole 18. Register by January 15th to guarantee a spot (although it is first come first served and the limit is set at 18). Entry fee is $15 which includes the replica team you play with.

Contact me for more info and with any questions.

20. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what is this?? and how do yo play

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wiki description

[​IMG]

http://www.stlsubbuteo.com/ofallon/jeffart/flames08kit_yel_back.jpg/img]

Pictures aren't coming out:

[url=http://americansubbuteo.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1] The American Subbuteo Site [/url]

22. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Missing part of your tag, Ed.

[​IMG]

There's a [ missing at the start of the /img] closing tag.

Here's a good YouTube clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H2AYYUuokc
    Some of the vids you get on there are 'pants' with kids messing around but there's a few videos of real play. Google Video has some more too. Do a video search on Google for subbuteo and you'll get results on both sites.

IvanIV repped this.
  23. Simon_H

Simon_H New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Simi Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know there was a bad link in this thread to our web site. You'll find the So Cal Subbuteo Club at http://socalsubbuteo.com

We are always looking for players, new & old, in So Cal who are interested in playing.

We meet most weeks & would love to have more players come join us. Check the website & its calendar for what's coming up. Use the Contact Us page to let us know you are interesting in joining the fun.

[​IMG]

24. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got a set for my kids and am bidding on a 2013 sheffield wednesday set as we speak...

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about this thread. I'm doing some work in Nashville, so i need to see if I can get it going up there.