The Ultimate Football Coaches of All Time, what's your top 25?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AllWhitebeliever, Dec 6, 2007.

1. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    You failed to address my question. You are too negative and presumptuous for proper discussion.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Is two and a half years of management enough to be ranked 22nd (Zidane)?
    Yes the three CL titles is impressive but his second full leaguie season was poor. I don't see enough there for the lofty position, especially ahead of someone like Bob Paisley.

wm442433 repped this.
  3. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I think they should be paired in the ranking. One right after (...or right before) the other. With the priority to Paisley for now perhaps, yes.
    And in the same bracket as Heynckes, as it is, roughly. Then I dunno about what to do of Chapman (and Maslov) compared to them (different types of coaches).

4. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Chapman's a hard one to judge because of how long ago he worked so comparisons are nigh on impossible, but he was massively influential both on and off the field and highly successful. His W-M changed the way the game was played, he set the blueprint for managers in England with his involvement away from coaching and shaped two clubs who won three successive league titles (out of the 4 instances in England). I'm not sure what more you could ask of anyone at the time.

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    THE MANAGER

THE ETERNAL ICON OF MANCHESTER UNITED HAS ADAPTED TO ALL EVOLUTIONS AND TO ALL PLAYER PROFILES TO MAKE THE BEST DURING THREE DECADES. WITH PERMANENT OBSESSION: WIN.

Alex FERGUSON (Scotland, 1974-2013) COURSE: East Stirlingshire, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Scotland and Manchester United.
    HIS ARMS: The 1999 Premier League - Cup - Champions League treble within just eleven days.

"Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta-ra Fergie. This banner, which was released on Saturday by Crystal Palace defenders by a few Mancunian fans on the verge of a nervous breakdown, has remained famous in the United Kingdom. Three years after his arrival at Man United, Alex Ferguson was not yet Sir Alex, no one spoke then of "Fergie time" and his destiny no longer seemed to hold by a thread. At the end of autumn 1989, the team was trailing in twelfth place, the quality of its collective game was debatable and the vox populi had thus made it known: "Three years of excuses and it is always the shit. Farewell Fergie." Six months later, the Scottish coach would win the Cup, then the Cup Winners Cup the following year, and the story would never be the same again. "If we had not eliminated Nottingham Forest in the third round thanks to a goal from Mark Robins", he will confide, "I may have been fired. We'll never know ... "

Before becoming the of the Red Devils at the age of nearly forty-five, he led the team for 1,500 games and twenty-seven seasons at a staggering 60% victories and won thirty-five. eight trophies, including thirteen league titles and two Champions Leagues, Ferguson had a first life in Scotland. Especially in Aberdeen, where he had already built up a solid reputation as a competitor and leader of men, breaking the ancestral domination of the two clubs of Glasgow, offering himself a first Cup Winners Cup (1983) and forging there a exceptional state of mind. His record longevity in Manchester, its expert man management, whether in the management of the locker room, the daily life of the club or the transfer market, and its unique leadership sometimes punctuated by memorable anger have finally prevail. Bobby Charlton, another legend of the club, says: "He is the biggest motivator I've ever known." He confesses: "Never in my life I played for a draw. "

EXPERT IN RENEWAL
    At the height of his domination and at the peak of his art, in the late 1990s, MU was a team capable of doing everything better than the others, sometimes English when it came to fight, to put intensity and to go to the simplest, sometimes more Latin when it was necessary to invent, to apply madness and to return impossible situations. His technical record in the history of the game remains rather slim, however, and it is more the ability of Ferguson to know how to renew generations, transmit his strength of character and change the collective expression of his teams, while continuing to to win titles, which subsists. If he does not pass for an outstanding tactician, Ferguson was champion of England with personalities and profiles as different as Cantona, Ince, Keane and Schmeichel in 1994, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Neville brothers in 1999 or Cristiano Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Rooney and Tevez in 2008. Laurent Blanc, his player for two seasons, told us yet on the eve of the final of C1 2008: "Fifteen or twenty years ago, Manchester, it was above all a quality of playing centers, from English head-to-head, from physical engagement, and often it was long. Today, and even when I was there, it is clear from behind, it plays on the ground, everything happens in the heart of the game and if there is always the answer to fight, the team ends up make the difference thanks to the quality of his football and the will to impose his game." But we do not rebuild the sport. If the year 1999 still gives him thrills twenty years later, Ferguson, speaking of the sworn enemy and the most titled club of the country until his arrival, always recalls: "My biggest challenge will be to dislodge Liverpool of their *** perch."

THE REVOLUTIONARY

IT IS THE MAN WHO CHANGED ITALIAN FOOTBALL BY MAKING AC MILAN A PLAYING, BRILLIANT AND AVANTGARDIST TEAM. OUTSTANDING TACTICIAN, HE WAS LOOKING FOR PERFECTION UNTIL YOU HAVE HIS HEALTH.

Arrigo SACCHI (Italy, 1982-2001) COURSE: Rimini, Parma, AC Milan, Italy and Atletico Madrid.
    HIS ARMS: the double victory in the Champions Cup in 1989 and 1990.

His record is not colossal and his first life in Milan lasted only four seasons (1987-1991), yet no major title is missing. And if his peasant roots (he was born just after the war in Fusignano, a village of Emilia-Romagna) and his past as a simple amateur player have sometimes been mocked, there is maybe no more important Italian coach, more influential and especially more innovative in modern history. In the late 1980s, it was he who dusted the image of calcio, changed his defensive mentality and shoved the tactical DNA of Serie A. He was inspired, and claimed a whole new generation of technicians for thirty years, beginning with Carlo Ancelotti, Louis van Gaal and even Jürgen Klopp. He, too, has reopened the field of possibilities by posing as prerequisites movement, collective intelligence and technical mastery rather than mere possession.

ELEVEN PLAYERS AS ONE
    Arrigo Sacchi's playing philosophy, imbued with both Brazilian juxtaposition and total Dutch football, but which was nevertheless revolutionary for the time, was based on a few key principles, non-negotiable, and incidentally also, of a terrible physical requirement. First? A hyper-sophisticated and organized zone defense, based on alignment and offside, and an always compact team block that promotes both space reduction off-the-ball, mutual coverage and fast ball recovery. With as a secret bottle, the so-called elastic tactics described by Marcel Desailly, who met "the Mister" at the end of 1996: "When the team lost the ball, the defense unhooks suddenly, attracts the opponent to the created space in the middle and falls back to ten meters to trap them and put them off-side."

Then, a very strong collective pressing to be able to keep or take again the initiative of the game, to invest as much as possible the half of the opponent's ground and thus to control the match. On the eve of the 1989 C1 final against Steaua Bucharest (4-0), Sacchi explained to his players, for example: "If you play on thirty meters, no team can beat us. We will therefore simply keep a short block."

Finally, a lot of aggressiveness, mobility, technical accuracy and above all a lot of coordination in each displacement. All, of course, packed in an immutable 4-4-2 that was also his trademark. Another confession of the Milanese coach to highlight the virtues of synchronism and the collective: "My team actually did not run more than the others, but it ran better and its eleven players thought as one. In short, unity of action and thought." The team of the season 1988-89, the one who massacred Real Madrid 5-0 in the semifinals back of the Champions Cup, succeeded according to him that night "the perfect match" (Galli -Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi Maldini - Colombo, Rijkaard, Donadoni, Ancelotti - Gullit, Van Basten), remains today his absolute masterpiece. An exceptional cocktail of speed, technique, balance and elaborate play, but also pressing, intensity, verticality and power. One day when the two men had met, Pep Guardiola, with his success at Barça, had told him with humility: "I only hope that I will be remembered in twenty years as we remember you twenty years later." In his autobiography Total Calcio, published in 2015, Sacchi said this: "My life as a coach has been a race to search for perfection. She brought me a lot of joys and emotions. But the stress ended up winning the game ... " In the long run, being a genius can become exhausting.

---------------

They are not all that long. To be continued tomorrow.

comme repped this.
  6. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Right. Then, the Danubian School and stuffs figures are not on the list.
    ( I would not know what to do with Maslov, still)

7. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Negative? This from the person who just torpedoed the entire careers of half a dozen of the greatest managers in history with simple equation marks? :laugh:

I'll answer your question with another pair of questions. Who bought Suarez to Inter, and is or isn't team-building part of a manager's job?

Now tell me what your list of inclusions achieved without world class players? Looks like Bora Milutinovic wins by default!
    But wait, Bora Milutinovic= Li Tie and Luis Coppelo Cojone.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #58 PuckVanHeel, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Yes. Many people have remarked Liedholm (most famously) was already going to that direction, but he still played with a sweeper (Di Bartolomei) and was also in everything they did slower in execution (1980s Serie A style movement and slow transitions). What Sacchi did with timed pressing, flat back four, quick transitions and compact blocks was quickly followed and crucial for the overall dominance Italians club teams had between 1988 and 1998 (as John Foot's Calcio book remarks too). With maybe 'fantastistas' as Baggio as a victim of this, too.

Whether the more adventurous parts of him survived (Gullit btw commented after a 1-0 he became more cautious, still), and embraced by other Italian managers, is open for discussion. The backpass rule and offside changes provided a sudden bump in GPG after 1992. Another thing is Sacchi never made a secret of the big foreign influences on him (among them travels to Amsterdam in the 1970s), applying that, with modifications, to an Italian context.

edit: see here Baresi his remarks on Liedholm at page 13.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Think his current stint with Real will let us answer that. Worth noting that in those 2.5 years he won more Champions League titles than nearly every manager in history. Unprecedented back-to-back and then a three-peat... that is extremely impressive and overshadows any poor league performances, IMO, simply because at the end of the day, if we're discussing all-time greatness, EC/CL > League achievements every day of the week. Each of the La Ligas Barcelona won they'd trade for a CL title which says enough about that.

And while he did have a start-studded team led by the CL GOAT in Ronaldo, I believe he has extremely good management skills which, coupled with his apparent general intelligence (and playing career), commands the respect of everyone playing under him. For a guy whose last act of note in his career was headbutting an opposing player and getting sent-off in a World Cup final, he seems to be pretty soft-spoken and thoughtful in what he says and does.

I wouldn't be surprised if he climbs up that list over time.

10. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He may well end up towards the top of such lists, but I just think it's a bit too early to be ranking him ahead of a guy who, in 9 seasons, won 6 titles (in a highly competetive league), 3 European Cups and a UEFA Cup.

comme repped this.
  11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't disagree. The list is trash. And to think the people that created it were actually paid to do so...

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What hurts Paisley is that often Shankly gets the praise for the groundwork, and this is clearly very much relevant for the criteria they set out.

That said, those criteria (influence on the game, attested descendance) can only be judged for Zidane with time and of course Ancelotti won the CL with Madrid just before him.

Maybe it is possible to say Zidane himself cannot be linked to any great manager of the past (Ancelotti is seen as indebted to Sacchi, see that later), much like Michels where, for all the talk about Buckingham, there is no real and obvious starting point before him either.

13. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Only four South Americans in the list, two of whom are best known for their work in Europe. No Lula, Bianchi, Lorenzo, Cubilla or Roberto Scarone.

Other notable omissions: Hogan, Rappan, Roux, Daucik, Jenei, Boskov.

Bob Paisley's reputation may owe something to Shankly. But the same is true the other way round. In his own time, Shankly was on a par with contemporary Don Revie, with the Leeds manager probably rated a touch higher. Liverpool's success after Shankly's retirement undoubtedly boosted his standing.

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Scolari feels like a big omission. Did very well at club level in South America, won the World Cup and also did good things with Portugal.

Frank Rijkaard feels an odd inclusion. Obviously did well at Barca but did any other part of his career indicate he was a good coach?

Zidane feels like a premature inclusion or an overrated one.

Also, I struggle to see Ancelotti as a better coach/manager than Capello. Particularly at league level (which is really the acid test of quality rather than luck), Capello's record is exceptional.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #65 PuckVanHeel, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Here a small section (there is a second small section, to be posted later):

THERE ARE ALSO GREAT NATIONAL TEAM COACHES

THE GAME PHILOSOPHY, THE MANAGEMENT STYLE OR THE LIST OF SOME TECHNICIANS ARE ALSO PASSED TO POSTERITY THANKS TO THE SELECTION FOOTBALL. BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER PROFESSION.

The great revolutions of the game usually arise from a meeting between a man, a Club and a moment. The WM of Herbert Chapman in Arsenal in the years 1930, the Catenaccio of Helenio Herrera at the inter at the dawn of the 1960 years, the total football of Rinus Michels to AJAX at the hinge of the years 1960-1970 or, closer to us, the pressing version Arrigo Sacchi in Milan and the a dream team by Johan Cruyff in Barcelona. They never come out of nowhere, and they are always the result of history, influences and experimentation. Except that their common denominator most often remains club football. The English pioneers of the inter-war period, examples Jimmy Hogan or Jack Reynolds, broadcast their concepts by exporting their know-how to Austria Vienna, MTK Budapest and AJAX. And it was by emigrating to South America at the end of the 1930 years that many coaches from Central Europe, where then beat the heart of the game and ideas, changed the destiny of Brazilian teams like Flamengo and Botafogo (Izidor Kürschner) or Argentina as River Plate (Imre Hirschl). At the time when the European cups did not exist, the football of selections was however the best yardstick and the world cups its showcase. In the hollow, the national teams were mainly used as benchmarks and incubators. Among the most innovative of them?
    The Austrian Wunderteam of Hugo Meisl in the years 1920 and 1930, Italy of Vittorio Pozzo, double world champion in 1934 and 1938, the Switzerland of Karl Rappan pre-war, which already foreshadowed the Catenaccio, but especially the Hungary of Gusztav Sebes of years 1950, the absolute reference of the beautiful game for the post-war generation and announcing the 4-2-4 popularized then by Brazil. Except that national team selecter, it's something else. "As a national team coach", we were once told by Michel Platini, "each match has its own history. And, every time, you have to make a move and reason over ninety minutes without actually projecting yourself further. You also don't manage players the same way. So we agree, you do not do the same job."

However, it is difficult not to not think about Mario Zagallo, world champion with Brazil of 1970, probably the most beautiful team of all time, as a great coach. To reduce the aura and impact of the great German selectioners who won the World Cup, Sepp Herberger (1954), Helmut Schön (1974), Franz Beckenbauer (1990) and Joachim Löw (2014), in the history of football. Or to underestimate the flair, the quality of management and the personality of Aimé Jacquet and Didier Deschamps, on the pretext that the form more than the background excludes discussion and that the team of France, as said Carlos Alberto Parreira, champion of the World 1994, "had not come to Russia to impress people, but to win." Life being well made elsewhere, it even happened that great club coaches become great national team coaches, skillfully mix genres and also win on both tables, in the image of Rinus Michels (stamped AJAX and Barcelona) with the Netherlands to euro 88 or Vicente del Bosque (Certified Real Madrid) with Spain at the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012. Or better yet: that the game philosophies of two world champion coaches at eight years apart continue to divide a country today still and delimit a line of ideological sharing as a clarity. According to the fact that we are pro-Menotti or Pro-Bilardo, football in Argentina does not live the same way.

---------------

To just omit national team coaches is maybe debatable. Those exploits are actually mentioned in the profiles of Del Bosque, Aragones and Rijkaard (?), but a convincing club career is a minimal requirement.

As remarked by me in 2018, I think it is certainly true there are more 'great' club coaches who did reasonably well as a national team coach later on, than the other way around. The seemingly great national team managers (built up that reputation first) who then do well as club coach are scarcer.

Deschamps was not too bad as club trainer (I think), but maybe not enough for inclusion and more pragmatic/intuitive than systematic, and Beckenbauer was very good for his own club team as far as a interim manager can be judged (replacing Rehhagel), but a few steps down when dropped in Tapie's Marseille (which was then an European elite team). Furthermore, the actual win percentage of guys like Deschamps (which is good, but not outstanding given material) tell maybe as much as the world title behind a name.

16. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    One could maybe make the argument that being a NT-manager is actually the harder job, exactly because they have so little time to make an imprint. It's a lot easier to get a club team to play well, especially in recent years. How many NTs can you say have played great football in the last 20 years?

On that subject, I was originally part of the Zagallo-undermining crew. "Yeah, it's easy to be a great manager when you've got the best players". Then I realized what an accomplishment it was to actually get them to play well together. Zagallo managed to marry together five guys that others said couldn't play together. For contrast, look at his counterpart in the 1970-final, who was so infested with coach-think he couldn't even marry together his two stars, and we saw what the result was. Or look at recent/current Argentina. They have the best attacking artillery in the world, but these clown coaches have their awesome method that seems to require dropping all of them one at a time in favor of guys who barely score in the Argie-league.

BTW, I'm not surprised Carlos Alberto will smugly say they didn't come to impress. That's because he doesn't know how to do it. We saw Parreira's version of the 1970-style all-Pepsi squad in 2006, and look how that turned out.

"Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to do nothing", said Oscar Wilde (Or Tyrion Lannister). In football terms, sometimes the best coach is the one who manages to not f'k his team up with over-elaborate coaching systems.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #67 PuckVanHeel, Mar 20, 2019

I think each different job or sphere has its own peculiarities and challenges. There are CEOs of big firms who are unable to learn how to clean a bicycle, do the laundry, or read a book (dyslexia).

However, as mentioned, there are way more successful club coaches who then do decent as national team manager, than the other way around (I think). The list of winning (or exciting) national team managers who aren't that solid in a club scene is long. France Football doesn't ignore the national team resume but it is not sufficient in itself.

The right word in the quote cited above is indeed 'sometimes'. In general the easiest thing is to destruct, harder is to do nothing (or maintain status quo), and the hardest is to create.

While most people are also both risk-averse and, at the same time, uncomfortable to sit still. The hardest is still to create something out of eleven individuals.

See the point made here:

The lack of time available to coaches mean that they, naturally, make a priority of defensive structures over attacking ones: while an under-drilled attack can always conjure a goal from nothing, an under-drilled defence will always concede. Besides, defensive principles are relatively universal; much less adaptation is required than for attacks that can vary wildly.
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...goals-count-financial-inequality-lack-of-time

This is Sacchi in 1992 (!) in World Soccer, when he was for about eight months the Italy manager (and lost the World Cup on penalties in 1994, for which he understandably doesn't receive many credits):

"As a club coach I was in charge of 60 to 70 important games a season. As national coach it is eight to ten, maximum. That's the biggest difference. But the objectives are still the same, to play well. A club coach can use his players 300 days a year. He has to worry about the physical, athletic, technical and psychological aspects of the game. At national level I have only 56 days a year, so I have to concentrate on just one aspect of play - the tactical development. I must co-ordinate the movement of the whole team."

"I base all my work on the skill and tactics rather than the day-to-day organisation which you get at club level. And the more time I get with my players, the better my team will become. Now UEFA says each federation should interrupt the championship at least six times a season for the national team. This will me enable me to produce such a high level of football that it will be beautiful for the sport."

"My dream and the dream of Milan [directorate] was to have a side totally comprised of Italian players. But that is very difficult in Italy because there are six or seven clubs who will not sell their players to anyone. So you [me] are forced to enter the foreign market. These imports have been extremely useful to me because their experience, knowledge, skill and resilience are a source of great information. They produce different ways of playing, and the Italian players improve because they have to make an effort to match that level of excellence."

18. Yup.
    Happel said his tactical plan was "Coentje, Willem, Rinus" when running Feyenoord.
    Well, he was a bit oversimplifying things, but it's a recognition of the plan being the vehicle for the players, not the other way around.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Second brief section (with which I disagree on a few points but okay):

MICHELS, AT THE HEART OF BEAUTIFUL GAME

THE DUTCH COACH LOCATES IN THE CROSSROADS OF ALL MAJOR CURRENTS THAT HAVE INFLUENCED THE ATTACK GAME SINCE A CENTURY.

[​IMG]

Total football did not come out of nowhere, one fine day, in the mid-1960s. And Rinus Michels, the man who enacted the principles, validated theses and disseminated thought, first in the Netherlands, then Barcelona, did not invent everything. Equidistant from Englishman Jimmy Hogan, the first to talk about possession and privileged passes on the ground at the dawn of the twentieth century, and Pep Guardiola, his distant heir today, the Dutch coach, central character of history, yet lies at the crossroads of all the currents that have influenced the game of attack for a hundred years. Those who are upstream and have made him the technician he was: the Austrian Wunderteam between the wars and especially Hungary Gusztav Sebes in the 1950s, both directly inspired by Hogan; the Ajax philosophy, created by Jack Reynolds, another Englishman, who ran the club three times between 1915 and 1947; Brazil World Champion 1958, pioneer of jogo bonito and a game art later sustained by Mario Zagallo and Tele Santana; or the concepts initiated in the former Soviet Union by Viktor Maslov, then Valeri Lobanovski in Kiev (pressing, zone, space management, game modeling, permutation of posts ...). Of Hungary's 1954 World Cup finalist, Michels said, "They practiced a game from another planet and when I became a coach at Ajax, it seemed to me that football had to be played as they played it. My idea was to put Ajax on the same planet. And to make sure that my team knows how to be on the field, move, dominate the game in the middle, vary its moves, create and use the space as they did." And then there are the teams, downstream, that flowed directly from his ideas and perpetuated his work for thirty years: Barça of Johan Cruyff, then that of Guardiola, to a lesser degree Milan Arrigo Sacchi and all the teams coached by Louis van Gaal, Ajax of 1995, in particular, winner of the Champions League. Not to mention all the ramifications and variants, most of them Argentinian (Menotti, Valdano, La Volpe, Bielsa), which came to be grafted on this genealogical tree of the beautiful game and without which, for example, the Guardiola style would not exist.

--------------

Johan CRUYFF (Netherlands, 1985-1996) COURSE: Ajax Amsterdam, FC Barcelona.
    HIS ARMS: the first C1 of Barça in 1992.
    The only and unique great player in history to transpose with success and brilliance his genius to the bench. Inseparable from Michels, of which he was the most faithful representative on a field, he gave a second life to football by becoming a coach and revolutionized the game philosophy of FC Barcelona, to which he brought his first C1 and where his influence remains immense. Extreme in his conception of an entertaining and forward-moving football, which he saw as an art in motion where synchronism combined grace and efficiency, Cruyff was not only a prophet in the clubs where he had left his mark as a player.

PEP GUARDIOLA
    (SPAIN, SINCE 2008)
    COURSE: FC BARCELONA, BAYERN MUNICH AND MANCHESTER CITY.
    HIS ARMS: THE FIVE TROPHIES RECOVERED IN 2011 WITH THE BARÇA (CHAMPIONSHIP, SUPERCOUPE, CHAMPION LEAGUE, EUROPE SUPERCOUPE AND CLUB WORLD CUP).
    ONLY FORTY-EIGHT YEARS, HIS IMPRESSION ON THE GAME, ITS INFLUENCE AND HIS PALMARES ARE ALREADY CONSIDERABLE. SINCE THE FIRST DAY IN WHICH HE LEADS, HE HAS NOT STOPPED TO DIG OUT THE SAME IDEA OF GAME, THAT CRUYFF DEVELOPED IN BARÇA, TO ENHANCE, TO SUBLIMER, BEFORE EXPORTING IT OUT OF CATALONIA, TO REINVENT IT , ADAPT IT PERMANENTLY AND EXPLORE STILL AND ALL THE POSSIBLES BEFORE EVERY GAME. "WHAT I DO NOT WANT," HE SAYS, "IS THAT ONE OF MY PLAYERS COMES TO SEE ME AND ASKS ME A QUESTION I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER READY. " THE OBSESSION OF THE PERFECT MATCH NEVER LEAVES IT, AND ITS BASIC PRINCIPLES - MASTERING THE BALLOON, PRESSING THE LOSS, RUNNING INTELLIGENTLY, FINDING SPACE, GOING OUT FROM BEHIND ... - REMAIN NON-NEGOTIABLE.

VALERI LOBANOVSKI
    (USSR, THEN UKRAINE, 1969-2002)
    COURSE: DNIEPROPETROVSK, DYNAMO KIEV, USSR, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, KUWAIT UKRAINE.
    ITS ARMS: THE VICTORY IN CUTTING 1986 CUTS WITH DYNAMO KIEV.
    SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH WAS AT THE HEART OF THE SOVIET SYSTEM, AND FOOTSTEPS DID NOT APPEAR. REPRESENTING THE THEORIES ON THE PRESSING OF VIKTOR MASLOV, HIS COACH AT THE DYNAMO, HE FRANCHISED THE FOLLOWING STEP: A MODELED GAME, STATS IN SUPPORT, MOVEMENTS CODIFIED AS CHESS, SUPRASYNCHRONIZED DISPLACEMENTS ("THE MOST IMPORTANT," HE SAID , IT'S ALWAYS THE GAME WITHOUT BALLOON ") AND A HYPER ORGANIZED TEAM, WITH NEVER MANY PERMUTATIONS BETWEEN THE POSTS AND POWER. THE CONDUCTIVE IDEA TO MANAGE SPACE, CREATE DIGITAL SUPERIORITY AND PUSH THE ADVERSARY TO FAULT
    DEFEND BY REDUCING THE FIELD MAXIMUM AND ATTACK BY ENLARGING IT AS LARGE AS POSSIBLE. HIS REQUIREMENT WAS VERY EXTREME.

HELENIO HERRERA
    (ARGENTINA, THEN FRANCE, 1945-1981)
    COURSES: FRENCH STADIUM, VALLADOLID, ATLETICO MADRID, MALAGA, A CORUNA, FC SEVILLE, BELENENSES, FC BARCELONA, INTER MILAN, AS ROMA AND RIMINI.
    ITS WEAPONS: THE TRIPLÉ CHAMPIONSHIP-CUP CHAMPIONS-INTERCONTINENTAL CUP IN 1965 WITH INTER MILAN.

WITH HIM, ALL CHANGED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE 1960S. THE ROLE OF THE COACH, THE FIRST TRAINING CAMPS, THE GREENING OF THREE DAYS, THE OMNIPRESENCE OF TACTICS, PHYSICAL PREPARATION AND DIETETICS. HE MUST FORCE THE GREAT TEAM OF INTER MILAN, SANDRO MAZZOLA, LUIS SUAREZ AND MARIOLINO CORSO, FOR WHICH THE RESULT JUSTIFIED ALL: AXIAL HYPER REINFORCED DEFENSE, MAXIMUM AGGRESSIVENESS, VERTICALITY AND SPEED OF COUNTER ("NO MORE THAN THREE PASSES TO GO INTO THE OPPOSITE HALF "), INCARNATED BY THE LONG GAME OF LIBERO, PICCHI, OR THE INNOVATIVE MOUNTS OF THE LEFT SIDE, FACCHETTI. WITH THIS ARMADA, HE WILL GOVERN ON THE OLD CONTINENT FOR TWO YEARS IN 1964 AND 1965, TWO ACCREDITED SUCCESSES OF TWO INTERCONTINENTAL CUPS. IN 1967, THE DEFEAT AGAINST CELTIC GLASGOW IN CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (1-2) SIGNALS THE END OF HISTORY.

CARLO ANCELOTTI (ITALY, SINCE 1995)
    COURSE: REGGIANA, PARMA, JUVENTUS, MILAN AC, CHELSEA, PARIS-SG, REAL MADRID, BAYERN MUNICH AND NAPLES.
    HIS ARMS: FOUR CHAMPION TITLES IN FOUR
    MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIPS (MILAN 2004, CHELSEA 2010, PARIS-SG 2013 AND BAYERN MUNICH 2017).
    SPIRITUAL SON OF SACCHI (IT WAS HIS PLAYER IN MILAN AND HIS ASSISTANT IN SELECTION) IN MUCH MORE FLEXIBLE STYLE, MODEL OF DIPLOMACY AND PROXIMITY WITH HIS GROUP, ITALIAN BUT NOT TOO MUCH, IT SUCCEEDED EVERYWHERE. BY NEVER UNRAVELING THE WORK OF HIS PREDECESSORS AND ALWAYS CREATING GOOD ALCHEMY. MAINTAINING THE GOOD BALANCE BETWEEN POSSESSION GAME AND RAPID ATTACKS, ACCORDING TO COUNTRY CULTURE AND TEAM DNA. OFTEN ALSO BY DROPPING THE MOST QUALITY PLAYERS IN THE MIDFIELD AND ESPECIALLY IN THE RIGHT AREA (PIRLO IN FRONT OF DEFENSE IN MILAN, IT IS HIM). "THE HARDEST FOR A COACH, IT'S ALWAYS CONVINCING YOUR PLAYERS THAT THEY CAN WIN. "

ERNST HAPPEL (AUSTRIA, 1962-1992) COURSE: ADO THE HAGUE, FEYENOORD ROTTERDAM, FC SEVILLE, FC BRUGES, THE NETHERLANDS, HARELBEKE, STANDARD OF LIÈGE, HAMBURG, FC TIROL, AUSTRIA.
    HIS ARMS: THE FIRST TO WIN THE C1 WITH TWO DIFFERENT CLUBS, THE FEYENOORD AND HAMBURG.
    INVASIVE SMOKER, THE AUSTRIAN WAS A MAN OF LITTLE WORDS BUT MUCH OF RESULTS. HIS PRE-GAME CHATS WERE IN THREE WORDS: "GENTLEMEN, TWO POINTS" TO HIS PLAYERS. THERE WAS NO EMOTION, BUT CONSULTED THEM TO DISCUSS TACTICS. WHAT HE DOES WITH THOSE OF HAMBURG BEFORE THE FINAL OF C1 AGAINST THE JUVE IN 1983, TO KNOW IF IT WAS TO IMPOSE A MARKING IN THE PANTS TO MICHEL PLATINI. THE CLUSTER'S RESPONSE WAS NEGATIVE. ONE OF THE FIVE COACHES TO WIN THE C1 WITH TWO DIFFERENT CLUBS (FEYENOORD IN 1970 AND HAMBURG IN 1983), HIS NAME IS GIVEN TO THE MYTHIC PRATERSTADION OF VIENNA.

BILL SHANKLY (SCOTLAND, 1949-1974) COURSE: CARLISLE, GRIMSBY, WORKINGTON, HUDDERSFIELD, LIVERPOOL.
    HIS ARMS: THE UEFA 1973 CUP, THE FIRST EUROPEAN CUP OF THE REDS.

LIVERPOOL MISSED BUSBY. IT HAS REAPED WITH SHANKLY, ANOTHER SCOTTISH. HIS REIGN LASTS FIFTEEN YEARS, FROM 1959 TO 1974, AND HIS INFLUENCE REMAINS. ON HIS ARRIVAL, THE REDS WERE IN SECOND DIVISION. HE MAKES IT A MONSTER OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL, THEN EUROPEAN, BEFORE PASSING TO HIS ASSISTANT, BOB PAISLEY. SHANKLY SAID "FOOTBALL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIFE OR DEATH". HIS TEAMS WERE THE SYMBOL OF THIS PHILOSOPHY AND OF THIS "PASS AND MOVE" (PASS AND MOVEMENT) WHICH MADE HELENIO HERRERA'S INTER TO SEE A FAIR FACE AT A EUROPEAN CUP EVENING AT ANFIELD (3 -1).

(sorry, it's too much time to take out the capital letters)

comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The thing with international football is that it is inherently more random, it has a much smaller sample size and is more dependent on luck.

As well it has a lower prestige for managers today who see the club game as the primary objective.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #71 PuckVanHeel, Mar 20, 2019

Already linked to it on the previous page but this was SoFoot in 2015. Noticeable is the then 'unknown' Valverde being included in the close circle, as if he was standing by for jumping in:

[​IMG]

What are possible weaknesses of above coaches? (all the following with a question mark)

This is a good moment for @benficafan3 and @annoyedbyneedoflogin ("Guardiola = Messi") his return and commentary of Guardiola cs. (and then also @Ariaga II and others for why those equations are not correct)

Cruijff is that he only coached for 10 years, and then moved on to other (meaningful) roles (okay the Catalonia win vs Argentina in 2009 was nice). Apart from a national team stint he ticks pretty much all boxes (e.g. 6 European finals in 10 full seasons, incl. Ajax 1988), with high win percentages, but like everyone else, from Trapattoni to Capello, he has also prominent matches where he loses with 3 goals or more.

Guardiola has not so much a weakness perhaps, but has so far jumped in at the right time and the right place, with teams that were great before him or after him (Bayern, Spain's Barca core winning three tournaments in the meantime and euro 2008 before him, Man City reaching CL semi and two championships before him), and some incredible net spending too (+ rigging the FFP system?). At the same time, him having the all-time win percentage in three leagues looks strong. He has also a record now of making players better. (as an aside: something that's sometimes said about Michels his last NT stint is Rijvers doing the preparation work before him, who also went with those youngsters to the Youth World Cup)

Ancelotti his league record is erratic and sketchy to say the least, and Happel's last 7 years of his coaching or administrative career are nothing to write home about ( question?? ). It's sometimes overlooked but next to all the European finals, Happel does have a solid league record. From 1965 on his record is 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th for Ado Den Haag (that's excellent). 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd for Feyenoord (okay, were already 'champs vs Michels' before him, and champs in the season after). 9th in the second division with Sevilla. 4th, 1st, 1st, 1st with Brugge. World Cup finalist with the Dutch NT. 2nd and 3rd with Standard (okay, not better than the three seasons before and two champs in the next two seasons). Then 1st, 1st, 2nd until 1984 with Hamburg. After that some decline is (perhaps) noticeable. Started to struggle with his health, too.

https://spielverlagerung.de/2012/11/14/ernst-happel-grantler-genie/

22. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm not sure if I understand your query. About Guardiola, I don't think he merits a top 20 spot for he only conquered Europe with (a peak) Messi. He also had "Robbery" and other alltimers at his disposal to "prove it wasn't a fluke". But he still may. Perhaps the guy is top 20 league-wise but my book is about the playoffs.
    As a side note, maybe that's why signing Lewandowski was preferred over a big game player like Reus.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maybe also good to attach the name to it, when those NTs played the best. E.g. Germany under Klinsmann and phases of Low, Netherlands under 'San Marco', Spain under Del Bosque. Argentina and Colombia under Pekerman, France under Lemerre/Santini?

I'm not saying they didn't do good and creative things elsewhere or in other capacities, and that they are a fit for this list, but say even Del Bosque - who is a solid candidate for a top 50 - managed it to bring Real Madrid to a 3rd and 5th place, next to a 6th place for Besiktas (when he resigned) in 5 proper seasons for a club. Of course his continental and intercontinental record, never lower than a semi final, provides a boost.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #74 PuckVanHeel, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Since there is no response from @benficafan3 and folks (the knocking down and/or know better people), I continue.

(maybe this section with Clough is also something for @PDG1978 - yes it is not a long text I know)

MATT BUSBY (SCOTLAND, 1945-1971) ROUTE: MANCHESTER UNITED, EXCEPT THE 1969-70 SEASON.
    ITS ARMS: THE VICTORY IN C1 IN 1968, THE FIRST OF AN ENGLISH CLUB.
    WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MANCHESTER UNITED IF ALEXANDER MATTHEW BUSBY HAD ACCEPTED THE POST OF TRAINING COACH AT LIVERPOOL WHICH HAD BEEN OFFERED IN 1945? BUT THE REDS REFUSE TO GIVE THE TEAM CONTROL TO THEIR OLD PLAYER. MU CONSENTED, AND THE ENGLISH FOOTBALL FRONT IS MOVING AWAY. BUSBY BUILT THE RED DEVILS. IN A HALF CENTURY OF ITS INFLUENCE, UNITED BUILDS A PALMARÈS (13 TROPHIES, INCLUDING THE C1), AN IDENTITY AND A LEGEND, THAT OF "BUSBY BABES", THESE YOUNG PLAYERS FORMED BY THE MASTER, SOME OF WHICH PERISHED IN THE AIR CRASH OF MUNICH, 6 FEBRUARY 1958. THE ONE CALLED "THE BOSS" SURVIVES. MANCHESTER WAS HIS PARADISE.

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI
    (ITALY, 1974-2018)
    COURSES: MILAN AC, JUVENTUS, INTER MILAN, BAYERN MUNICH, CAGLIARI, FIORENTINA, ITALY, BENFICA, VFB STUTTGART, RED BULL SALZBURG, EIRE, JIANGSU SUNING.
    ITS WEAPONS: WIN THE THREE CUPS OF EUROPE WITH THE SAME CLUB, THE JUVE (THE C1 IN 1985, THE C2 IN 1984 AND THE C3 IN 1977 AND 1993).
    FALLEN ALL YOUNG IN THE CATENACCIO POT, OBSESSED BY DETAIL, TACTICS AND RESULT, IT HAS LONG INCARNATED THE MYTH OF THE ITALIAN COACH AND ITS DEFENSIVE DNA. HE STILL CONFESSED "I NEVER HEARD PLATINI OR MATTHAUS COMPLAIN THAT I PREVENT THEM FROM SCORING OR ATTACKING?" HIS GENIUS? BEEN SEVERELY REINVENTED AND BEING INDEPENDENT.

JOSÉ MOURINHO
    (PORTUGAL, SINCE 2000)
    COURSE: BENFICA, LEIRIA, FC PORTO, CHELSEA, INTER MILAN, REAL MADRID, CHELSEA, MANCHESTER UNITED.
    ITS WEAPONS: THE C1 WINNED BY FC PORTO IN 2004.
    RARELY A TECHNICIAN WITH A PALMARES SO IMPOSANT (IT HAS ALSO RECEIVED THE C1 WITH TWO DIFFERENT CLUBS, PORTO AND INTER) WILL HAVE BEEN ALSO CONFLICTUAL. ITS STRENGTH RESIDES IN HUMAN MANAGEMENT. ITS WEAKNESS ALSO. THOSE THAT COMPLY WITH ITS PRINCIPLES, BASED ON TACTICS AND HOW TO OBTAIN A RESULT AT ANY COST, MUCH MORE THAN THE GAME, LOVE IT. THE OTHERS ABHOR IT. DESPITE ITS PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT GENERATION, HERE IS ONE OUTSTANDING MOTIVATOR, ONE OF THESE TECHNICIANS ABLE TO EXCEED ITS LIMITS TO ANYONE.

MIGUEL MUNOZ (SPAIN, 1959-1988) ROUTE: REAL MADRID, GRANADA, LAS PALMAS, FC SEVILLE, SPAIN.
    HIS ARMS: WINNER OF THE C1 IN 1960 A MONTH AFTER HIS ARRIVAL ON THE BENCH OF REAL MADRID.
    HE WAS THE FIRST TO WIN THE C1 AS A PLAYER (1956, 1957 and 1958) AND AS A COACH (1960 and 1966). THIS WAS WITH THE REAL MADRID, THE CLUB WHERE HE OFFICES SIXTEEN SEASONS ON THE BENCH, THE LONGEST AND THE MOST SUCCESSFUL (14 TITLES) FOR A COACH IN THE HISTORY OF MERENGUE. MUNOZ WAS LOVING TO HAVE INHERITED OF SUCH A TEAM, THAT OF DISTEFANO AND PUSKAS. IT'S FORGOTTEN THAT HE WAS A MAN OF DECISION AND THAT HE HAD NOT HIS DECISION TO DIFFER FROM HIS TWO OLD STARS AFTER THE FINAL OF C1 LOST IN 1964 AGAINST THE INTER MILAN (1-3). LAUNCHED THEN YOUNG PEOPLE (PIRRI , GROSSO, SANCHIS, VELAZQUEZ) AND RECAPTURED THE EUROPEAN TITLE TWO YEARS LATER.

BRIAN CLOUGH (ENGLAND, 1965-1993) COURSE: HARTLEPOOL, DERBY COUNTY, BRIGHTON, UNITED LEEDS, NOTTINGHAM FOREST.
    ITS ARMS: THE DOUBLE C1 WITH NOTTINGHAM FOREST.
    "I SAID THAT I WALKED ON THE WATER, BUT I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN MORE OF IT WITH MY DRINKS »WHO BETTER BRIAN CLOUGH COULD TALK ABOUT BRIAN CLOUGH? MADE FOR HIS SPEECH, EGO, CHARISM AND OFFENSIVE FOOTBALL, HE WAS A MAN OF CONTROVERSY AND SUCCESS, THE ONE WHO HAD ONLY 41 DAYS AT LEEDS, BUT MANAGED DERBY AS A CHAMPION AND, ESPECIALLY, NOTTINGHAM FOREST TWO EUROPEAN SACRES IN C1, IN 1979 AND 1980. THE MOTORWAY BETWEEN THE TWO TOWNS HAS TODAY HIS NAME. CONCLUSION OF CLOUGH: "I WAS NOT THE BEST, BUT I WAS NUMBER 1."

MARCELLO LIPPI (ITALY, SINCE 1986) ROUTE: SIENA, US PISTOIESE, CARRARA, CESENA, LUCCHESE, ATALANTA BERGAMO, NAPLES, JUVENTUS, ITALY, INTER MILAN, GUANGZHOU EVERGRANDE, CHINA.
    ITS WEAPONS: THE C1 VICTORY WITH THE JUVENTUS VS THE AJAX OF VAN GAAL IN 1996.
    MODEL OF PRAGMATISM, BOTH STRATEGIC AND PSYCHOLOGIST, IDEAL COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE MODERNISM OF SACCHI AND THE LEGACY OF TRAPATTONI, HE REMAINS THE ONE WHO PRESENTED JUVE, THEN ITALY, TO THE ROOF OF THE WORLD IN THE 1990S AND 2000S . DIDIER DESCHAMPS MAY WITNESS: "THANKS TO HIM, I HAVE ACQUIRED THE CULTURE OF WINNING, WHEN DETAILS FIT IN AND THE IMPORTANCE OF TACTICAL RESEARCH. "

NEREO ROCCO (ITALY, 1947-1977) COURSE: TRIESTE, TREVISO, PADUA, MILAN AC, TORINO, FIORENTINA.
    HIS ARMS: FIRST ITALIAN WINNER OF A C1, IN 1963, WITH THE MILAN AC.
    THE PARON (THE "MASTER" IN PATOIS OF TRIESTE) HAS NOT INVENTED THE CATENACCIO, BUT HAS TRIUMPHED IT IN MILAN. A LIBERO, INDIVIDUAL MARKING, GAME OF COUNTERS, BUT ALSO OF THE HUMAN, AND NOT HUMAN. "IN ITALY, YOU MUST ENSURE ITS DEFENSE," HE SAID. "BUT WITH PLAYERS LIKE ALTAFINI AND RIVERA, CAN YOU TOTALLY SACRIFICE AND FORGET THE ATTACK GAME? "

LOUIS VAN GAAL (NETHERLANDS, 1991-2016)
    COURSE: AJAX AMSTERDAM, FC BARCELONA, THE NETHERLANDS, FC BARCELONA, AZ ALKMAAR, BAYERN MUNICH, THE NETHERLANDS, MANCHESTER UNITED.
    ITS ARMS: THE VICTORY IN C1 WITH AJAX IN 1995.
    MORE SPLITTING THAN MOURINHO, MORE ORGANIZED THAN CRUYFF, MORE UNCOMPROMISING THAN FERGUSON, MORE TRAINER THAN GUARDIOLA, VAN GAAL OFFERED A SECOND YOUTH AT AJAX IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 1990s, LAUNCHING YOUNG PEOPLE (OVERMARS, DAVIDS, SEEDORF, KLUIVERT), AS HE DOES LATER WITH XAVI IN BARÇA OR THOMAS MÜLLER IN BAYERN MUNICH. HERE, RINUS MICHELS SAID THAT HE WAS "AN APOSTLE OF CRUYFF, WITH A BIT MORE STRUCTURED STYLE. CRUYFF WORKS AS A FUNCTION OF HIS IDEAS BECAUSE IT'S GENIAL. VAN GAAL, BECAUSE IT IS LESS, IS MORE ANALYTICAL." UNTIL THE EXTREME, SOMETIMES.

OTTMAR HITZFELD
    (GERMANY, 1983-2014)
    COURSE: SC ZOUG, AARAU, GRASSHOPPER ZURICH, BORUSSIA DORTMUND, BAYERN MUNICH, SWITZERLAND.
    HIS ARMS: THE VICTORY IN C1 WITH DORTMUND IN 1997. SWISS MORE THAN GERMAN ("GAMIN, MY FATHER SEEMED ME TO SEE MATCHES OF THE TEAM OF SWITZERLAND"), HE HAS TAKEN FOR TEN YEARS ON BOTH GERMAN GIANTS. AND WON ALL, STARTING WITH THE C1 WITH THE BORUSSIA IN 1997 AND THE BAYERN IN 2001. BIXENTE LIZARAZU DESCRIBED SO: "HE IS HUMAN. HE TRUSTS. IT KNOWS ABOUT CALMING THE THINGS AND GIVING IMPORTANCE TO EVERYONE. "

BELA GUTTMANN
    (HUNGARY, THEN AUSTRIA, 1933-1973)
    COURSE: HAKOAH VIENNA, SC ENSCHEDE, UJPEST, VASAS BUDAPEST, CHINEZUL TIMISOARA, KISPEST, PADUA, TRIESTE, QUILMES, APOEL NICOSIA, MILAN AC, LANEROSSIVICENZA, HONVED BUDAPEST, SAO PAULO FC, FC PORTO, BENFICA, PENAROL, AUSTRIA, SERVETTE GENEVA , PANATHINAÏKOS, AUSTRIA VIENNA.
    ITS ARMS: DOUBLE WINNER OF THE C1 WITH BENFICA IN 1961 AND 1962.
    "TAKING A GOAL IS NEVER A CONCERN: I AM STILL PERSUADED THAT MY TEAM CAN MAKE ONE MORE. I THINK TO DEFEND WHEN I LEAD AT THE 85th MINUTE ... " CONTEMPORARY OF THE AUSTRIAN WUNDERTEAM, THEN THE GREAT TEAM OF HUNGARY AFTER WAR, THIS MALIGN TECHNICIAN AND PSYCHOLOGIST CONVERTS BENFICA TO 4-2-4 AND STATED "A MACHINE IS TO PLAY AND TO MARK DOWN".

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    FABIO CAPELLO (ITALY, 1991-2018) COURSE: MILAN AC, REAL MADRID, AS ROMA, JUVENTUS, ENGLAND, RUSSIA, JIANGSU SUNING.
    ITS ARMS: WINNER OF THE C1 1994 WITH THE MILAN AC AGAINST THE BARÇA (4-0).
    HIS PHILOSOPHY? "BE ORGANIZED UP TO THE LAST TWENTY-FIVE METERS AND LET THEN SPEAK ABOUT THE TALENT. AND ITS METHOD? "COPY, TASTE SAUCE ALL IDEAS SQUARE LEFT RIGHT, AND ENHANCE THEM. THE BEST COACH IS FIRST THE BIGGEST OF THIEVES ... " WITH THAT, PLUS AN IRON HANDLE, HE WON EVERYWHERE. QUITTED AT SACRIFICING OFTEN THE SHOW AND THE MANNERS.

ZINEDINE ZIDANE
    (FRANCE, SINCE 2016)
    ROUTE: REAL MADRID.
    HIS ARMS: WINNER OF THREE C1 AFFILIA (2016, 2017 AND 2018).
    THERE IS NO ZIDANE GAME STYLE, BUT HIS REAL MADRID MANAGEMENT AND HOW TO MANAGE SUCH A CLOAKROOM SAYS WHAT KIND OF COACH IT IS. TAKE A STARS TEAM TO THE TOP AND BRING IT EVEN HIGHER, MAKE IT WIN WHEN IT HAS ALREADY EVER WON AND EARN WHAT ANY COACH HAD NOT EARNED BEFORE IS NOT A BANAL DESTINY. WE ARE WAITING FOR THE FOLLOWING.

VIKTOR MASLOV
    (USSR, 1945-1975)
    ROUTE: TORPEDO MOSCOW, TORPEDO GORKI, BOUREVESTNIK KICHINEV, SKA ROSTOV, DYNAMO KIEV, ARARATEREVAN.
    HIS ARMS: USSR CHAMPION THREE YEARS FOLLOWING THE DYNAMO KIEV (1966, 1967 AND 1968).
    IN THE HIGHEST OF THE COLD WAR, THERE WAS THEORIZED BEFORE OTHERS 4-4-2, COLLECTIVE PRESSING AND SPACE REDUCTION. EVOLVING IN THE AREA ("THE INDIVIDUAL MARKING IS FOR ME AN INSULT AND OPPRESSION MADE TO THE PLAYER") WITH ATTACKERS WHO DEFENDED AND DEFENDERS THAT ATTACKED, HIS DYNAMO KIEV OPENED THE PATH TO THE SCIENTIFIC FOOTBALL OF LOBANOVSKI.

HERBERT CHAPMAN
    (ENGLAND, 1907-1934)
    COURSE: NORTHAMPTON, LEEDS CITY, HUDDERSFIELD, ARSENAL.
    HIS ARMS: THE CHAMPIONSHIP LINK WITH HUDDERSFIELD IN 1924 AND 1925.
    THE PIONEER WHO EXITED ENGLISH FOOTBALL FROM HIS STONE AGE. AT THIS PRECURSOR, FLOODLIGHTS, SHIRT NUMBERS, TACTICAL MEETINGS, NEW TRAINING TECHNIQUES OR PHYSIOTHERAPY HAD TO BE INTRODUCED. ACCORDINGLY, IT WAS ARSENAL, OF WHICH HE IS A LEGEND, THAT WAS THE BIG TEAM OF THE 1930s.

(note: it seems another team introduced shirt numbers on the same day)

JUPP HEYNCKES
    (GERMANY, 1979-2018)
    COURSE: M'GLADBACH, BAYERN MUNICH, BILBAO ATHLETIC, EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, TENERIFE, REAL MADRID, BENFICA, ATHLETIC BILBAO, SCHALKE, M'GLADBACH, BAYERN MUNICH, LEVERKUSEN, BAYERN MUNICH.
    HIS ARMS: THE TRIPLÉ WITH BAYERN IN 2013.
    ONE OF THE FIVE MEMBERS OF THE CLAN OF THOSE WHO WON THE C1 WITH TWO DIFFERENT CLUBS (THE REAL IN 1998 AND THE BAYERN IN 2013). HEYNCKES IS THE ONLY TRAINER TO HAVE LEADED THE MUNICH CLUB AT THE TRIPLÉ C1- CHAMPIONSHIP-CUP IN 2013. THIS ADAPTATION OF AN OFFENSIVE GAME HAD TREND IN PRESSING TO LOSE HER NERVES AND TO TAKE IT TO HIS PLAYERS.

BOB PAISLEY (ENGLAND, 1974-1983) JOURNEY: LIVERPOOL.
    HIS ARMS: HIS THREE C1 AT THE HEAD OF THE REDS IN 1977, 1978 AND 1981.
    At LIVERPOOL, BILL SHANKLY WAS THE CATALYST OF ENERGY, AND BOB PAISLEY THE TRUE TACTICIAN. THIS IS THAT HE WAS LOGICALLY RETURNING TO THE FORMER DEPUTY TO PROMOTE THE HERITAGE OF THE CHEF, IN 1974. HE DOES IT MUCH BETTER THAN ANYONE, FORGING AN UNEQUALED PALMARAS IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL. IT WAS THE ONLY COACH TO WIN THE EUROPEAN CLUB CHAMPIONS CUP THREE TIMES WITH THE SAME CLUB.

JÜRGEN KLOPP
    (GERMANY, SINCE 2001)
    COURSE: MAYENCE, DORTMUND, LIVERPOOL. HIS ARMS: HIS FIRST TITLE OF CHAMPION OF GERMANY WITH DORTMUND IN 2011.
    THE PRESENT LEADER IN GENERATION 3.0. HER CREDO? VOLLGASFUSSBALL WITH A LOT OF INTENSITY, RACES, SPEED AND EMOTION, BUT ALSO PRESSING, GEGENPRESSING TO THE LOSS OF THE BAL AND THE TRANSITION GAME. "EACH OF MY PLAYERS," SAYS, "MUST PUSH ITS LIMITS TO EACH MATCH." IF LIVERPOOL RECEIVES CHAMPION OF ENGLAND, TWENTY-NINE YEARS AFTER, A STATUE WAITS.

ALBERT BATTEUX
    (FRANCE, 1950-1981)
    COURSE: REIMS, FRANCE, GRENOBLE, SAINT-ÉTIENNE, AVIGNON, NICE, MARSEILLE.
    HIS ARMS: HIS EIGHT TITLES OF CHAMPION OF FRANCE WITH REIMS (1953, 1955, 1958, 1960 AND 1962) ETSAINT-ÉTIENNE (1968, 1969 AND 1970).
    THE GREAT STADIUM OF REIMS IS HIM. AND THE FIRST GREAT TEAM OF SAINT-ÉTIENNE IS IT ALSO. ONE OF THE BEST FRENCH COACHES IN HISTORY, MENTOR OF MICHEL HIDALGO AND AIMÉ JACQUET, REMAINS SYNONYMOUS OF A SPECTACULAR, INTELLIGENT GAME BASED ON PASSES AND SHORT GAME. "A TEAM," HE SAID, "IS FIRST AND FOREMOST A SOUL AND TACTICS IS FIRST QUICK INTELLIGENCE. "

GUUS HIDDINK (NETHERLANDS, 1987-2016)
    COURSE: PSV EINDHOVEN, FENERBAHÇE, VALENCIA CF, NETHERLANDS, REAL MADRID, BETIS SEVILLE, SOUTH KOREA, PSV EINDHOVEN, AUSTRALIA, RUSSIA, CHELSEA, TURKEY, ANJI MAKHATCHKALA, THE NETHERLANDS, CHELSEA.
    HIS ARMS: THE C1 WON WITH PSV IN 1988.
    OFTEN QUALIFIED AS A MERCENARY, BUT CREDITED FOR CREATE AN ATMOSPHERE IN A GROUP, HE DISTINGUISHES FROM THE OTHER PRAISED DUTCH TECHNICIANS BY THE FACT THAT HE HAS NEVER TRAINED AJAX AND THAT HIS PHILOSOPHY OF PLAY IS VERY PRAGMATIC. HIS PSV WINNER OF THE C1 IN 1988 WINS NO MATCH AND SCORES TWO GOALS FROM THE QUARTER FINALS ON.

UDO LATTEK (GERMANY, 1970-2000) COURSE: BAYERN MUNICH, BORUSSIA MÖNCHENGLADBACH, BORUSSIA DORTMUND, FC BARCELONA, BAYERN MUNICH, FC COLOGNE, SCHALKE 04, BORUSSIA DORTMUND.
    HIS WEAPON: WON THE THREE CUPS OF EUROPE.
    ONE OF THE TWO COACHES (WITH TRAPATTONI) TO HAVE WON THE THREE CUTS OF EUROPE, BUT THE ONLY ONE WITH THREE DIFFERENT CLUBS: THE C1 WITH BAYERN IN 1974, THE C2 WITH FC BARCELONA IN 1982 AND THE C3 WITH M ' GLADBACH IN 1979. NOT REPUTED TO BE A BIG TACTICIAN, THE BAYERN OFFERED HIS FIRST POST ON THE ADVICE OF BECKENBAUER WHO, AS WAS ADVANCED SO LATER, "SEEKED A BOSS OF THE ORCHESTRA MORE THAN A MUSICIAN".