The U18 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Here's a catchall thread for the new (2001 YOB and younger) U18 program, which will officially start up with the camp reported to begin later this month. I'm leaving off the recent Spain camp since that was mainly '99s.

I'll track callups here, as I did for the '99 group (see the tabs at bottom for the previous pool):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lEyhcweounRgP6uYI44U0WoQDpwsQVkCFRebIRh3xOE/edit?usp=sharing

For an early peek at the likely pool, I'd suggest looking back at the last round of U16 callups under Tsakiris.

https://www.ussoccer.com/us-under16-boys-national-team#tab-1

However, I won't do detailed tracking of anything else on these callups like I do for the U20s. If someone else wants to do that, feel free to reach out and I can give you access/suggestions.

Of course, people can/should start separate threads for individual camps and tournaments and whatever else seems interesting.

Coach is still Omid Namazi, as far as I know. Last time around, he called in 82 guys, 11 of them GKs, to 9 gatherings between January 2016-June 2017.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-18 Men’s National Team:
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Nick DeFreitas-Hansen (Everton; Southwest Ranches, Fla.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif,), Kris Shakes (Philadelphia Union; Austin, Texas), Collin Travasos (San Diego Surf Club; Encinitas, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (11): Jacob Akanyirige (San Jose Earthquakes; Pleasanton, Calif.), Julian Araujo (Barca Academy; Lompoc, Calif.), Nico Benalcazar (New York City FC; Wilton, Conn.), Kwabena Boateng (Sacramento Republic FC; Elk Grove, Calif.), Luke Hansen (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Ian Hoffman (Karlsuher SC; Karlsruher, Germany), Nelson Martinez (D.C. United; Woodbrigde, Va.), David Mendoza (Chicago Fire; Gage Park, Ill.), Jose Olmos (Barca Academy; Inglewood, Calif.), Leonardo Sepulveda (LA Galaxy; Corona, Calif.), Nick Slonina (Chicago Fire; Addison, Ill.)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Taylor Booth (Unattached; Eden, Utah), Cameron Duke (Sporting Kansas City; Overland Park, Kan.), Hunter George (Sacramento Republic F.C.; Lincoln, Calif.), Roberto Hategan (Sacramento Republic F.C.; Chicago, Ill.), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.; New York, N.Y.), Marcelo Palomino (Houston Dynamo; Houston, Texas), Stuart Ritchie (FC Groningen; Pleaston, Calif.), Lawson Sunderland (Levante UD; Portland, Ore.), Will Vint (Manchester United F.C.; Chester, England)

FORWARDS (8): Justin Butler (FC Bayern Munich; Augsburg, Germany), Quincy Butler (Sacramento Republic F.C.; Sacramento, Calif.), Cameron Harper (Pateadores; Newport Beach, Calif.), Jalen Hawkins (FC Bayern Munich; Regensburg, Germany), Jake LaCava (Barca Academy; Gouverneur, N.Y.), Ulysses Llanez (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Axel Picazo (Philadelphia Union; Austin, Texas), Stefan Stojanovic (Shockers FC; Chicago, Ill.)

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    There always seems to be some discussion about geographic representation on YNTs. FWIW, this one has a large Calif. presence, and Sac. Republic in particular has sent four players to the camp. Barca Academy also has a nice showing, and it will be interesting to see how Barca fits into the changing USSDA landscape. On the other hand, where are FC Dallas and NYRB players?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #5 ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Notes:

Kris Shakes finally called up. He's YNT quality, so this is a smart decision, he probably should've been called up earlier.

Collin Travasos got his first YNT call up. Big keeper, listed at 6'3. He has highlights on his Hudl page, if you want to watch them. https://www.hudl.com/profile/8414869/collin-travasos

USSF gives Akanyirige his first call up after he signs a pro deal. Why didn't they call him up before that? He seems a big-time talent. Did they not scout him well enough?

Ian Hoffman is back in the US set-up. He had been at two recent German YNT camps.

Justin Butler and Jalen Hawkins of Bayern Munich are both part of this camp. Butler is a CF, Hawkins a winger. Butler seems the higher rated of the two, but recently a lot of his playing time at Bayern Munich has been taken by a new signing from Feyenoord.

Axel Picazo looked YNT quality when I saw him play earlier this month. Good that he got a call in to this camp.

ChuckMe92, Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Scott Taylor from NYRB (18 goals in 14 games) certainly should've been a candidate, but the lack of FCD players makes no sense to me either. Where's Reynolds, Toledo, Collodi, Burns, Hinojosa, Rayo, Roberts, Munoz, Gomez. You can't call up any half decent player at a big academy, but none of them? It doesn't make much sense to me. I think these big academies are often under-represented at these YNT camps. Maybe these academies don't want to release 4, 5, 6, 7 of their players at once.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Better name: Marcelo Palomino or Axel Picazo?

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Very good highlights. Better foot than any MLS keeper not called Rimando.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I find ability with feet to be hard to gauge from just highlights. I was watching those, and thinking the same thing. There was one pass that was hard and with a normal passing trajectory, not just a floater to a wide open player. But these are highlights, so we are talking about what must be 40-50 games of highlights, maybe more. Can bad passing keepers make a good pass every 10 games?

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There were a few good ones and towards sidelines. Bad passing keepers won't try those.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the younger national teams not call in players from teams that are well known so they can take looks at lesser known players? I've noticed more FCD players get called up the older they get. Is it coaching or are they already known quantities?

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Update: Since, as @TheFalseNine noted here...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/u-s-ynt-player-pool-hub-u16-u20-2018-2019-cycle.2080134/

... TDS has started doing the exact same thing, and I'm not doing more detailed tracking of this age group beyond names and callups, I'm gonna stop doing this one. Life is short -- no need to look a gift horse in the mouth -- you can't make a canoe out of caramel -- and other cliches.

I'm happy to pass ownership of the document over to someone else if they want to add fields or other stuff.

Winoman repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup for the U-18s vs. the U-19s at the summit camp:

Pl@ymaker and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tactical Hipster and ielag repped this.
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @onamazi’s Tweet:

17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  18. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link up soon?

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing he means linking up with the U18 team?

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For those of us not hip enough for Instagram, which player is this?

Anderson11 repped this.
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Konrad de la Fuente, I believe.

TxEx repped this.
  22. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Correct, should have mentioned that

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Konrad is, as the kids say, “dabbing up” Jose Rivas of The Crew Academy. Konrad has even gone as far as “@ing” him in this post. So we can assume Jose Rivas will be there or is going to Barcelona...

24. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would like to see this side called up. I won't include the guys on MLS contracts.

GK: Shakes, Ochoa, Defreitas-Hansen
    DF: Hoffman, Xuxuh, Martinez, Araujo, Sepulveda, Toledo, Rangel, MacDonald
    MF: Booth, Otasowie, Duke, Vassilev, Roberts, de la Fuente, Palomino, Rivas, Llanez
    FW: Stojanovic, Butler, Segal

Alternates: Kowalcyzk, Slonina, Burns, Lopez, Anaya, Pellegrino, Arriaga, Picazo, Hawkins, Soto, Taylor