The U.S. U19 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A lot of these guys have committed to colleges for next year or have another year of HS.

Aaronson Brenden - Class of 2019 (Philadelphia)
    Amaya Franuel - UCLA
    Asensio Charlie - Clemson (Atlanta)
    Budnik Alex - Dartmouth
    Ferri Blaine - 2019
    Fowler Sam - Washington (Seattle)
    Hundley Matt - UCLA (Colorado)
    Ledezma Richard - 2019 (Salt Lake)
    Nuphaus Jean-Julian Foe - California (San Jose)
    Parente Isaiah - Wake Forest (Columbus)
    Penaranda Johan - Navy (NYCFC)
    Penn Josh - 2019
    Rafanello Jeremy - Drexel (Philadelphia)
    Richards Chris - North Carolina (Dallas)
    Seals A.J. - NC State (Orlando)
    Soto Sebastian - California (Salt Lake)

Obviously the college commitments are non-binding and they could go pro at any time. Several of them are in MLS academy teams so they could conceivably get an offer to keep them from college between now and the first week of August.

The players listed below all have (or had) ties to MLS academies and have not committed to a college (that I know of). Most, if not all, of them are either holding out for a good HG offer or hoping to sign abroad.

Garces Justin (Atlanta)
    Gloster Chris (NY Red Bulls)
    Jones Zyen (Atlanta)
    Keita Aboubacar (Columbus)
    McGann Rayshaun (Atlanta)
    Watts Akil (Portland)

Keita is the wild-card there. The other 5 in the above group were on the U17 NT in either qualifying, the WC or both and are looking to use that as a springboard abroad or a good HG offer.

Keita doesn't have that pedigree. He may still be looking to go abroad. But he may also be trying to figure out what's going on with the Crew given all their instability. They've signed no HG players this winter and many of their top veteran players are trying to get the hell out or have left already. So Keita may be looking elsewhere or trying to get a late, good scholarship offer.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The U.S. Under-19 Men’s National Team will travel to Trnava, Slovakia from May 1-12 to participate in 2018 Slovakia Cup. The U.S. has been drawn into Group B with Czech Republic, Kazakhstan and Ukraine, while Azerbaijan, Hungary, Slovakia and Wales make up Group A. All teams will face a fourth opponent in the placement stage, but only the two group winners will vie for Slovakia Cup Champions.

USA Tournament Schedule

May 7 – USA vs. Kazakhstan
    May 8 – USA vs. Ukraine
    May 10 – USA vs. Czech Republic
    May 11 – USA vs. TBD (Placement Match)

Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Sam Fowler (Seattle Sounders FC; Issaquah, Wash.), Justin Garces (Atlanta United FC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (7): Jake Arteaga (LA Galaxy; Glendora, Calif.), Charlie Asensio (Atlanta United FC; Roswell, Ga.), Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose, Calif.), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96; Montclair, N.J.), Rayshaun McGann (Atlanta United FC; Palm Beach, Fla.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Akil Watts (Unattached; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Taylor Booth (Unattached; Eden, Utah), Blaine Ferri (Solar Soccer Club; Southlake, Texas), Declan McGlynn (Crossfire Premier; Kirkland, Wash.), Isaiah Parente (Columbus Crew; Cleveland, Ohio), Sean Zawadzki (Crew SC Academy; Olmsted Falls, Ohio)

FORWARDS (6): Kyle Holcomb (Pateadores; San Marcos, Calif.), Matt Hundley (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Zyen Jones (FC Schalke 04; Clarkston, Ga.), Jeremy Rafanello (Philadelphia Union; Delran, N.J.), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey; Monterrey, Mexico), Sebastian Soto (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...an-ukraine-and-czech-republic-in-slovakia-cup

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    All 00's, besides Booth ('01).

Here's my issue with this roster. Its a near carbon copy of Hackworth's rosters with this group just a year ago. The only differences are the lack of some of the 00's who've presumably progressed beyond this age or have temporarily. Of this roster of 20, only 5 (McGlynn, Parente, Zawadzki, Holcomb, Rafanello) were not regulars/semi-regulars in the U-17 program at some point during that two year cycle. And I think we all know that if everyone in this age group was available, some of those five would be among the players not on the roster, so its almost the same exact roster from the USSF. No roster turnover. Why is that?

Its nice that Holcomb finally got a call up. Looking at McGlynn's stats, (19 goals in 25 games from midfield), he deserves a chance. Why are Parente and Zawadzki listed differently if they are at the same club? Is Parente now on a professional contract?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jones and Sands had been in U20 camps earlier this year but this is their first U19 call-up. Booth had been with the 18s but this is also his first U19 call-up.

The only other newcomers are Holcomb, McGlynn and Zawadzki and to the best of my records, none of them got looks from the 17s last cycle.

All three of them are, for now at least, college-soccer bound.

Holcomb has signed an LOI with Wake Forest, McGlynn is staying home to go to Seattle U. and Zawadzki has signed with Georgetown.

Ferri is class of 2019 but McGann and Watts are 2018 kids and neither of them have signed pro deals nor (that I can find) committed to play college soccer. Anyone know their plans for after June?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ferri is a complete mystery. He's a young'un. His 18th birthday isn't until September. Somebody did mention once that he has potential access to an Italian passport. Don't know if that was a reliable source. Gut feeling? Europe bound.

He went a long time without playing for Solar, but then I noted that he played in their game against Lonestar in April. He's only played 7 academy games this whole season. He's at Solar, but his participation has been really erratic. I tried finding out whether he was playing with their U19 team at the Dallas Cup, but never found out.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were rumours a couple of months ago connecting Ferri to Nordsjaelland, I believe.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Goodness knows there are any number of reasons one might find one's self in Farum.

Lookingforleftbacks and Balerion repped this.
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, that's how a lot of stuff gets done these days.

We figured out Josh was either going to Schalke, Bremen, or one other place (I forget where) based on his dad's Twitter. Akil Watts has posted on his IG story about Mallorca and Rayo Vallecano.

I saw George Acosta's post that he was at Boca Juniors a week before any actual news came out. It's not official, but it obviously means they're there.

10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw on Reddit we scored 6 (six!!) more goals in the 2nd half. Final score 8-0 against Kazakhstan.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  13. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed here as well:

No official word on goalscorers yet.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anyone know if that was that Kazakhstan's first-choice U19 squad?

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty obviously an A-/B+ squad, I think.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I see Garces, Watts, Sands, Gloster, Booth, Ferri, McGlynn, Zawadzki and Reyes. I can't tell which striker #9 is, and I can't tell if #15 is Nuphaus or McGann.

17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    #9 is Soto, pretty sure, less sure about #15 but I would guess Nuphaus

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I thought it was Nuphaus also, but I wasn't sure.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal scoring - I think

Soto (40, 49, 52)
    Reyes (18)
    Watts (43)
    McGlynn (48)
    Holcomb (59)
    Hundley (67)

20. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 bshredder, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    The U.S. U-19s beat Ukraine today 2-1

Fell behind 1-0 on a goal in the 14th minute, equalized before HT, hit the winner in the 63rd

[​IMG]

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Chris, he's going to sign with Hannover when he turns 18, right? Kind of like Sargent?

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he'll sign a pro deal then presumably. However, it's unlikely that he's anywhere except the U19s for the first year unless I'm underrating him.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unconfirmed reports that the US goal scorers were Ferri & Sands

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @ussoccer_ynt’s Tweet:

TarHeels17, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.