The U.S. U19 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a catchall thread for the new (2000 YOB and younger) U19 program.

I'll track callups here, as I did for the '98 group (see the tabs at bottom for the previous pool):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1--uRaSa-8QtiaUWSbBfjCeHCxjsjj_KV7Wcle0lwsLg/edit?usp=sharing

For an early peek at the likely pool, I'd suggest looking back at the last round of U17s.

I'll do some fairly detailed tracking of this group since it's essentially an expansion of the U20s.

Of course, people can/should start separate threads for individual camps and tournaments and whatever else seems interesting.

Coach is still Brad Friedel, as far as I know. Last time around, he called in 77 guys, 10 of them GKs. Many of them ended up getting looks at the U20 level and some were eligible for this round of U20s.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #2 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Someone (who I assume is a reader here) requested access to this spreadsheet. When I wrote back to ask for more information, the email bounced. If this is you, feel free to contact me through BigSoccer.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. However, in most cases I probably will not share editing access to this one -- it's not so complex that it really needs another set of hands, so keeping it simple makes sure that if something breaks, it's my fault.

Of course, I plan to keep it readable to all.

anivha, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If Friedel is going to be the Revs' coach, as is being reported, the YNT musical chairs got another open seat.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Richie Williams should be out of work soon!

Gacm32 and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance Hugo Perez gets another shot?

6. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Hopefully permanently!

Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    He's w/ Silicon Valley Soccer Academy and doesn't seem interested in changing jobs at the moment, maybe a couple years from now that'll be a possibility

Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    Looks like there will be a U-19 camp in January. I could only find four names by doing a quick Twitter search: Johan Penaranda (NYCFC, Navy) Jeremy Rafanello (Philadelphia Union, Drexel), Austin Roberts (Clovis Crossfire) and Joshua Penn (Sockers, Indiana).

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't tell for sure, but it appears '00 Monterrey attacker Jacobo Reyes will be with the U19s according to his Instagram.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Newest roster:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Sam Fowler (Seattle Sounders FC; Issaquah, Wash.), Justin Garces (Atlanta United FC; Miami, Fla.), Johan Penaranda (New York City FC; Long Beach, N.Y.)

DEFENDERS (8): Charlie Asensio (Atlanta United FC; Roswell, Ga.), Sergino Dest (Ajax; Almere-Stad, Netherlands), Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose, Calif.), Chris Gloster (Unattached; Montclair, N.J.), Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew; Columbus, Ohio), Rayshaun McGann (Atlanta United FC; Palm Beach, Fla.), Chris Richards (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Akil Watts (Portland Timbers; Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; Medford, N.J.), Franuel Amaya (Pateadores; Santa Ana, Calif.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Soccer Club; Southlake, Texas), Richard Ledezma (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Isaiah Parente (Columbus Crew; Cleveland, Ohio), AJ Seals (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ontario), Matt Hundley (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Zyen Jones (Atlanta United FC; Clarkston, Ga.), Josh Penn (Sockers FC; Naperville, Ill.), Jeremy Rafanello (Philadelphia Union; Delran, N.J.), Sebastian Soto (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.)

Gloster listed as "Unattached" is pretty interesting, as is Booth, while Jones is still listed with Atlanta. I don't know what to make of that.

Winoman, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably that Gloster and Booth will be joining Schalke, Jones will not. I could be wrong, but if you were to ask me which two of the three would be good enough to sign with Schalke, I'd say the two who are listed as unattached.

This roster is all 00's. As I mentioned in the U-20 thread, I think some of these European clubs didn't release some of these players. There's no Dos Santos but there's Budnik, Fowler and Penaranda. Besides Dos Santos, the U-20's, presumably Sargent and the 01's, the other U-17 WC players not on this roster are Shaver and Reyes, but Reyes is injured, and as @ChuckMe92 mentioned, it seems like he was called up. As for Shaver, hard to know if he was deemed not good enough or there's another reason he isn't at this camp.

I find this interesting. It seems like he was aware on December 12th. Are the rosters really decided that far in advance?

Aaronson has 5 USL appearances, including playing in a playoff game. He's an attacking midfielder. I think this is his first YNT call up.

First call up for RSL's Richard Ledezma to YNT's. Sebastian Soto also called up from the RSL academy. He's scored a trillion goals this season. He might've made the U-17 WC roster, if it was picked a few months later.

Here are some highlights of AJ Seals. Seems to be a holding mid who's tall, calm on the ball and is good at breaking up plays in midfield.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I will be curious to see who the first 2000 who wasn't part of the U17 WC team will be to get called up to the U20 team with the 99s.

Balerion, TxEx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Worth noting again that '00 Jesus Ferreira wasn't included in the group, and could have been due to imminent citizenship (presumably). He did have knee surgery in November. Meniscus surgery of some sort. I don't know if he's training or anything, but it probably wouldn't be worth risking it.

I'm of the opinion that Ferreira and Andrew Carleton are the best domestically based 2000s right now, and its not particularly close after that. This is not a particularly deep group of elite prospects. Just my opinion. Andrew and Jesus are likely to be the only American 2000s to get MLS minutes this year. (Canadian Alphonso Davies is also a 2000)

If the answer to Sandon's question isn't Jesus Ferreira, it'll probably be a defender. That just looks like the weakest spot in our U20 group. So if players like Chris Richards and Rayshaun McGann really make an impression on the USYNT coaches at this camp, it could be a defender like that.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Applying this question to last cycle, the first non-U17 98 to be called up was Isaiah Young in the third U20 camp of the cycle. Fossey and McKennie followed in the fifth U20 camp of the cycle.

I think it's an interesting statistic to monitor. Many of the best even-year players will be ex-U17s, but how quickly and willingly will the U20 staff move on to other players who emerge and discard the "names" from that age cohort? Someone should quantify this and call it the Alfred Koroma Coefficient for each cycle.

Sandon Mibut and TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Koroma!. He may not have made it as a pro but boy did he tear up my assistant coaches U12's back in the day. Some players are like comets that flame out while others are like unpolished gems that are only discovered later with a little more effort to see them.

Anderson11 repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm gonna be very disappointed if this kid never plays in the Mexican second division.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I think he can rise higher eventually.

Balerion and Winoman repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @USAprospects’s Tweet:

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could have seen that. Hopefully there is a write-up about this somewhere.

21. USAUSA

USAUSA New Member

Soccer
    United States
    Jan 6, 2018
    I have a friend that went to watch kid of a younger age and stayed for some of 20s vs 19s. He said 20s won 1st game 1/0. Didn't know players on field or who scored. They played one half and those kids were done and 2 completely new teams were coming on. On official told him there was going to be 3 mini games of one half each. He left and didn't watch next two. Said it was fun to watch and very good.

Winoman, TheFalseNine and Anderson11 repped this.
  22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like the u-20s got their asses handed to them in the following two sessions. And welcome to bigsoccer!

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anyone know if any of these guys are currently on pro contracts? The only one that seems likely off the top of my head is Dest -- though several, obviously, could sign at any moment:

Aaronson Brenden
    Amaya Franuel
    Asensio Charlie
    Budnik Alex
    Dest Sergino
    Ferri Blaine
    Fowler Sam
    Garces Justin
    Gloster Chris
    Hundley Matt
    Jones Zyen
    Keita Aboubacar
    Ledezma Richard
    McGann Rayshaun
    Nuphaus Jean-Julian Foe
    Parente Isaiah
    Penaranda Johan
    Penn Josh
    Rafanello Jeremy
    Richards Chris
    Seals A.J.
    Soto Sebastian
    Watts Akil​

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, other than possibly Dest all have amateur status.