The U18 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So...

11 of the 20 are (by my count) called up the U18s for the first time this cycle: Bassett, Bryant, Diaz, Duke (a different Duke was called up the 18s previously), Haro, Lammers, Munoz-Zarate, Ortiz, Ritaccio, Schulte, Vargas.

Two of them – Duke and Munoz-Zarate - are class of 2020.

Eight have committed to college for this fall:
    Cervantes – UC Irvine
    George, Harper, Sepulveda – UCLA
    Hinojosa – North Carolina
    Lammers – Pittsburgh
    Schulte – Saint Louis

Harper is an interesting one to watch as he’s at Celtic in Scotland right now so we don’t know if he’s gonna stay there or go to Westwood in August.

I can find nothing about college commitments for Martinez and Mendoza, both of whom are listed by TDS as graduating this spring. Both are in MLS academies.

Luksarus and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Also, I find it odd neither Uly Llanez nor Julian Araujo are in this camp. I know Araujo is w/ the Gals in preseason so maybe he's leaning toward signing with them. I know he once committed to UC Santa Barbara but I'd be surprised if he ends up going.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Most of the best players in this age group are not at this camp.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I saw a post that said that Araujo signed with Nike. If true, no UCSB, and there's a possibility of his signing with LAG.

5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the odds of him going to UCSB were slim to start with

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't decide if I have a bad grasp on the '01 age group or if USSF made a lot of shocking roster decisions.

Only a couple of these players would even be on my "experimental camp" roster. I've seen a number of players listed on this roster play recently, and I didn't even take much notice of their play.

SoccerLover829 repped this.
  7. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    I looked at the list and I am shocked...especially with the mentioned upcoming tournament in Poland this summer. Did MLS Academy teams just not release the players for this camp?
    I see Ochoa with this group but never heard of that other GK listed...What happened to Collidi, Shakes, Travasos and Pulskamp?? Are they training with First Teams / USL Teams?

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gent who is trying to buy a Danish club to stash an American or two is headed to watch the camp:
    1092457754873126913 is not a valid tweet id

ChuckMe92, KUSA77, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  9. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    Any updates on this camp? It has been so quiet -

\ O /
    |
    / \

10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Playing LAG II tomorrow

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what this guy is trying to do, but does it seem to anyone else that he's going to have a tough time landing U.S. youth internationals? Most of these players are either pegged earn significant MLS minutes (like Durkin, or Adams, or McKenzie) or are going to get European academy deals.

I really don't see many U.S. youth internationals (at least key ones) being attracted to a lower-half, second-tier Danish team in the hopes that maybe they can get sold to the 3.Liga.

I know he thinks it will be a good selling point for kids but what kind of players do we really think he's going to land?

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And, tangentially related, what does a lower-half, second-tier Danish team pay?

Is it more competitive than MLS? USL?

It seems to be to pull this off he'll either need to throw above-market money at these kids or spend money on scouting and go after kids who are under the radar and might now have many other pro options.

YNT kids tend not to fit the under the radar profile.

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of kids who get a callup or two and nothing more. If he’s smart, he’d provide a stepping stone to bigger European clubs

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that all of the first- and second-tier prospects are getting better offers all over the place now. Why sign for what is effectively a new and unproven venture in the lower divisions of Denmark when there are surer and proven paths available?

I'm sure they'll be able to sign fourth-tier prospects who they won't make a profit off, because they're fourth-tier prospects and therefore not that good. Plus, who is going to pay big enough transfer fees to cover costs? Lower-division Danish players don't go for much.

This is all like a ever-so-slightly-improved version of Traffic's player signings, except that still means it's a shitty idea that's not going to work.

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #315 bshredder, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    That’s exactly right.

Look at the caliber of players who are unlikely to make the U-20 World Cup team. Manny Perez got a Celtic deal. Omir Fernandez got a Red Bull homegrown deal. Anthony Fontana and Brandon Aaronson will probably play for Philly this year. Frankie Amaya was the #1 overall pick. Isaac Angking also has played and will continue to get minutes with the Revs. Sam Vines will also play for the Rapids.

A lot of this also means that the USL is getting better and more proven. There’s a good chance if you’re doing well in that league as a young player, you’re on a pretty good track to have a nice career, even if you’re not NT level. The amount of good players that have played in the USL in recent years is impressive.

All that is more proven than a lower-half, 2nd tier in Denmark. Aside from a real outlier and a rare case, where is player likely to end up after starting there? Finland?

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are, however, Keaton Parks type of players that seem to "slip thru the establishment cracks." Keaton was first signed by Varzim. At the time weren't they in the Portuguese 2nd division?

That's the kind of player that he should try to unearth. They're seemingly out there if a person is really willing to invest in the search. You're absolutely right that the caliber of player making our U20WC team (or even in the mix) probably won't be interested.

I guess if you're trying to do this sorta thing you need to get your name out there and be seen. I mean, this particular U18 camp seems about right for the type of player he might be looking for.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Players at YNT camps aren't exactly slipping through the cracks, are they? ;)

If he wants to go the prospect route, it is going to be harder, but maybe not impossible if his scouting network is good and people buy his sales pitch.

Every year the DA puts out plenty of guys who are probably just around/below the YNT pool level and if he can convince a few of them not to go to Michigan State or wherever, and they can move up a level in Denmark for a small sum after a year, that may be good business for a free player. (If I were him, I'd be going to Alianza events, too.)

If his model is built on seven-figure deals, that may be a challenge unless he's willing to spend on "consensus elite" prospects. Maybe that's good for exposure, if it works. I'd love to know more about his plan. It's all about the spreadsheets, fellas.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be the tagline of the YNT forum.

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The club would sell more immediate 1st Team playing time, but would likely need to overpay on some 2nd Tier prospects and then have success in development and sell-on portion of the model in order for it to succeed long-term.

It certainly seems like a heavy lift on paper.

20. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    2-2 draw, Hategan w/ a goal and assist

Sombrerito, don Lamb and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course his chances take an even bigger hit if his club, FC Helsingør, is relegated out of the 2nd tier. It's a very distinct possibility given they're in last place (albeit by just 1 point).

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    ckajMonet and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even worth worrying about the viability of this dude's plans. Most likely it will all be forgotten in a year or two.

He was involved in the Burlingame Dragons, and they had all sorts of plans, to be the Quakes USL affiliate, build a stadium, etc. They no longer exist.

Then he was involved in an effort to bring a USL team to San Francisco, build a stadium, etc. They were supposed to start in 2019... it's now 2019.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/spo...dner-takes-the-next-step-in-the-soccer-world/

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Owner-outlines-plans-for-S-F-soccer-team-11306528.php

Best of luck to him but I'm not going to waste any brain cells thinking about it until there is good reason to do so...

24. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    What's next for this group? Summer tournament in Poland?

25. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Unsure but they could start with hiring a coach. Maybe Tab plans to continue pulling double-duty