The U18 program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 3, 2017.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's Marcelo Palomino. I noticed him too. Throughout the game, he was extremely good on the ball. Changed the game.

Lookingforleftbacks and butters59 repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really struggled to put our shots on target today.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's old fashioned US team. Very athletic and fast. Balogun is a monster. Skill wise and tactically not that great. Booth was playing really deep, Palomino and Morris were pretty good, defense was solid. Ochoa is an interesting case: great athlete with good technique who is way to theatrical, although he has plenty of time to grow up.

4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Yeah, nevermind.... I watched from the beginning and was the usual 433.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Palomino

butters59 repped this.
  6. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    I will watch Tomorrow's game, which is a interesting match up. Seems like last year we lost to Japan in this tournament.

7. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't find the game on tvcom.cz. Has anyone had any luck?

8. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Maybe there is no live stream at all.

9. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think there is one, but the website management is poor, so we can't find it.

I keep clicking through on the Fotbal tab, where there are several live matches listed, but only up to 1500.

Just sent an email in English to the contact email. Maybe they'll fix it or an archived stream will show up later.

Pl@ymaker and kingshark repped this.
  10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    We won the final against Japan, still waiting to find out the scoreline

11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, according to some guy on reddit, they won in PKs.

12. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    20180825_113748.jpg

Thank goodness for Reddit & IG

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llanez's father confirms the US won on PKs.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uly scored the goal. Header. He was really really good this tournament. I'll have highlights soon.

15. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights vs UAE:

1033411958681358336 is not a valid tweet id

Namdynamo, Anderson11, tippco333 and 6 others repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Bryan Reynolds is a center back now?

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the new Brek Shea. Hopefully he embraces a position and sticks.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I wish we could get some info on the Japan game. Through the group stage games though, he played more minutes than any other player on the roster.

I don't know if that is a sign that he is excelling at the position, that he needs the minutes there, or that an injury to another player (Otasowie only played the first 45 minutes of the group games) forced it. Along those lines, did Balogun's presence in the team have any influence on the position switch?

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  20. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Reynolds was moved to right back for the Pro FCD team at practices. He hasn't been rostered for any pro games and I don't think he has played any USL games either (unlike Ferrera and Servania at FCD). The question is does FCD have enough control or sway over the youth national teams to tell them to play Reynolds as a defender or did the US National team coaches decide that on their own? I tend to think FCD told them to play him there. Either way, it looks like he has made the switch, USYNT and PRO team so he is a defender now. I hope that gives him more of a chance to play for the pro team because if they kept him as an attacker he would never see the field for Oscar.

21. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Bayern could have advised as well.

This move definitely makes his path to the first team a lot clearer, but I think he's still a ways from that level.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Since he's been around so long, I think we forget how young Reynolds is. He's younger than Thomas Roberts. Its normal for kids of that age to switch positions to see where their developing skill set fits. From everything we've heard from the coaching staff, they think he's doing well there. Still only 17, so still a while (and a lot of development) before we need to think of MLS starts. USL team will be perfect for him next year as a 17/18 year old. Gotta prove himself there.

I don't know why some have gotten irked by this position switch for Bryan. Lots of young FCDers switch positions around. Kellyn Acosta was a left back at Bradenton, then a central midfielder with the FCD academy, then broke thru at right back with the FCD first team, then a central midfielder again with the first team.

You either trust that Pareja and the staff see something there...............or not.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Too often in US soccer history we've seen guys switched from attacking positions to defensive positions too late in their career and they always had certain deficiencies that arguably stemmed from that late switch.

If Reynolds isn't going to be able to hack it as a forward or winger at a high level, better to pull the trigger on a positional switch sooner rather than later.

Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just coming here to say pretty much the same thing. I don't have a take on Reynolds specifically, but it's hard not to wonder how different our pool might have looked over, say, the past decade if a few guys had been moved to defense at, say, 16 instead of 5 years later.

You know who I always thought could've been a hell of an LB?

I'll give you a guess: He played for one team that no longer exists, and another that doesn't have the same name any more.

OK, enough of that -- it's Ali Curtis. He was rugged, had some technique, kind of one-footed but, hey, he was a lefty.