The U.S. U-16 Program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With only the group winners advancing to the semifinals, it looks like the US will be joined there by Slovenia, Japan, and Portugal. While the formatting on the tournament site is a little strange, I believe the US will play Slovenia on Sunday in Nova Gorica, Slovenia. Japan and Portugal will play their semifinal match the same day, but in Torviscosa, Italy.

To win their group, Slovenia beat Mexico (2-0) and tied 0-0 with both Russia and Romania. So they haven't given up any goals in the tournament either.

TxEx, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vs. Croatia:
    [​IMG]

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  3. Marco Vermars

Marco Vermars New Member

Apr 23, 2018

It says that today's game will be streamed

4. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks tons for posting this link.

I'm an old school guy with almost no interaction with newish social media. US Soccer use to list these kinds of youth games on its schedule page complete with broadcast information. It wasn't comprehensive, but it was something. Now, there's nothing. I sent them an email about this a few weeks ago with regard to a Women's youth tournament in Switzerland which mentioned a live stream in the website article, but nothing else. In addition, finding articles on the website has gotten harder. Good luck, if it isn't on the front page. I blame the format change to the emphasis on mobile with the big boxes....that decrease in usability for web based users is commonplace.

Your post prompted me to look at the US Soccer twitter and YNT twitter where there is nothing about this upcoming stream.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The warmups are already being streamed, if you're particularly obsessive.

Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Kind of watching over my shoulder while I make food for the baby, it seems like the U.S. has a slight athletic age (speed/quickness, though not size and not a men-among-boys edge) and is using it pretty effectively to pressure their opponents. Our play in the final third has not been particularly good though we look decent in possession. The crowd (which I can't see, so for all I know it's a few dozen parents) is for the other guys.

Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Very nice right-footed FK goal from USA #19 (I think) from about 20 or so. He hit the inside of the post, just beating the diving GK, with a short runup to a ball that probably looked like it was going to be taken by the lefty.

Winoman, Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal was scored by #18

Winoman, Gacm32 and ckajMonet repped this.
  9. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #85 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    They answered quickly off a corner that went straight to a pretty tall guy waiting in the goal box. I didn't get a good look at it, and the GK did get a paw to it, but it was from close range. The ball came in fairly hot, and I'm not sure the goalie had a play to come out -- didn't see the play closely enough.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like this

Krenecki
    Cuevas-Stoup-Walls-Sorenson
    Casas
    Levya-Miscic
    Bohui-Toure-Freeman

So far I've been impressed with almost all of the back line, Cases, Freeman and Toure. The goal was from Freeman.

Winoman, Gacm32, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  12. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Walls and Stoup both look good

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if the left back is still Sorenson, but I'm super impressed with whoever it is.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    After 1-1 FT, the U.S. had chances to end it in the first set of penalties, couldn't pull it off, and lost the shootout.

Gacm32, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #89 ussoccer97531, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    We lost on penalties.

We were the significantly better team. Slovenia didn't even try to possess the ball, all counter-attacking. And their goal was on a corner-kick. I'm not sure they had more than 1 or 2 shots besides that.

Krenecki was average, nothing great, nothing terrible. Didn't have any saves to make, and he couldn't have really stopped the goal. Cuevas was very good. He has a very good understanding of the game defensively, and can get forward. I've been impressed by him watching him multiple times now. Stoup was beat on the corner-kick for a goal, but was decent. I'm not sure if he's tall enough to play CB, but seemed to be a good ball-playing CB who defends pretty well. Walls was solid defensively, but he's kind of slow. He's also very tall, so maybe he ends up one of these tower CB's who struggles for pace, but can dominate in the air. Sorenson was very impressive. He defended well, and was pretty good going forward, even with some skill.

Casas was very solid. Played as a lone 6 in front of the back 4, dropping in-between the CB's, at times. He distributed the ball where it needed to go, and did a good defensive job. Leyva played as a #8, and moved the ball around some in CM. He wasn't very involved in the game. Miscic played as a #10, and was not very involved in the game either. Bohui started out at RW, and struggled. He was subbed out at the half for Sealy who was very good. He was cutting inside on his left, and weaving through players. Very impressive.

Freeman played as a LW, and was one of our best players. He showcased very good close control with his dribbling, and showed creativity. He scored a nice free-kick goal, and nearly scored from distance two other times. He strikes the ball very well. Hard to know what position he'll play at higher levels, maybe CF, maybe #10, maybe wing, but he's pretty talented. Toure played as a CF, and I was impressed. He didn't dominate, but he was playing up a year, so that should be accounted for. Slovenia could not deal with his speed, and he nearly turned their defenders 3-4 times. I thought Slovenia got bailed out on a few calls where was in on goal, and then the whistle blew. He also showcased polished hold up play, understanding of the game and dribbling.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Too bad our quality wasn't rewarded with a win. We were just tons better. Even just needing one PK to win but such is youth football.
    Every player looked like very good prospects. We needed to work the ball better through the final third. Needed to be more patient with our skill superiority.

Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Does anyone know if they're playing a 3rd place game?

18. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes on May Day vs. Japan at 11:06 AM local time (5:06 AM ET/ 2:06 AM PT) although I seriously doubt there will be a stream.

https://www.torneodellenazioni.com/dev/griglia/

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Almost didn't watch the PK shootout, I'm use to disappointment on that end by americans already.

20. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here are the facecrack videos of the US/Italy match:

https://www.facebook.com/soccernetworkllc/videos/vb.374895205868751/1920896547935268/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/soccernetworkllc/videos/vb.374895205868751/1920951504596439/?type=2&theater

From reading this thread, I gather that there was a professionally produced telecast on udinese.tv of better quality than the above linked videos. So far, I haven't been able to find an archive of that video.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    2-1 win over Japan. Monis and Cuevas were the goal scorers

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    After watching the US vs Slovenia game and knowing Slovenia won the championship I can safely say we were the best team there.
    Things looking good for some of our youth. Now we need to figure out how to develop the mid to late team so they can start really contributing and starring in MLS in their late teens and early twenties.

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...oncurrent-training-camps-in-bradenton-florida
    U.S. U-16 Boys’ National Team Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (5): *Mitchell Budler (Shattuck-Saint Mary's; Lincoln, Neb.), *Andrew Cordes (Colorado Rapids; Denver, Colo.), Eliot Jones (New England Revolution; New Britain, Conn.), Gavin Krenecki (Sacramento Republic FC; Fair Oaks, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (10): Adrian Aguilar (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Mauricio Cuevas (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), *Mitchell Ferguson (Sporting Kansas City; Glen Carbon, Ill.), *Michael Lenis (Sporting Kansas City; Weston, Fla.), *Yahir Lopez (Phoenix Rising FC; Chandler, Ariz.), *Kayden Pierre (Sporting Kansas City; Rochester Hills, Mich.), *Mario Sanchez (Proyecto Elite; El Paso, Texas), Anton Sorenson (Crew SC Academy Wolves; Ann Arbor, Mich.), Kobey Stoup (Atlanta United FC; Montgomery, Ala.), Casey Walls (San Jose Earthquakes; Mill Valley, Calif.)​

MIDFIELDERS (8): *Paxten Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; Medford, N.J.), Javier Casas Jr. (Chicago Fire; Addison, Ill.), Daniel Leyva (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.), Jack McGlynn (BW Gottschee; Middle Village, N.Y.), Selmir Miscic (Philadelphia Union; Royersford, Pa.) *Moses Nyemen (D.C. United; Riverdale, Md.), *Nicolas Pereira (Weston FC; Doral, Fla.), Edwin Villarreal (FC Dallas; El Paso, Texas)

FORWARDS (8): Patrick Bohui (Philadelphia Union; Philadelphia, Penn.); Andres Cardenas (Weston FC; Doral, Fla.), *Brian Gutierrez (Chicago Fire; Burbank, Ill.), Alex Monis (Chicago Fire; Naperville, Ill.), *Francesco Pagano (Empire United; Manlius, N.Y.), *Ivan Pino (Tuzos Soccer Club; Phoenix, Ariz.), Dante Sealy (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Dantouma Toure (PDA; Trenton, N.J.)​

The prominent new callup, of course, is Nyeman.

24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish there was a game and we could watch it. It’d be nice to see him in action. Still, it’s nice to see him able to get called in