The U.S. U-16 Program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I dare people to continue to say US Youth teams aren't diverse enough?

Winoman, Sandon Mibut and USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Do people say that?

The criticism I hear isn't that there is racial discrimination but player attribute discrimination. The USSF prefers large, fast, athletes and doesn't favor smaller, slower, technical players. They will pick Derrick Jones over Jonathan Gonzales or completely overlook a player like Jacori Hayes but drool over Ayo Akinola.

I think there is some validity to it. Of course, what you want are large, fast, technical players. Do you pick the large, fast kids and try and coach them up or take the technical kids and play a system that doesn't expose their lack of athleticism? I think the coaches in USSF are not going to be able to do the second so they try the first.

Or it could be that the kids have already been selected earlier than the USSF ever sees them. The direct ball to the big, fast kid at U8 level wins games. That kid scoring goals is memorable and gets noticed. When the other kids grow, he isn't as big and fast anymore and his skills are to run fast and shoot on goal keepers that are usually not that good.

Namdynamo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 mattjo, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    There have been numerous articles online throughout the past decade from major news outlets asserting that there was a diversity issue in youth soccer (boys and girls). So yes, people including journalists, have indeed said that.A think tank actually wrote about it in September 2017. This has come from the entire pay-to-play model and was a huge theme during the recent elections for the various state associations.

Stupid_American and SUDano repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Yes they do. Type in diversity into the search engine and see how many comments on the lack of diversity of US Soccer.
    Herc Gomez recently brought it up, MLS had a roundtable on it last year. You mention it here as being valid.

5. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I forgot to look for the match stream. I don't have and won't do facebook, so that stream looks out for me for future matches. Sometimes, facebook live videos don't require log in. That I'll do, but the above facebook page looks very log in protected. Udinese.tv is live stream only. I'll look there for the next match.

If anyone finds a archived video, please post it. Nothing yet on the udinese or torneo delle nazione youtube pages.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Got it, thanks. Also, please let us know when you want the pizza rolls served and what kind of sodas you like.

;)

7. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If only there were still negative rep. I'm posting videos I found to try to help the cause and you are slinging insults.

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It was a joke.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sensitive, much?

bballshawn repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes, but that is income disparity not racial disparity. You can't look at a picture and tell whose parents have money. That article was saying that mostly suburban kids have money for pay to play and poorer urban kids don't. Didn't say all YNTs were white or not. The OP was pointing to a picture, not to a chart of income distribution.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Then there was this famous team
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-roster-for-2013-fifa-u20-world-cup-in-turkey
    with average height 5'6" or something and total lack of speed.

onefineesq and ielag repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, and I don't want to completely derail this thread...............but I saw a recent analysis of the German national team. Most of the German national teamers (with some exceptions) are from middle-class or better families and would have gone to college if not for a soccer career. Not only were they college bound, but the average German national teamer is highly intelligent & did very well in school. Also ethnically diverse, but I digress...................

We need to do everything we can in this country to make this sport available to everyone. It's also OK if we have a national team that's mostly suburban kids. If that's where the talent is, then that's where the talent is. Christian Pulisic and Weston McKennie didn't come from a frickin' favela. To some degree we romanticize the favela or downtrodden barrio, and the players in South American that come from them. I guess we love the "rags to riches" stories. It's not romantic. It sucks.

Anybody paying even the slightest shred of attention to development academy games would know that the sport is diverse. For Pete's sake, watch one FC Dallas game at the U17 or U19 level. You'll see kids from all sorts of backgrounds. Hell, you'll probably hear the team speaking Spanish on the field to each other.

USSoccerNova and Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pl@ymaker and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The point is not to fixate on a particular squadlist or photograph of a starting XI. It's to think purposefully about whether the system does well by the breadth of talent available to it so that, at the top of the funnel, everyone with talent worth cultivating has a shot, and people aren't kept out of the funnel for reasons that hurt them as well as the program.

16. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Due to passport issues the Libyan team couldn't make the trip and were replaced by Macedonia, we beat them 2-0. Monis scored one of the goals, assisted by Kader

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel for some of these countries players as their governments are so messed up there are dueling passport creating places. Supposedly Syria's machine(s) for passports were in the hands of ISIS for a while. just another thing we're lucky enough to take for granted.

Thundering165 repped this.
  18. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I worked in an international school for a time and many students from those countries would have passports from various Caribbean nations despite never having set foot there. It made international travel much easier. Many Americans don’t realize how easy they have it.

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup:
    Eliot Jones, Mauricio Cuevas, Adrian Aguilar, Israel Carrillo, Casey Walls, Jack McGlynn, Edwin Villarreal, Tyler Freeman, Dominic Vegaalban, Selmir Miscic, Alex Monis

Winoman, Pl@ymaker, Patrick167 and 2 others repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    2-0 win over Croatia. Goals by Miscic and Vegaalban.

Namdynamo, ielag, USSoccerNova and 8 others repped this.
  22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish there were highlights/film because that's a hell of a result.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we've given up a goal this tournament, have we?

Anderson11 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.friuligol.it/2018/04/15/...-avanti-tutta-croazia-meritavi-il-gol-023924/

US lineup vs. Croatia:
    Eliot Jones, Israel Carrillo, Kobey Stoup (Eric Kinzner), Casey Walls, Adrian Aguilar, Daniel Leyva (Anton Sorenson), Edwin Villarreal (Tyler Freeman), Jack McGlynn, Dante Sealy (Selmir Miscic), Alex Monis (Dantouma Toure), Dominic Vegaalban

Sounds like Croatia hardly had any opportunities. Sealy and Villarreal had attempts in the first half. Miscic's goal was off a chance from Vegaalban, then Vegaalban himself scored the second goal with Freeman setting it up.

KUSA77, Patrick167, Peretz48 and 10 others repped this.