The U.S. U-15 Program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Color me a bit surprised to hear that there (apparently) isn't some kind of easily accessible, FIFA- or confederation-run clearinghouse of club contacts for national team callup use.

TarHeels17 and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our poor itty bitty national team needs to attend some networking sessions and make some friends at some clubs.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I hear ya. But there are some pretty poor itty bitty national team programs out there in the world that might actually need something like that, if it doesn't exist.

4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I would bet that most youth national teams are pulling the vast majority of their players from domestic clubs where connections and relationships are already established. Our fed has to be the most diverse in terms of where we are calling our youth players in from, so this type of thing probably isn't much of an issue around the world.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appears Zach Booth, Brandan Craig, Cooper Flax, Samuel Fenton, and Levi Stephens are in as well. (Side note: US Soccer's website calls him Zack, but his own Instagram says Zach. https://www.instagram.com/czb.23/)

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow, US Soccer is really looking outside the MLS/Foreign team academy.

There's all of - checks notes - THREE! domestic-based players on the roster from outside MLS... and one of them is from a USL academy. And Rotundo is supposedly Europe bound as he has an EU passport.

Should we automatically assume MLS is hording this much of the top talent in this age group or is USSF still not turning over enough stones outside of MLS and the big USSDA clubs?

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Craig ended getting a callup of the names I mention. Philadelphia Union's official Twitter account said Fenton was getting the US U15 call, yet he isn't listed. The others were from hints on Instagram that typically do pan out, but this time did not.

Anderson11 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Two keepers from the same team. When was the last time a YNT called up two from the same team?

Two players from Houston Dynamo. Maybe there's some talent in the younger levels of their DA?

Victor Valdez is destroying the DA with LAG. Has anyone seen him play yet?

Chicago has four players on this roster. Allan Rodriguez has been playing with Indiana Fire this season, but this roster says he's at Chicago Fire.

We never know about the RSL academy until U-17 level because they don't add DA rosters and results to the DA website until U-17 level. Dewsnup and Booth both have YNT call ups from the '04 year in their academy.

Angel Martinez ('05) is playing up a year. I saw him play recently. Very talented CB for a player of his age. We'll see how his athleticism develops, but he has excellent ball-playing ability at the CB position and is tall for a player of his age.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I noticed those Dynamo names. I think something positive is in the works there. Since taking over the DA director position Paul Holocher has been very proactive.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly is not laziness so is it just protecting players from others?

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve had my eye on him and I’ve been trying to make it down to Carson but all of their games are on Sundays so it’s probably not going to happen until after the Super Bowl. :)

I’m going to try to make it a double feature and catch the u17s with Cuevas and Perez after. I’ve been asking around on Twitter trying to figure out if the u15s are playing a game this camp cuz if they are, I’ll go down there for that one, too.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean if the U15 YNT is playing a game this camp, since that’s also in Carson

15. Jack0503

Jack0503 Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 24, 2018
    Sam Fenton was picked to go but got hurt,

Anderson11 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That is the question. But what I think is happening is that a pyramid is developing. It is a big country and nobody can scout the whole thing without laying out big bucks. So, MLS teams are scouting their DA brethren and maybe some other local clubs and bringing in the best players. The non-MLS DA teams are scouring the local non-DA teams and bringing in what they want.

USSF can sit on top and mostly scount the MLS Academies. Some kids won't want to move to a MLS team, and those have to be followed. Frees up people to then focus overseas.

The question is at the younger ages where Pay-to-Play is probably sending kids on non-optimal development paths or giving up to play other sports.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't know if anyone follows U15 YNT pool players as closely as the regulars around here. I'm not one of those, but I am interested. From what I've gathered, the consensus wisdom is that these players are the best:

Evan Rotundo
    Fede Oliva
    Victor Valdez

And of those not on the roster:

Dantouma Toure

18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    US Soccers press release for this camp mentioned this -
    • Players born on or after Jan. 1, 2004 are eligible for the 2019 Concacaf U-15 Boys’ Championship.

ussoccer97531 and ielag repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rotundo is much better than any other player in this year, IMO. I think Brandan Craig is the second best player in the year. Toure is a hard player to analyze because he's played a lot above his own age group, and not been all that good in older age-groups. Maybe he shouldn't be expected to do anything more than hold his own at higher levels, but its hard to then compare him to players who are playing in their own age group. I'd like to see him play in his own age group when he returns from injury.

I don't see any indication anyone here has watched Oliva or Valdez play. They are "names" for now.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Thanks! Claudio Reyna had an interesting thought on some podcast about USA development. He tried to figure out why we can have so many resources, players, money, etc. and not churn out the best players. He thought it was because our best players are too far apart. That the level of competition at any age group is diluted because there are hundreds of miles between the elite of the elite, unlike say Belgium, where they are all near each other and playing each other.

He said, and others including Ramos, have said the trend in combating this is to play kids up in ages. So, Toure can't get anything out of playing 14 year olds around New Jersey, but he can be pushed by playing U19.

I guess he would play his own age with the U15 YNT.

This happens in baseball too. And a much younger elite player will just hold their own.

Tom Collingsworth and Anderson11 repped this.
  21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I think it's impressive what Angel Martinez has been doing.

Three Sounders called up btw.
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...emy-players-called-us-u-15-national-team-camp

Tom Collingsworth, KUSA77, STR1 and 4 others repped this.
  22. Jack0503

Jack0503 Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 24, 2018
    Fede Oliva was injured over the weekend and will not be at this camp

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Injured” right before a training camp is how we stole Johannsson from Iceland.... Hmm... Of course now that we see how his career has unfolded that injury seems a lot more plausible

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #149 STR1, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Is Oliva eligible for Argentina?

25. ussoccer97531