The U.S. U-15 Program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, with the sudden mass poaching Europe has been doing on our youth players, a player like JoGo could’ve easily ended up at a much better club in Europe if he had just stayed here and played in the DA.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wonder what it would take for San Jose to fix this

3. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Probably getting an owner that cares about developing youth for his team would help them.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To an extent, they’re always going to lose some players to Mexico or Europe. But they could at least hold onto SOME of the top players. A reformation of their team where they actually give minutes to youth players would do wonders for them. What do they have to lose? They’re already embarrassingly awful

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could say this for most MLS clubs.

What bothers me is the fact that multiple LigaMX clubs are looking in the Bay Area harder than SJ. Pretty pathetic. Not only that, but they're easily far better teams than the dumpster fire the Quakes have been for years. And SJ isn't spending lots of money on their roster.

There is absolutely no excuse for, not only their poor scouting, but the fact that they hardly unearth anyone at all. Nor do they give their good youngsters playing time when they get them.

Just piss-poor all around. People will slip through the cracks, because the Bay Area + Sacramento is a pretty big area to cover for one team. But they're barely trying, and screwing up the kids that drop into their systems.

USSoccerNova and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there's a U15 camp in Chula Vista soon:

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    As an aside to this, Cano played and his team won the Sporting Invitational Tournament this weekend in a final against the Bayern Munich affiliate club in Nor Cal. Director of Coaching for them told his father that Bayern had seen Cano play in previous tournaments also and really wanted the DOC to recruit him. Even hinted that if he was a club member he could be picked as a guest player for Bayern at the Milk Cup in Ireland. So how can a superclub like BM know about him and San Jose does not?

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are
    Or, if you want,
    Or even
    What I don't get is, if you're San Jose, and Bayern Munich, or other European teams, are sniffing around a prospect, shouldn't it be a given for SJ to try to see if the prospect is any good?

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So the camp is going on right now.

Surprised US Soccer hasn't made an announcement. Ok, I'm not that surprised. More like peeved.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring freeze! Live look at the YNT offices in Soccer House:

[​IMG]

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's possible (based on Tweets) that another DC-area kid, an '04 named Mathias Yohannes, could be part of this group.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evan Rotundo was called up

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @thenextsoccer’s Tweet:
    1030644082421334016 is not a valid tweet id

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Gilberto Rivera received any callups this cycle? He was a standout for San Jose, at the Manchester City Cup, earlier this year.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #91 ussoccer97531, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    27 of 36 players born in the first half of the year. US Soccer needs to do better than that.

Houston Dynamo and Colorado Rapids each have a player listed. Neither player actually played in their academy last year, but its better that they are scooping up players from around their area than not doing so.

4-1 LAFC to LAG advantage. One of the LAFC players actually played for LAG last season, and the LAG player wasn't with LAG last season.

There's a 6'3 204 keeper listed. I found that interesting. I wonder if the kid is a decent athlete to go along with good pro keeper size at age 13. Only 1 player from Atlanta United, LAG and FC Dallas. I know US Soccer likes to give everyone a chance and it makes sense at U-15 level, but I have a hard time believing only 3 of the best 36 in the country come from those three academies.

The Atlanta United player is a 6'1 CM who played about half of the season with the U-15's last season. Might be a player to watch out for to see if he gets called up to the U-17 team this season at Atlanta United.

I've seen a couple of these players play before. I saw most of the LAFC guys, but I don't remember much about any of them, so suffice it to say none really stood out. Rotundo is very good. Craig is very good. I wasn't very impressed by Elizalde.

There are only two players listed who played at the U-17 level last season, Rotundo and Cisneros. Rotundo has been talked about in this section a lot, SKC players (Cisneros) tend to play up many years, if they are good.

There are two players with the same last name and both from Virginia, but not related.

Two Crossfire Premier players. I haven't seen either play, but one thing I've noticed with that academy is their players tend to put up incredible stats, but aren't actually that impressive. I don't know if its style of play or a lack of squad rotation or weak competition. Just an observation. Maybe those two players are very good players.

Has Toure aged out of playing with the U-15's? I don't like that idea. He looked very average playing up a year with the 03's when I saw him play in that team. Let him dominate in his own age group. I don't see the point of moving him up yet.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god, a 13 year old kid that is 6'3 and 204 lbs vs a kid that is 5'3 and only weighs 90?

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Concussion syndrome scares a lot of parents. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a few kids in soccer that would have played football in years past

Dirt McGirt and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 ShaftBrewer, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For possible '05s to watch out for the US U15s, besides Kevin Kelley and Alex Alcala, here's Robert Willcot from LAFC. 21 goals in 22 matches last season for LAFC U-13, likely one of the top scorers in all of the DA on goals/match ratio. Bottom row second from left in the photo.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @thenextsoccer’s Tweet:
    1032462447259467777 is not a valid tweet id

21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our 04s and 05s are looking so good right now

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think we can tell that the top end of '04 is looking good early on. Its early on to know about '05 IMO.

I don't even know that ChuckMe92's post is wrong that those are the "05's to watch out for" right now, but Alcala is playing for Mexico and I don't think any of us have actually seen Kelley play. Saying that, I think you can really start to tell how good a player is at U-15 or U-17 level. It's somewhat hard to tell about these younger players in the U-13 or U-14 age groups. I watched a couple of U-13 games last season(05's), and I gathered its a level where the players are still playing kick ball and its not quite to the football level. The players probably need to be a year or two older to get a better idea of what they can do.

ChuckMe92 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #100 ChuckMe92, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Off-topic, but this is the father of Rokas Pukstas, who has been a U15 regular.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindaugas_Pukštas

Edit: I like how the father is a native of Kaunas and now the son plays soccer in Kansas. Rokas moved to SKC from OKC Energy's academy. He scored in the opener for SKC U15s.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.