The U.S. Immigration Catch-All Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Apr 23, 2010.

1. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're making my point for me.

As unemployment falls real wages rise as the supply of labour tightens. Business mitigates this rise in wages by bringing in cheap labour via immigration policy. The Brexit announcment has disrupted this process.

2. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    its obvious from the graph that real wages growth in the period from early 2017 describes a tight linear correlation. You won't find a stronger linear regression for that length of time over the previous 15 years in the data or on that graph.
    Picture1.png

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, you can see Stephen Miller's claws and fangs all over it:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/18/trump-officials-refugee-zero-1603503

The Trump administration is considering a virtual shutdown of refugee admissions next year — cutting the number to nearly zero — according to three people familiar with the plan.

During a key meeting of security officials on refugee admissions last week, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services representative who is closely aligned with White House immigration adviser Stephen Miller suggested setting a cap at zero, the people said. Homeland Security Department officials at the meeting later floated making the level anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000, according to one of the people.

The proposal for a near-shutdown of the refugee program is alarming officials at the Department of Defense, who don’t want to see a halt in admissions of Iraqis who risked their lives assisting U.S. forces in that country. The possible move comes after the Trump administration cut refugee admissions by a third this year, to 30,000.

soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dateline: Monday, Nashville, Tennessee. ICE shows up, detains two men. Neighbors show up, say GTFOoH.

To ICE.

https://reason.com/2019/07/24/nashv...ore-of-that-for-all-sorts-of-law-enforcement/

"Neighbors say the man and his son were in a van parked in their driveway, with a white pickup truck driven by an ICE agent parked behind them, blocking them in. Soon more than a dozen neighbors were gathered outside the home, along with immigrant rights advocates, as the man and his son sat in their van, beginning a standoff that lasted several hours," the Nashville Scene reports. "As the hours passed, witnesses say, neighbors brought food and water to the man and his son and also put more gas in the van so they could keep it running."

Ultimately, the neighbors formed a human chain through which the man and his son walked from their van to their house. They've since relocated to a new home. The incident was captured on video and posted to Facebook.

To an extent, the success of this particular confrontation between good people and federal enforcers hinged on the fact that the ICE agents, as is usually the case, relied on the warrant version of Confederate money.

"An 'ICE warrant' is not a real warrant," notes the Immigrant Legal Resource Center. "It is not reviewed by a judge or any neutral party to determine if it is based on probable cause. Because it is not issued by a judge, an ICE warrant does not give the immigration enforcement officer the authority to demand entry to a home or private space in order to make the arrest."

ICE's self-issued documents allege civil immigration violations and so also don't authorize local authorities to make arrests in the absence of separate criminal violations. That's a big part of why Metro Nashville Police was on the scene but only observed the confrontation and did nothing to intervene.

Which is to say, obstructing ICE comes with minimal risks.​

fatbastard, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gotta catch all the brown people:

1154206233185923073 is not a valid tweet id

1154209533868347393 is not a valid tweet id

soccernutter repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Only the best:

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fatbastard repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deal with Guatemala.

https://www.economist.com/democracy...-migration-pact-with-the-guatemalan-president

dapip repped this.
  9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck is going on?!?!

LINK

They also accused her 14 year old brother of being a human trafficker and tried to get him to sign a paper saying his sister was his cousin.

soccernutter repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they all sue and get paid.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1) ICE workers hold dehumanizing jobs.

2) With this administration, there not only is no understanding or appreciation of how people behave when they hold dehumanizing jobs, but anybody who does recognize the issue and attempts to deal with it will be removed.

In such situations, when management is AWOL, how do workers in dehumanizing jobs boost their morale and make the situation tolerable? By closing ranks and ********ing with outsiders ... meaning the detainees.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    First they put the Messican beibies in cages, and I didn't care 'cause I ain't no Messican beibi..

Then they arrested those brown skinned anchor beibies, and I thought it was OK, 'cause their no reel 'Muricans..

Then they jailed all the **********s' and the Jews, and I was happy they put them in their places...

Then they came for my job, my social security and my healthcare and who needs all those things, because all I need are my gunz!!!​

fatbastard repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Miller

Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you listen to the video, they are reading the 9.5 theses. The video is 3.15min

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That says it all. The invisible hand insists upon immigrants. There's no way to stop that via the marketplace, only a government solution (strict, enforced regulations, with the result of raising meat prices across the country) would get the job done.

So the GOP must choose between its dislike of immigrants and its dislike of government. It seems that government is the greater evil of the two, as far as it is concerned. OK that's a bit fake, the rank and file might well think immigrants are worse, but they don't understand the issue. And the Republican who do get it are all about money, and generally don't have a big problem with immigrants, that is just rube stroking for votes.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is going to trigger some vegetarians John.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And while the Carnivore diet is trending, most Americans are omnivores.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    John's old school, so he's employing a version of the Fairness Doctrine. Yesterday he triggered a Trump supporter, so today he's trolling vegans.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Am grilling one of the fattest steaks I have ever seen at this very moment.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1. ******** the mackerel snappers.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So just like the original, only 1/10th as long?

superdave repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must hate immigrants and hate this planet.

You need to eat smart...

[​IMG]

I believe they are recommended by @roby