The U.S. Immigration Catch-All Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    1953-ish?

1942, if we're looking at similarities.

crazypete13 repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a bit of whataboutism to this, no offense.

"We did bad things in the past" can easily become "so don't make such a big deal about the new bad things we're doing in the present."

Not saying you meant that, but your answer seemed oddly Chomsky-esque.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That ********ing word needs to die.

Yes we did, and it informs the present in many ways. But mostly I was both making a smartass (but accurate) remark in response to a not-all-that-rhetorical question and trying to temper the ZOMG, unprecedented! aspect of this. Which isn't even the case this decade, really. The breathlessness isn't helping convince anyone who isn't already convinced that the US should change course.

It's more Horton-esque. Overlap is merely coincidental, but broken clocks, etc.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When people stop saying "impactful" I'll drop that one.

I think the deliberate, calculated cruelty of the policy--in lieu of any real-world threat or concrete desired policy outcome--is still noteworthy.

Who?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kobach got rich getting small towns to pass unconstitutional ordinances and then defending them in court.

I feel like Marlon Brando describing when the VC cut off the inoculated arms of Vietnamese children.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Let me guess: Small rural towns that voted mostly GOP.

******** them all with a hot iron.

Also:

El Naranja repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2007 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    How Trump Radicalized Ice. He discusses a small population of Mauritanians who fled persecution in their homeland and established a community in Columbus, OH. Now they live in constant fear of deportation.

ICE could ride again in the Trump era:

But one segment of the deep state stepped forward early and openly to profess its enthusiasm for Trump. Through their union, employees of ice endorsed Trump’s candidacy in September 2016, the first time the organization had ever lent its support to a presidential contender. When Trump prevailed in the election, the soon-to-be-named head of ice triumphantly declared that it would finally have the backing of a president who would let the agency do its job. He’s “taking the handcuffs off,” said Thomas Homan, who served as ice’s acting director under Trump until his retirement in June, using a phrase that has become a common trope within the agency. “When Trump won, [some officers] thumped their chest as if they had just won the Super Bowl,” a former ice official told me.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/trump-ice/565772/

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is the Immigration Catch-All Thread, eh?

OK, here you go:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Separated from their parents, no less.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Judge tells Sessions he'll hold him in contempt for removing a mother & child in the middle of an appeal hearing.

BTW - contribute to the ACLU if you can. They're doing all the grunt work to thwart this f#ckhead administration's illegal policies.

A federal judge on Thursday threatened to hold Attorney General Jeff Sessions in contempt after discovering that the Trump administration attempted to transfer a woman and her daughter out of the country while an appeal hearing for their deportation was underway.

U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan granted a request from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) for an emergency order to halt the expedited removal of immigrants seeking asylum from domestic abuse and gang violence after he learned the government had put a plaintiff in the case and her daughter on a flight to Central America.

http://thehill.com/latino/401128-ju...ntempt-after-attempted-deportation-of-migrant

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the prod. The ACLU is one of the few groups that can be relied on to attempt to preserve democracy, always, under any regime. I will write it a check today.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Immigrant Latinos (and non-Latinos) help social security (those that do not get paid cash) they pay into the system with fake social security numbers and if they do not become citizens they do not collect retirement.

Now if there were some type of long term temporary work visas (say 10-20 years) then perhaps retirement contributions could go toward a private (or to their home country retirement fund) that they can collect when they return.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jefferson Beauregard Sessions' DoJ is doing God's work, by keeping us safe from... [check notes] four-year-olds adopted by US citizens:

https://kdvr.com/2018/08/09/colorad...d-four-year-old-daughter-from-being-deported/

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 4, she’s not part of a sleeper cell. More of a nap time cell.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait wht is the 4 year old not a citizen, did the adoptive parents forget to fill out the paperwork?

According to the story they have the adoption papers completed but their case was denied.

17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I know someone from work back in the day in a similar SNAFU. He was on secondment to Moscow. He and (non US citizen) his wife (couldn't have kids) adopted. They had her for about a year when he was supposed to return but they couldn't bring her back to the US because for some reason her permanent residency status didn't go through. Citizenship isn't automatic for an adopted child, so you can't just "bring them in". He wound up taking another assignment to Frankfurt for two more years.

Once she was legally theirs for a certain period. I forget what it was...something like 2 or 3 years, she is automatically granted citizenship and they could all come back to the US as a family.

From the story, the kid's adoption was only finalized about 16 months ago, so she's not eligible for citizenship yet. I'm not sure of the reason why there is a 2-3 year lag before you can get citizenship, but my guess is that some of these kids who come from pretty traumatic situations get "de-adopted" due to developmental/physical/behavioral issues the adoptive parents can't deal with. I know another family in this boat with a US adopted son. They've literally spent about 50K a year giving him the best possible therapy, educational exposure, etc to give him the best chance possible to be a functioning adult. But they're also rich as hell.

Some intl agencies, as part of the process, put in place stipulations where they can place the child with someone else (sort of like a de-adoption) if little Susie tries to kill the family pet. If you don't have this sort of agreement in place with the orphanage/agency and the kid's background is deemed "high risk" then the govt doesn't want to make the kid a citizen because then they'd be "on the hook" for possibly raising a kid you brought into the country.

ceezmad repped this.
  18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think the problem might be that they were physically living in Peru at the time of the adoption.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also want protection for the kids, you do not want people from rich countries just going around poor 3rd world countries "adopting" children with out any checks.

It seems that they went around the system since they did not want to wait out the paperwork (understandable as parents), but that may bite them in the ass.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This seems to fit a pattern:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/08/stephen-miller-refugees-state-department

Before Trump took office, the Population, Refugee, and Migration Bureau at the State Department enjoyed sustained bipartisan support on Capitol Hill. “This was a fine-tuned machine, it was people that had worked together for decades,” said Robinson, who also served as the deputy assistant secretary of state in the refugee bureau. “They are the experts on refugee issues—not just resettlement.” Under the current administration, however, refugee issues have become a lightning rod. Current and former officials described P.R.M. to me as a bureau under siege, with beleaguered staffers trying their best to stay professional and keep their heads down—not always with success. Since January 20, the majority of the bureau’s top talent has been ousted or left.

It remains an open question whether P.R.M. will survive at all, in its current form. According to current and former officials, Mark Green, the head of the U.S. Agency for International Development, is pushing to move overseas humanitarian-assistance programs out of Foggy Bottom—taking a hunk of the bureau’s roughly $3.4 billion budget with it. Advocates of the move argue that it would be more cost effective, while critics posit that it will further marginalize refugee issues and effectively kill the P.R.M. (The spokesperson for State said the department and USAID “are working together to develop a proposal to optimize U.S. diplomacy and assistance to displaced people around the world,” but no recommendations have been finalized.) “What principally concerns me is that we’ve gotten to the point where the U.S. government is so anti-refugee that even a bureau with the word ‘refugee’ in its name has to disappear?” Eric Schwartz, the president of Refugees International and former assistant secretary of state of the refugee bureau, told me. “What a sad commentary on where we are right now.”

Worse, from the perspective of Foggy Bottom, there are few senior Trump officials willing to defend the program. Secretary Mike Pompeo, unlike his predecessor, has not said much about P.R.M. “I do think that he is going to bat for the institution as a whole. But in terms of standing up to the White House on particular issues, on particular policy issues, I haven’t seen evidence of that so far,” one current State Department official told me. Nikki Haley, who was initially thought of as a potential torchbearer for refugee issues as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, has drawn criticism from refugee advocates over her support of a measure to put a hold on U.N. Relief and Works Agency funding for Palestinian refugees. “Across the board with this administration there has been no profile in courage on refugee issues,” the former official who worked on refugee issues told me. “Why would anyone cross Miller?”

It is now Miller’s government, after all. The president and his senior adviser for policy are fully aligned in their vision of an America Dream in which immigrants, refugees and asylum-seekers are largely excluded. It is no surprise that the two men would seek to recalibrate the bureaucratic systems at their control to grind resettlements to a halt. Perhaps Miller’s greatest achievement, however, is how he has managed to project his influence largely from the shadows, deploying ideological apostles to do his dirty work. “He wants to be able to put it out there, speak for the president, not have his fingerprints on it, not risk his own political future, not get out ahead of the boss but be able to use his anonymity to put forward these extreme views and cast them as the president’s,” said the former official who worked on refugee affairs. “He has just been a master operator on that front. His name hasn’t been on anything. He is working behind the scenes, he has planted all of his people in all of these positions, he is on the phone with them all of the time, and he is creating a side operation that will circumvent the normal, transparent policy process.” Miller will succeed, the former official continued, “and there won’t really even be a paper trail.”

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    For sure.

They probably needed to get the ball rolling on certain things before the adoption was finalized to secure residency status for the kid. Or they found her at an orphanage who primarily deals with domestic adoption in Peru who didn't know how to handle the prospect of naturalization for the kid. It's not so much they were living there when they adopted her. Rather because they were living there, they opened themselves up to a pool of prospective orphanages they never would have been able to use had they been conducting this search from their living room in the States.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It very much does fit a pattern. Under Trump, every part of the United States is us vs. them. Trumpism means having enemies and hounding them. If the enemies do not exist, they must be created.

That is why I have contempt for Trump voters. It has nothing to do with policies. Trump doesn't even care about policies, so spare me that. It is because they support Trump because he is nasty and venal. Not in spite of ... but because. There is no Trumpism without the desire to hurt and humiliate.

raza_rebel, M, Q*bert Jones III and 2 others repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I have some ideas for the re-education camps. The pawn shop scene from Pulp Fiction comes to mind for the nastier ones. :D

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just don’t tape it, OK?

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe she should run as a republican.

Michigan Lawmaker Apologizes For Racial Slurs Against Asian Opponent

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-lawmaker-under-fire-alleged-212913885.html