The U.S. Immigration Catch-All Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zuma is a very shitty character, but at least on this he is quoted as saying;

That is better than what Trump peddles.

Dr. Wankler and American Brummie repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They took our jobs.

luftmensch repped this.
  3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont understand the point of this except as a show of force and/or test case. They can already find out if their suspect is on the plane beforehand. They also know what they look like.

What a shit show

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Republicans’ views of a border wall, proximity to Mexico matters

No theorizing in the article as to why this might be the case, but the obvious (to me) answer is that people who are more likely to come into close contact with Mexican immigrants are less likely to buy into the fear-mongering than those who are more isolated from them do.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fyp

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, that the people who actually live within a day's drive of the border are familiar enough with the general area and terrain to know how ludicrous the whole idea is. And Mexico ain't gonna pay for it, all the people who won't be gettign Obamacare any more will. Gotta keep Merica safe!

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely that too.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a little from column A, a little from column B, a little from column C, and so on.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/jud...ause-sanctuary-policy/dHWeSUd7nyp0XPJ6HcW8NP/

This is pretty ********ed up. I'm sure that federalism-crazed conservatives will be outraged at this federal overreach.

Or not.

"Federal agents privately alerted two magistrate judges in late January that they would be targeting the Austin area for a major operation and that the sting was retribution for a new policy by Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez that dramatically limited her cooperation with them, according to one of the judges.

The revelation — made Monday in open court by U.S. Magistrate Judge Andrew Austin — conflicts with what Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials told local leaders after the sweep, when ICE characterized the operation as routine and said the Austin area was not being targeted."

I know it's bit of he said, other he said...but you've got a Judge saying this in court. I'd be pretty shocked if he was the one lying.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When you vote for the guy who vowed to deport your husband....

[​IMG]

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/indiana-restaurant-owner-deported-friday-116463/

Meeting with his family and friends at his business, Eddie’s Steak Shed, in the town of Granger, I am struck by many things: the tenderness of his wife’s love for him, the innocence of his four American children (especially the teenage daughters who are now being taunted at school over his case), the loyalty of his 20 employees, and the pride and affection of his gathered friends and acquaintances as they rally to show their support.

But most striking of all is how many of the people now sticking up for Roberto are politically conservative. These are small-town Indiana residents, veterans and grandparents who come to his restaurant after Mass or Rotary. They vigorously defend him as a man they are proud to call a friend. And the more I think about it, the more clearly it is consistent with their conservative values that they stand up for Roberto.

During an interview earlier this month, Helen said she voted for President Donald Trump because she supports his immigration policies. She said criminals should be deported, but she didn’t think her husband would face that fate.

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked,” Helen said.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston is a great city with a decent soccer scene thanks to the Battery.

Dr. Wankler and raza_rebel repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She might be the biggest shit-fer-brains on the planet. Feel bad for Roberto & the family. But she should be deported to some random Mexican backwater to fend for herself. Roberto obviously provides value to his family & community.

And F the Trumpites of his area that voted for this asshole & are now surprised a friend is getting F'd by policies they wholeheartedly endorsed. Elections have intended & unintended consequences.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nahhh... That's too good for her... She should be chained to the fence, not allowed to leave but neither to come back after she married one of those dirty brown people..

On a related note, I wonder if any Frenchmen received Hitler with open arms, or said that he was just as bad as Lebrun (I'm sure that there were a few). I also wonder what happened to those people. I'll gladly opt for the same treatment here once we get rid of the Orange madman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pursuit_of_Nazi_collaborators#France

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm already tired of all this winning.

http://fusion.net/milk-lobby-says-immigration-raids-on-dairy-farms-could-1794424350

A dairy industry lobbyist warned at a conference in Washington last week that if immigration raids hit milk farms, the price of a gallon of milk could soar to $8.

Jaime Castaneda, a senior vice president at the National Milk Producers Federation, made the comments at the Consumer Federation of America’s National Food Policy Conference last week, according to Hoosier Ag Today.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the current average price of a gallon of milk is about $3.31. The price of milk has actually remained pretty steady for the last decade, but that could change if the new president allows his immigration crackdown to extend to dairy farms.

http://fusion.net/mexican-tourists-dont-want-to-come-to-the-u-s-now-for-1794386896

According to the Los Angeles Times, which cites an estimate from the global research firm Tourism Economics, visits from Mexico to the U.S. are expected to go down 7% this year compared to last year. That’s 1.8 million “lost visits,” totaling $1.1 billion in “direct economic losses.”

“Cesar Romero, the president of GMA, a group of travel associations, said he’s been told by his colleagues that there’s been a 15% to 20% decrease in interest in travel to the U.S. since Trump took office in January,” the paper reported.

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    WTF is the matter with Oaklahoma?

Oklahoma Republicans Suggest Handing 82,000 Non-English Speaking Kids Over To ICE
    “Identify them and then turn them over to ICE.”

By Sebastian Murdock
    [​IMG]
    OKLAHOMA HOUSE
    Oklahoma Rep. Mike Ritze is part of a new caucus in the Oklahoma House that represents about a third of its Republican members.

A newly formed Republican caucus in the Oklahoma House is on board with a budget plan that would see more than 80,000 children who don’t speak English handed over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

The plan, outlined by Rep. Mike Ritze, would let ICE officials question about 82,000 schoolchildren to determine if they are citizens, according to The Associated Press.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How Christian of them...

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A female judge has ordered Trump to turn over the memo Giuliani wrote supporting the Muslim ban.

I wonder if Trump will go on a twitter rage about this?

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is she from the 9th something?

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a
    "Let's all laugh at Oklahoma" thread for a reason

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy ecnomic slowdown, Batman! I hope he's joking...

22. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping for another anecdote.

BF and I attended the wedding of two of our soccer teammates over the weekend. The groom's a handsome, charismatic white American guy in his mid 30s who comes from a pretty well-off family and has his own very well-paying job on top of the family money. The bride's a lovely, tiny, brave Colombian woman who came to the United States a couple of years ago with minimal English skills to be an au pair and is now fluent and flourishing with tons of friends.

Her twin sister was denied a visa to come to the US for the wedding. Not because she has a criminal record or drug cartel ties or is a terrorist. No, she couldn't show that she had enough money to "support herself" while in the country.

I'm feeling especially bitter about any proposed "increased vetting" of immigrants today.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Going through a similar situation with my GF. Also a "a handsome, charismatic white American guy in his mid 30s who comes from a pretty well-off family and has his own very well-paying job on top of the family money" (/sarcasm aside,) I am dating someone who is Brazilian and came to the U.S. as an au pair. 3 year limit in that role she said, but she nannies fulltime, busts her ass (60 hour weeks sometimes) and speaks decent/good English, yet is going to essentially sent back to Brazil in June. She claims she cant return to Brazil to visit and gain re-entry in the meantime, and her family has a very tough time visiting (thank god for video skype).
    Part of the reason I am tough on illegal immigration is the frustuation of those who try to follow the system and jump through hoops get screwed, while illegals seemingly get turned a blind eye. This is why I am for revamping the immigration system to enforce the rules, but changing them to ease the requirements to immigrate legally to encourage a more sensible process.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Poor Becky. BigSoccer needs a variety of emoticons for "Rep"

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's probably a decent chance for Raleigh or Charlotte. South Carolina is different enough that the two ought not be considered a pair.

Lol... soccer can't save Charleston. It's always gonna be an Old South malignancy.