The U.S. Immigration Catch-All Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Apr 23, 2010.

1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually, you are wrong:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/te...tes-to-children-of-undocumented-women-7597300

One mother, who delivered a daughter at a McAllen hospital this past March, asked workers at the local vital statistics office why birth certificates had become so difficult to obtain. The worker “responded that since 2014-2015 the requirements had become stricter to prevent undocumented persons from obtaining status through their U.S. citizen children,” the lawsuit alleges. When another undocumented woman tried to get a birth certificate for her son, the state worker “threatened to report her to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.”

Auriaprottu and soccernutter repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue seems to be the prior, that a child is being born in the US but unable to receive the birth certificate.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I see a parallel to the Kim Davis case: local authorities taking steps that are out of their sphere of competence. the citizenship of babies born on US soil is a constitutional issue. trying to deny them that birthright by refusing to issue birth certificates, something they are almost certainly required to do by laws also beyond their discretion, is a clumsy attempt to circumvent the constitution.

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it was hard to believe, not that it didn't happen. There is no excuse for hospital employees to deny a birth certificate for child born in their hospital -- none.

So it's not about being wrong. It's about something happening that is, as I said, hard to believe.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1830 dapip, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    I don't believe a lot of children are born outside hospitals in the US, regardless of their legal status. I could google the stats and post them. But would that affect your beliefs?

Edit: I googled it and guess what?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445299335.259203.jpg

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but if you zoomed in I'll bet you'd find that 90% of even those cases are either emergency deliveries of people on the way to the hospital or alternative births assisted by doctors or midwives with both pre and post natal hospital visits. so the actual cases where even a shred of (easily dispelled) doubt exists is almost zero.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Point being that most children of illegal immigrants are born in hospitals, hence roadkit's beliefs are certifiably wrong and Texas DOH behavior is appalling, no way to defend them..

But you are correct, I don't recall the statistics but it was something like 50% of out of hospital births have complications that lead to the mother and infant ending up in the hospital anyways...

soccernutter repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Link? I'm almost certain you're completely full of shit here. The prelim research suggests that, particularly for second-time or higher mothers, it's actually LESS safe to be in a hospital.

crazypete13 repped this.
  9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what the statistics are, but my experience working in the Latino community is that it's quite common for families of immigrants to use midwives (parteras, as we call them) who go to people's homes to deliver the child, rather than going to deliver to the hospital.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is racist, how about the illegal yellows, browns (M.E./India) and blacks? why don't they get amnesty?

:p

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you people all look the same to them

dapip repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it isn't fair if they deport me to England. What am I gonna do, I can't even speak the language!

dapip repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccer is a universal language.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #1841 guignol, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    image.jpeg
    it's a simple pleasure.

sXeWesley, russ, THOMA GOL and 2 others repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not baby factories after all.

http://www.economist.com/news/inter...th-rates-generally-believed-fecund-foreigners

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha...and yet I still don't see the merits of building a brand new soccer stadium in exchange for green cards.
    sigh...

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The rich Chinese investors will get American green cards...and ManU season tickets. :p

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Questions is how did get his post....

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ses-become-public-thanks-judges-insane-order/

A federal judge with a history of anti-immigrant sentiment ordered the federal government to turn over the names, addresses and “all available contact information” of over 100,000 immigrants living within the United States. He does so in a strange order that quotes extensively from movie scripts and that alleges a conspiracy of attorneys “somewhere in the halls of the Justice Department whose identities are unknown to this Court.”

/quote

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a shame it's come to this. Here is some advice for immigrants, given recent developments:

If you are a green card holder (lawful permanent resident) outside of the U.S. please reach out to an immigration attorney before you travel back to the U.S.

If you do plan to travel back to the US, you should fill out a USCIS G-28 form first that officially appoints an attorney to represent you in immigration situations and have that completed form with you as you board your flight.

The refugee program is being halted immediately, for at least 120 days. This will mean that anyone, anywhere in the process, will not move forward. The effort to resettle Syrian refugees in the U.S. is being halted indefinitely.

Other info:

If you are non-citizen, even green card holder (lawful permanent residents), from one of the seven countries named, and you are ALREADY INSIDE the U.S., plan to DELAY all international travel for at least 90 days.

IF YOU LEAVE YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE DENIED RE-ENTRY.

If you are a non-citizen from one of the seven countries named, and you are OUTSIDE of the U.S., you will face issues at the airport upon attempting to re-enter the US.

IF YOU ARE ASKED TO SIGN AN I-407 AT THE AIRPORT OR BORDER DO NOT SIGN IT, ASK FOR THE SUPERVISOR WHO HANDLES LPR ADMISSIONS. If you sign it, you will be giving up your green card.

Whether you are a citizen or not, do not permit law enforcement to enter your home without a warrant. Even if they have a warrant, you should consult with an attorney before speaking to them. Get copies of business cards of all law enforcement officials. (IF YOU CAN. This is not an option for many]

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fvck that is very important information that needs to be shared.