The Two Escobars - documentary

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by Scotty, May 4, 2010.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    1 person likes this.
  2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: The Two Escobars - documentary the LIES

I stopped reading the link - as they made a connection to Andres' death for scoring a goal on his own net 1994!!!!

BIG LIE in soccer trivia of all the WCs combined.

He was shot by the body guard of a small drug dealer....after a nasty argument and threats from BOTH drunks......At a bar/restaurant that is visited after party hours, you can get a soup to bring down your drinks, keep on drinking or buy drugs in the parking lot from the kids that help you find parking spaces.

Andres was in his bacherlor night-party with couple of 'prostitutas' and 2 drinking buddies....HAD NO BUSINESS in that nasty bar, IN DAYS OF TENSIONS AND JOKES TOWARDS his guffy goal in a city that was bad news after midnight!!

vanityfair....get your shittte together!:mad:
    and ESPN....has nothing to do during WC hrs in the mid-june days....? sensacionalism at it best

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    While I think that the title implies a link that did not exist (at least not directly), the rest of the brieffing is about right....

Or are you going to deny the part of 3 of the biggest drug dealers in the destinies of the 3 biggest club from Colombia?

And again, while the fact that the murder was just the result of a drunk fight does not changes the fact that Colombia was (still is) ridden by violence and that drug lords (even small fishes) committed too many unpunished crimes.

But don't tell efer that there are bad things going on in the world, he prefers the rosy picture painted by political advertising... Oh on second tought, scratch that; the tactics have changed to difamation and anonymous attacks... go figure...

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yo solo quiero acalar que la muerte de Andres no se debio al gol ese

lo demas es muy posible.

SOLO QUIERO MENCIONAR EL TEMA DE ANDRES......QUE USAN ESTOS LOKOS DE LA PRENSA, para lograr un documental en medio de WC, echandole tierra a colombia y un pasado que queremos olvidar muchos que vivimos la guerra de esos dias, en las calles y parqueaderos de Medallo

5. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA
    ESPN Documentary - Two Escobars

Did anybody see the documentary last night about Andres & Pablo Escobar? I was 14 during the 94 WC and this team was it for me. Asprilla, El Pibe, Rincon...I always wondered what happened to that team. I remember hearing rumors about Asprilla fighting with Pibe and el Tren, about how they had huge heads and were overconfident, and even that Pacho messed up by not scouting the teams. Watching the documentary and hearing from their own mouths what happened was unbelievable and sobering. What they went through was crazy. I had no idea about Chonto's brother, his son being kidnapped. And to see the effect that Higuita's exclusion from the team had because of the way that the government was trying to use the National Team was disappointing. Needless to say that Andres' murder was sad and it is scary how similar the Cabanas incident is to that.

6. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: ESPN Documentary - Two Escobars

Yeah i saw it, wasn't aware of Chonto's issues either. The rest of it i already knew or had heard about, its like opening up old wounds.

7. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

Good point on opening up old wounds. I had a discussion yesterday with an American here in New Jersey. I refused to watch this documentary because I am sick of the fascination that Americans have with Colombia's violent culture. The director is another Ivy League "academic" helping get the "word" out on Colombian history. How original, he picks the drug war and makes our futbol history even darker by forcing us to relive the pain of yesteryear.

He'll prob. win some award along with his co-director, some kid who studied at Tisch. I swear, sometimes I question why we let ourselves produce such stupid narco-entertainment like muniecas de la mafia and then complain when these "artists" expose more and more drug stories about our country. Some of you may disagree, but can we have another media topic besides drugs? Can we?

1 person likes this.
  8. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA

Its part of our history, IMO. It happened and we survived. With scars but we're still here. And the glory years go hand in hand with the gory years. With all that happened I am still a proud Colombian...even more today. Its like looking back at our own awkward teenage years. It was tough, there were good times and bad times. The good times were great and the bad times were horrendous but we lived through history.

9. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I finally saw the movie, and wow...it was so sad....brings up pain and as well anger...........

LGRod repped this.
  10. rickumali

rickumali Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just watched the documentary tonight. It was a very well done. I can appreciate that maybe Colombians don't want to relive it. I found a post here on BigSoccer that suggests a less complex though still tragic ending.

In 1994 I was proud that the US was hosting the grandest competition in the world. The turmoil of Colombia and the pressure on the Colombian coaches and players were largely lost on me. Pereira_17 phrased it best: "The glory and the gory". Yes, I knew the US were underdogs to the Colombians, but the montage showing the fluid play from the Colombia national team leading to the WC showed me why. Yes, I had heard of Pablo Escobar, but I didn't know just how dominant he was. And yes, I celebrated that own-goal in 1994, but I had no idea of the heartbreak that followed for Andrés Escobar and his family, and his country.

I learned a lot, and that's pretty much what you want out of a documentary.

11. Quick Kick

Quick Kick Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Miami, FL
    I was 15 during that world cup and remember how much hope I had in that team. All of my futbol heros were on that team and they gave me a huge sense of pride during a difficult time in Colombia.

As, for the doc I thought it was well done and particularly liked the way they let the main actors in the story tell their accounts. Of course nobody likes to rehash old wounds, but it's our history and we need to know where we've been so we don't make the same mistakes.

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    uyyy parcero donde estaba metido?

se habia olvidado la contrasen`a o K?

13. Quick Kick

Quick Kick Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Miami, FL
    Lol it's been a while

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I need your help's in DIM sub-forum

I lost the other 3 regulars lately:eek:

WELCOME BACK

15. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I'm American and a futbol fanatic. Efer can attest to that.:D I thought it was a great documentary, but what pissed me off, was at the end it said since 1994 Colombia hasn't made it to the WC. Idiots!! They made it to the 1998 WC in France. Someone obviously didn't do their homework on that part.

LGRod repped this.
  16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    un saludo al muneco
    y bump para metrochi

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

i was 15 during the 1994 World cup and visiting medellin that summer. as an american born colombian, it was not a fun time to visit medellin. i specifically remember refusing to leave my uncle's place after the USA game b/c i was nervous about getting jacked up for essentially being a gringo. when that game between usa-colombia ended i remember hearing gun shots and windows being broken and a lot of noise on the streets. people were pissed. and then just a few weeks later when i heard about escobar getting killed in medellin - i went numb.

but to hear what was going on behind the scenes makes you truly understand that people like us only know so much of what actually goes on aside from what we see on TV, read online or on these message boards...something that many soccer and sports fans in general just never seem to understand...

i missed the beginning and end of the documentary but old memories quickly resurfaced when watching the film...

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its on youtube and [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Mu5P-q4n8&feature=related"]its really good[/ame]

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Saw it the other day: real interesting stuff and eye-opening, too.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Yea tho it kind of alludes to that if Escobar was alive they wouldn't have killed Andres, and the NT would have done better as they wouldn't have been threatened during the tourny.

I was like 3 when the tournie happened I went to games with my dad but don't remember any of it other than him saying we had the best team of all time but they were a bunch of drunk druggies:D, am going to have to make him watch it

Also the movie kind of painted Pablo as a great guy, was kind of sad when he died.

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

(Unfortunately) to many people he was good, namely the poor in Medellín. Right?

22. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    i think its just a documentary

everyone and anyone will interpert it how they want

To me I thought it the documentary described Andres' death as a bar fight, started by a drunk who made a comment about the goal to irritate and insult Andres. Andres' death wasnt caused by the autogol but by being in a dangerous place.

Colombia wasnt the safest place at that time. I thought it showed that in this piece.

But I have always thought (unfortunately) that the drug cartels had a big hand in Colombian football's golden era.

For one life was dangerous in Colombia and many used football as a distraction from the violence which that alone may have contributed to the budding of talent. But also the cartels funded some of the big clubs.
    namely America de Cali and Alt Nacional.

In that way I thought they went hand in hand and the death of each Escobar, i felt at least, is what the documentary painted as and ironic end the the glory years of both institutions, the drug cartels and football, both of which sadly Colombia is known for.

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    that is the most important issue of the whole deal!!!

true part of the story

24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia