The Trump Presidency VI: Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ismitje, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe there will be a horrendous terrorist attack in early November forcing Trump to cancel the elections and declare martial law.

Or maybe he'll learn the Russians are so good impacting elections that we cannot be assured the November elections will be free and fair. As such the mid-term elections will have to be delayed until their integrity can be assured.

So many possibilities to feed my cynicism.

Boandlkramer and dapip repped this.
  2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wish.... I'd clean shop real quick.

3. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Was American democracy dead when a large part of the country was essentially an apartheid state in which basic political and civil rights were routinely denied on the basis of race? Because that was the case not all that long ago, and I'd say it was worse than anything that's happening now.

Obviously, Trumpism is a thoroughly undemocratic phenomenon. It's also a type of authoritarianism that we aren't familiar with, and may seem more dramatic because of its exoticness. The narcissism, ignorance and buffoonery of a petty tyrant, the shameless and blatant self-enrichment of his cabinet and cronies, and the hiring of totally unqualified family members to high level positions - these are things that aren't supposed to happen in a developed country, and their presence in the White House seems a bit bizarre and surreal in comparison to the more dignified authoritarianism of, say, Dick Cheney.

All the same, undemocratic currents have run deeply in the veins of American government for most of the country's history. Fatalism about these most recent departures from democratic ideals seems unjustified. Unless Trump starts a nuclear war or something, we'll get over it.

If the Democrats win a house of Congress, that's probably the de facto end of the Trump presidency. If they don't win in 2018, a scenario where Trump wins reelection in 2020 still seems unlikely to me (barring a truly awful Democratic nominee). Even if the economy is good, are people really going to vote to subject us all to four more years of the ongoing absurdity and moral disgrace, and roll the dice that Trump can go four more years without causing a major disaster?

I'm dubious. Long term authoritarian projects need a firmer foundation than whatever the Trump freakshow is currently constructing.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which... This becomes a “How to kill your guaranteed $100k+ job in two days or less”. Home boy went from unopposed, to opposed, to primaried, to out of the race within 48 hours.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/16/house-candidate-who-insulted-florida-teens-drops-out-of-race/

mbar, InTheSun and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    There are many possible future scenarios that are worth worrying about. These are not among them.

I mean, if there was actually a national catastrophe big enough that Trump could use it to cancel elections, declare martial law, and get away with it - then I'd be a lot more worried about the effect of said catastrophe itself than about any hypothetical Trump administration response to it.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am not as confident as you

Sounders78 repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Democracy will take a dramatic turn for the better if the Democrats win the House in November. That should be a goal that all non-Republicans support, as well as every Republican who values her country over party politics.

At some point, the American people will need to say No, or accept that the rule of law will be disappearing.

M, dapip, charlie15 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It is a tribute to the twin powers of Fox and misogyny that Donald Trump can spend his life taking down people who are just doing their jobs, because they are in his way and he is vindictive, that Hillary Clinton has rarely if ever done that, and that tens of millions of Americans believe the opposite is true.

soccernutter, M, onefineesq and 4 others repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Finally Cambridge Analytica group of companies gets busted for obvious misuse of data

bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Let's not exaggerate. There are fundamental differences between the US and countries like Turkey and Hungary. First of all our institutions are more deeply established. And we're not a homogenous country so it's impossible to really dominate public opinion.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet about the demise of the country. These people have zeal, but not a whole lot of competence. Incompetence has a way of rising to the surface one way or another. Some might say that what we're really seeing is the death of the Republican Party. And it's not about 2020. 2018 is much more important right now, and that is only 7 months away. For a group of people that supposedly are ending democracy, they sure found it hard to fix the recent election in a +11 Republican district. If they can't fix an election there, I can't imagine how they'll fix one in a purple district.

bigredfutbol and Ismitje repped this.
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So Michael Flynn was spotted campaigning for a Republican in California. Coincidence? Normally his lawyer would probably advise him not to do that. Expect his case to be thrown out within the next few days.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Brennan, not mincing words.....

spejic, sitruc, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No caption or comments needed......

Andrew McCabe reveals Trump was obsessed with his wife — bringing her up ‘every time I ever spoke to him
    In at last four occasions, Trump taunted him about it being a “mistake or “problem,” and called the man’s wife a “loser.” Trump even raised the issue with former FBI Director James Comey at one point, “Out of the blue,” he told CNN’s Pamela Brown Friday.

Trump would say things “like, ‘What’s wrong with that deputy director of yours?'” The comment implied that somehow McCabe was politically motivated against Trump, which McCabe said is “absolutely not true.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/an...ssed-wife-brought-wife-every-time-ever-spoke/

sitruc, Deadtigers, usscouse and 2 others repped this.
  15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict that in the next two months, both Mattis and Kelly will be gone, and then things will get really interesting.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    How long till he goes full American Psycho, steps out of his limo on 5th Ave and guns down a black guy (at random of course). "Hey - he was probably guilty of something, amirite?"

17. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    THAT is bricks through GOP office time.

[​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A great day for fascism! Another voice (potentially) smothered.

Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy. Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
    March 17, 2018

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You really think that will affect his standings with the GOP and his faithful?

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Months or weeks?

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He does not know how to handle a gun, I suspect.
    Don Jr. or Eric on the other hand....?

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is just beautiful.

usscouse repped this.
  23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Oh my. I hope that this is just the start of people speaking out and being heard.

xtomx repped this.
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The firings of Comey, McCabe, White House staff, and 'others' is the closest Trump can get. At the moment. To emulating Putin's poisoning, shooting, and strangling people who he perceives are against him.

Give him time.

sitruc and russ repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...The next move from El Douche.....

975008116805898240 is not a valid tweet id

usscouse repped this.