The Trump Presidency VI: Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ismitje, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think McCabe is going to fight back. I have no idea how much support he has inside the agency. I believe that he does have some bureaucratic resources at his disposal to get some due process in this firing.

The key for me here is to hear it directly from the inspector general Horowitz. Has he spoken publicly yet? I can't find anything online. This wouldn't be the first time the administration mischaracterized an official's recommendation.

Either way, the facts almost don't matter. The important thing to realize here is that the page has been turned. The GOP has been preparing for war for several weeks, and the offensive is starting. They're masters of weaponizing minutiae into full on political warfare.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4402 charlie15, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    This is simply revolting and repulsive..... It is clear that this is a politically influenced decision by the AG and the DOJ. I hope he gets a couple of good lawyers and go after the WH and administration and get his hard earned pension.

PS. Mc Cabe released a second (and blistering) statement.
    PS.2. An former special agent on CNN just said that she believes that the firing is nothing other than a move to discredit Mc Cabe as a witness in the Comey firing.

usscouse and sitruc repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Welcome to the United States of Russian America?

dapip repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It sounds like that is the way he's heading.

charlie15 repped this.
  5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  6. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What I think will be interesting to see is if any Republicans have any sense of decency left in them.

I doubt it.

xtomx, soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh crap!!

song219 repped this.
  8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Grooooooan...!

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read this somewhere......So true!

In what world should McCabe be punished and Arpaio be pardoned?

usscouse, sitruc, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my reaction exactly an hour ago. I wrote in my whatsapp politics group, "Small. Petty. Weak."

sitruc repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Republicans at the highest levels are orchestrating it. This is just their first play.

It was always naive to think that the GOP would just buckle. It's going to get much worse before it gets better.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Britain/Theresa May will figure it out.

usscouse repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sessions and...who? As long as Sessions still has a job. Which at this rate, might go to @bballshawn next week.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The McCabe firing was not GOP, it was 45. This was personal. Apart from a few, such as Nunez, I don't think even they would be this petty. Most of them are smart enough that letting McCabe retire looks better for them, and firing him early looks petty and vindictive, just as it is.

usscouse and charlie15 repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will he start getting snarky like Comey or stay above it?

I hope he talks to a very good labor law lawyer. Sure would like to see his employment contract. I doubt there is much that can be done, but you never know.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #4417 Boloni86, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    This was synchronized to Lindsay Graham and Chuck Grassley calling for a new investigation. This McCabe firing gives them some political capital to justify a new investigation. Also Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan releasing the Peter Strzok/Lisa Page texts.

A three pronged attack like this doesn't happen by coincidence.

17. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I've never seen anything like this. We're living in a banana republic.

18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nunes gave Trump and Republicans cover by declaring no collusion; that the Mueller investigation is effectively a witch hunt.

Trump is now continuing his assault on the FBI and intelligence community, actively or passively supported by Republicans.

Republicans have retreated so much they have lost the will to draw or defend a line in the sand. That's not good news for Mueller's investigation.

19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    But not the good kind of Banana Republic that sells clothes that fit me!

InTheSun, Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, they're still comparing him to King David or some bullshit like that.

21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't think the Propaganda Ministry can spare him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Each day gets more and more bizarre, but the more bizarre it becomes, the more frightening it actually is. Trump and his lot are going to take on the intelligence community. Not a wise move when you're always accused of being knee-deep in illegal shit, but OK. If this were a stable group headed by a stable leader, you'd think there was some play involved, but I'm finding it hard to see the endgame here for Trump and company. That's concerning to me because if the FBI suddenly starts going after Trump, and he feels threatened, Trump may panic and start a war somewhere, anywhere, just to deflect. The GOP need to reign this in now. It's not about being on the right side of history. It's about stabilizing the government and the intelligence community before the shit hits the fan and people start dying.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #4424 Boloni86, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    I think it's pretty clear that Trump has consolidated full power over American conservatism. The media that conservatives listen to has all coalesced around this warfare narrative. I listened to a good bit of Hannity's radio show today. Say what you will about Hannity ... he does have some well placed sources in the Trump camp. For the most part, Hannity has been accurate in narrating the Trump camp strategy. I'm not joking ... if you want to understand the GOP's next move, you need to listen to Hannity. They don't call it state media for nothing.

According to Hannity's sources, this is all part of a wider GOP offensive. The idea of lines in the sand is over. There is no sand. The entire party has coalesced firmly behind Trump. If there's anyone left with misgivings, they're going to quietly fade into retirement this fall. For any dissenters in the cabinet, they've mostly resigned or will resign soon.

I'm telling you. You have to listen to Trump media to understand where we're headed. We constantly get surprised because we constantly underestimate how zealous these people are. The one good thing about the Trump era is that Republicans have stopped being shy. They don't pussy foot around their intentions. It's been made very clear that they will destroy the FBI before they let it take this administration down.

Personally I think they waited too long. They gave Mueller too much time to do his work. If the evidence collected up to this point is as strong as it looks, it's too late to kill it. Too many agents know the truth and everything will get leaked anyways. The truth will find a way of coming out.

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not surprised at all as I've long said I think American democracy is dead. We're just watching the dirt being thrown on the still-warm body. People can say "mid-term elections" until they're blue in the face; Republicans attacked and damaged the foundations of the institution - a mid-term election won't change that.

OK, things get leaked, and then what? Republicans suddenly grow a spine? Voters become outraged in 2020? It'll be too late. Putin is no fool.

usscouse, Q*bert Jones III and dapip repped this.