The Trump Presidency VI: Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ismitje, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was? In many ways that line of thinking is being used to great effect right now.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL

Well, yeah... fair point! :)

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I saw a great comment on the facebooks today. "If I saw my son hit another kid with a stick - I take away the stick."

xtomx repped this.
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So would Moscow Golden Showers get an X?

Piedraias and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Trump administration wants to let Sheldon Adelson pay for moving our embassy to Jerusalem.

sitruc repped this.
  6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more likely that McMaster is looking for a landing place. Trump could give a shit about it. About the only positions that would be seen as a step up are a COCOM or one of the top two spots in the Army or Joint Chiefs.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So what's the bet none of Drump's talk of money for hardened schools happens?

He will just talk shit for some weeks and do nothing

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And here I was going to call BS on this one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-sheldon-adelson-jerusalem-embassy/366223002/

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration is considering an offer from Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson to pay for at least part of a new U.S. embassy in Jerusalem, four U.S. officials told The Associated Press.

Lawyers at the State Department are looking into the legality of accepting private donations to cover some or all of the embassy costs, the administration officials said. The discussions are occurring as the new embassy clears its final bureaucratic hurdles. On Thursday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson ended weeks of delay by signing off on a security plan for moving the embassy from Tel Aviv to the holy city, according to the officials, who weren’t authorized to discuss the issue publicly and demanded anonymity.​

sitruc repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    rslfanboy, Auriaprottu, taosjohn and 4 others repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "The only thing that stops a bad kid with a stick, is a good kid with a stick"?!?
    NSA-National (Hitting Guys with) Sticks Association.

"The only thing stops a bad kid with a stick, is a good guy with a gun!"
    -Wayne LaPierre, NRA

Cris 09, Auriaprottu and NORML repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Looks like Gates is going to fold up after Mueller's wonderful schwerpunkt demonstration

I am puzzled the media is so insistent that this is all about getting Manfort to flip. Manfort can't flip except on Trump and I think we are nowhere near those days because Trump will pardon him first. But really I doubt Mueller needs Manafort. The destruction of Manafort is an end of itself which I think is unlikely to be bartered away.

Auriaprottu and xtomx repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump pardoning Manafort would be the worst thing that he can do.. For one, Manafort can no longer plead the fifth when under oath as he literally can't incriminate himself. As a result, Manafort can be compelled to testify against Trump truthfully and in full. For two, given one, if it turns out that Manafort has incriminating testimony against Trump and Trump pardoned him, Mueller has Trump on obstruction of justice and criminal conspiracy...

Trump's best course of action is to ride it out and hope that Manafort doesn't flip on him and/or something happens to Manafort before he can flip on him.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Gates is gone.

Pleading down.

Paulie walnuts is done now.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree but this is all down the track

Manafort won't flip and nor will Mueller offer any deal becuase he has gates

Manafort is going down bigly

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, man.. I get that Gates has a lot more reason to flip (young family, etc), but Manafort is looking at spending the rest of his life in prison.. I get that it is white collar prison, but it is still going to be a massive step down in lifestyle for Manafort and that has meaning to people.

It also depends on what Mueller is going after here.. If he is going after Trump, then flipping Manafort to testify on criminal activity by Trump could be worth it..

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That other choice though is having an encounter with a Russian assassin.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That sounds like pardoning Manafort would be the BEST thing Trump could do...best for the world, not so good for "the Donald."

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Considering for deep in debt Manafort is, it might be a step up to sleeping in the gutters.

NORML repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the counts is for making a false statement February 1. That was the same day the news broke about him and his legal team breaking up.

It sounds like he was working out a plea deal at the time and lied during that process. I don’t know how common that is but my rough guess is, pretty close to never.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Defo a strange one.

But it shows how "say nothing" often does not work in practice because if you are trying to convince the DOJ not to indict you for $30m in laundering you most likely will need to try to explain yourself.

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think he needs Manafort and I think Manafort is such a criminal that you can't give him a slap on the wrist.

Manafort is the tool by which Russia was hoping to influence Trump, so he has to go down if you are trying to clean house. You only give him a plea option if your only target is Trump, and Mueller isn't conducting a witch hunt.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please.. How many mobsters were let off the hook because they were willing to flip on their mob bosses? If FBI/DOJ can get a bigger fish, they are more than willing to let smaller fish off.

I would think that if he gives Mueller a plea deal it shows that he is going after more than just Trump. It has been rumored that Mueller is going after Trump's financials, which might indicate that Mueller is looking into the allegations that Trump has been laundering money for the Russian mafia. If Mueller can get Manafort to flip on Trump and that gives Mueller access to Trump's financials, he could then use that to go after the Russian mafia.. Not only that, but Manafort allegedly laundered money for Russia's intelligence services, if they can get Manafort's help on that front as well? Man, Mueller could go down in history as the man that took down a sitting US president and seriously damaged the intelligence operations of a hostile foreign country..

dapip repped this.
  24. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Manafort isn't an underling. He didn't do crimes that Trump is ultimately responsible for. He's the top (or at least a top). He's the American most responsible for allowing Russian influence to enter America.

If you want to be known as the second, then you have to punish people who are part of that. This is bigger than Trump.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You're forgetting...collusion is not a crime (is that what they're going with this week?)