The Trump Presidency VI: Stormy Weather

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ismitje, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If we want to keep this conversation reality based - its better to look at the actual law of countries concerned.

AFAIK - Facebook is indeed liable where it has actual knowledge of content posted but not otherwise.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...ponsible-for-defamation-on-facebook-1.3100797

2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes exactly.

A lot of these issues are completely up in the air - which is why regulation is a threat to them.

See for example Germany

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/30/15898386/germany-facebook-hate-speech-law-passed

IMO this kind of content could attract criminal penalties in germany

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also - knowledge of the content is imputed to FB once it gets reported.

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They trend the posts to people that have shown interest, not necessarily to everyone.

I do agree my analogy was poor. There is no good analogy.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes I would, if the city sold canvas and stood by as that canvas was used for libel. But cities don't sell canvas. If they did, they would surely monitor their use more carefully than Facebook does.

ceezmad and xtomx repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump is trying to find a landing place in the military for McMaster that won’t be embarrassing. A 4-star position. So Trump can replace him.

xtomx, Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My heart jumped for a moment, then I realized you weren't being literal.

ceezmad, dapip, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Drop him off at a NOW convention and see what happens. :thumbsup:

charlie15 repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If memory serves, (which it doesn't always but, there we are:(), he supported the peace talks and which continued the Vietnam war so he could say it hadn't ended when the election started, causing the deaths of thousands of young American servicemen in the process.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the city actively encouraged the graffiti (which FB clearly has done for a decade or more), monetized the graffiti and profitted off the graffiti...then yes I would.

There is no analogy, but Facebook is a business and should treated as such. That means being responsible (i.e., liable) for their "product."

dapip, ceezmad and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You mean like gun manufacturers?

soccernutter repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Music sharing platforms can also work as an analogy, they facilitated music sharing but they were not the owners of the pirated music, yet courts still found them liable of copy right laws violation.

Libel is a crime, but doesn't it have to be in purpose to be against the law?

Can they be charged for spreading libel even if they may not know if it qualifies as that?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I won't touch the legal issues, Every time I do I say something that is wrong!

roby repped this.
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The practice of defining people with no visible employment as criminals goes back to the time of the black death and continued up to the mid 1800's in the guise of various vagrancy acts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagrancy_(people)#United_Kingdom

In eighteenth century Britain, people suspected of vagrancy could be detained by the constable or watchman and brought before a magistrate who had the legal right to interview them to determine their status.[16] If declared vagrant, they were to be arrested, whipped, and physically expelled from the county by a vagrant contractor, whose job it was to take them to the edge of the county and pass them to the contractor for the next county on the journey.[17] This process would continue until the person reached his or her place of legal settlement, which was often but not always their place of birth.

In 1824, earlier vagrancy laws were consolidated in the Vagrancy Act 1824 (UK) whose main aim was removing undesirables from public view. The act assumed that homelessness was due to idleness and thus deliberate, and made it a criminal offence to engage in behaviours associated with extreme poverty. The Poor Law was the system for the provision of social security in operation in England and Wales from the 16th century until the establishment of the Welfare State in the 20th century.

When you're trying to pretend you have a decent society you don't want to have a load of poor people spoiling the conceit.

dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that the Black Code's vagrancy laws were not about employment or being poor ... they were about being Black. The vagrancy laws were pushed precisely so that Black people could be legally enslaved by plantation owners across the south. It wasn't like the people snatched up were being given hearings to determine their status to begin with, in the vast majority of cases. For goodness' sake, a war had recently been fought over the issue. Not quite the same thing as being sent home to your place of legal settlement (which I am sure was a disgusting practice in its own right).

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Drimpf wants to bring out a rating system for violent movies

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2593 xtomx, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Libel is NOT a crime, at least not in the United States.

Libel is a tort, that is civil wrong for which a remedy may be available. It is an intentional tort.

The tortfeasor (defendant in the lawsuit) must have published a false and defamatory written statement about the victim (plaintiff in the lawsuit), that was "harmful" to the victim.

I do not wish to get into the weeds on the subject, but there are four elements to the tort of Libel (or slander)

Elements of Libel
    •Written false and defamatory statement made by the defendant
    •Statement was of and concerning the plaintiff
    •Statement was publicized
    •(Usually) Damages have to be proved damages regarding the written defamatory statement made by the defendant

yossarian, ceezmad and dapip repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also a higher threshold to prove a case if it is a public person. So if someone trashes my reputation by lying about how crap I am at my job, and that gets me fired and makes it hard for me to get another job, I might have a case. If someone criticizes an elected official, the bar would be higher and they would have to prove a higher degree of malice.

xtomx repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish somebody could stop those idiots from using the otherwise very honorable name of "The Federalist" for their right-wing rag.

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was pretty amazing how out of touch and inane/insane that session was.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, that is absolutely the case!

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Awesome conclusion, with a connection to @The Jitty Slitter 's point...

So, what can America do to address its mass shooting epidemic? First, America needs to have a frank conversation with Hollywood about the gratuitous violence that routinely sweeps the silver screen. Today’s youth are exposed to a massive number of ever more realistic shooting scenes, and that needs to change.

Second, America’s leaders need to have a frank discussion with video game manufacturers as to the gratuitous level of violence and shootings in ever more realistic video games. Finally, Americans need to understand that mass shootings are a symptom of a cultural problem, not of the freedom to own a gun. If anything, Americans should be discussing prevalence of gratuitous violence in the culture, not how to implement stricter gun control laws. The country needs to stop its moral decay and return to a focus on well-functioning nuclear families.

In conclusion, I really do wish that gun control could work to resolve today’s terrorist bombings and other mass-killings. Sadly though, in this age, directions to create all kinds of deadly low-tech weapons of mass destruction are readily available on the internet. In the end, no matter where in the world I have been, gun control has not only failed to solve the problem of violence, but has also often created a so-called cure that sometimes turns out to be worse than the disease.

Bleeping bigsoccer won't let me quote @bigredfutbol , but yeah. I've read a few productively provocative pieces from the Federalist, but this is one just plain dumb.

24. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I was thinking the Murphy Brown reboot seemed outdated

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I get that. I was just saying that that type of thinking, (that people had an ''unacceptable' quality), was practised over several centuries and was used as a means to punish those society deemed unworthy in some way.