The Trump Presidency V: New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wrong. Donnie is a job creator, ipso facto Donnie is a leader. Better than any loser community organizer, I can tell you that right now.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    According to April Ryan, she didn't take the news very well. She went on a rampage of vulgarity and demanded to see the president. She was told by Kelly that the president already signed off on it. She then tried to sneak back into the residence and Kelly had her removed off the grounds. :ROFLMAO:

bigredfutbol and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, it took me to the start of the 4th paragraph to understand that this article was written by a man:

Franken’s offenses seem, at the very least, of a different kind than Harvey Weinstein’s, and the proper censure is far from clear.

Incorrect. The acts were different, but they both treated women as objects for their amusement, but this point seems to be different then the rest of the article...unless he is saying that Franken AND Moore should be in the Senate.

But I want to pull the camera back and highlight another feature of the debate, which Goldberg captured skillfully in her latest column, “Franken is leaving and Trump is still here,” and Dahlia Lithwick echoed in a piece in Slate called “The uneven playing field.”

I don't disagree with this, yet look at what we are seeing. There is a really a new wave of feminism at foot here. Sure, there is resistance by the status quo, and the old line of women not being believed, but over the past two or three years we have seen women come out against Cosbey, O' Rielly, Alies, and a re-examination of how we mishandled B Clinton, and a change from being skeptical of the stories by women to acceptance of the stories by women. There will always be doubt when popular, charismatic people like 45, or even Franken, have charges leveled against them - we, as a society, want to believe those people because of the positive belief we have in them (positive from our perspective) and, in general, we like to believe in people we feel we like. But what I have seen is that the group of people who tends to support women's issues more, and thus respects women's voices more, are the ones taking a greater stand when the events of sexual harassment (or worse) arise. The cleaning of house is necessary when this fight of ideology really gets going. The left, the supporters of women's voices, don't want somebody on their side to be "compromised" in the battle, and cause a distraction.

So now the left struggles with the dilemma of how to behave honorably under a set of rules and norms that their opponents do not acknowledge or accept.

I disagree. This is a case where the left is now setting the new norms, and the right is trying to fight against this change...and is losing. Yes, the Moore defeat was narrow in terms of numbers, but not when we look back at the recent Senatorial elections in Alabama, the Rep wins by a wide margin (Sessions ran uncontested in 2014, Shelby won 65/35 in 2010 and 65/28 in 2016). The norm is that have a males who disrespect women, and preys on them for their own pleasure, are not acceptable.

As far as the rest of the article, this reminds me a bit of the time of the early 1950s and the second Red Scare. There were lots of changes in the 1940s post WWII, but it happened to much, too fast for many, and there was a serious pull back and a ham handed attempt to stop those changes. To me, this is what is currently going on with the Reps, and ultimately they will fail. Unfortunately, we will suffer in the current situation, but what always wins in the end (politically) is the positive outcome.

That said, if the dems create a message of being better, it will be easier to attack interest groups. As far as gerrymander, that is more complicated and effected by demographic shifts.

American Brummie, Val1 and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed. 100%, it is demeaning to janitorial staffs.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So what did Omarosa do?

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's a people person. She spoke to the customers so the programmers didn't have to.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Don't look now but Trump's approval is at 36.6% which is tied to his presidential low point. He previously hit this number in early August.

Just a couple more days of bad polls and we'll have a new floor for Trump.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be a shame if Susan Collins and Jeff Flake started caring about the deficit again. Trump's polling would get much worse.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump and Co needed a black woman to oppress after Jones getting 98% of the black woman vote last night. Omarosa ticked those boxes, so she was on the receiving end of Trump's rage.

HerthaBerwyn, xtomx, ElJefe and 4 others repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but we're talking tenths of a percent. His numbers have been very stable for months now. Stable at a miserable 36-38%, but still pretty damned stable. I can't see him falling below the mid-30's, no matter what happens.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Her switch got flipped

41gpfWD5f+L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

14. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Well, she lasted 36 Scaramuccis. So she's got that going for her.:thumbsup:

Deadtigers, Kazuma, Ismitje and 16 others repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Her honorable highness!

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Shouldn't Susan Collins be voting down a bill that eliminates the individual mandate. Also, my company's Washington policy guy, who is usually correct about everything, claims that Corker can't vote Yes on this bill, because Corker wants to go into academia rather than be lobbyist, and somehow (this part I don't get) a Yes vote would signal insincerity based on what he previously has said, and would hurt his academic chances.

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corker has called for a tax plan that balances the budget. Intellectually (academically), if he votes for this, it is knowing that there will be a deficit so his intellectual claims will be void.

The Reps who should be against this are:
    Corker (no deficit)
    Collins (individual mandate)
    Murkowski (cuts to medicare/medicate/health care)
    Ron Johnson (small business taxes)

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There ya go, ABW!

onefineesq and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After three weeks with very little access to the interwebs, it's been hard to catch up, so sorry if this has been posted already. It's news to me.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetillman...ican-roadblock?utm_term=.ctZdp8vqL#.vxkjzRLN0

Apparently there is something of a floor to just how low the GOP will sink. Republicans in the Senate have said Hell, No to Trump's rather odious nominees to the federal judiciary: Brett Talley, who had no actual experience as a judge and once proclaimed the honor of the KKK, and Jeff Mateer, who claimed that transgender children were proof positive of Satan's master plan.

So, no Moore, no Talley, no Mateer. Today is a better day than it could have been.

Deadtigers, Ismitje, raza_rebel and 6 others repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was seconds away from posting the Slate article on this before watching The X-Files and popping a few brews.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ing-the-nominations-of-talley-and-mateer.html

The comclusiom

By smothering both Talley and Mateer’s nominations, Senate Republicans reminded the White House that they will not humiliate themselves in their quest to pack the courts with conservatives. They may rubber-stampmost of Trump’s picks, but they draw the line at unqualified ideologues whose witlessness makes headlines. That line may allow far too many dubious nominees to ascend to the federal bench. But it is encouraging to learn that a line even exists.​

Sadly encouraging, but encouraging a little bit.

Ismitje and bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #7221 MatthausSammer, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    If the economy goes into recession I could see Trump's floor fall out from under him and see him free fall. Until then 36-38% is likely his floor, and with the way this is going, likely his ceiling so long as he continues to screw up and embarrass himself. And who knows? If a lot of people see their taxes go up as a result of this tax cut bill passing, his numbers could take another hit. Realistically, the 36% floor is probably made up of a mix of "soft Trump" supporters who see themselves as aligned with Trump, are critical of the media criticizing Trump, and don't follow politics that much, just kind of shrug when Trump does something bad or something they disagree with, and "hard Trump" supporters who basically worship the guy and absorb aĺl the bullcrap excuses and conspiracy theories he offers in self-justification wholeheartedly. Soft Trump supporters probably won't budge unless there's something that directly and powerfully affects them that can be directly traced back to Trump. Hard Trump supporters are probably just beyond hope.

For as much crap as Trump does for those of us who follow politics intensely, life for most Trump supporters probably just goes on as normal day-to-day and they don't get what all the hooplah is about and why "the media" runs all this stuff on him and makes him look bad. Trump's ineffectualness has in a way been almost a blessing as it prevents his crapness from seeping into the everyday life of many of his supporters in a meaningful way. I'll be interested to see what happens when the tax bill becomes law and how it could maybe cause him to fall even below his current floor.

Just a personal theory I've been sitting on, no data to support it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posting this as well here. Less than a year after taking office, Trump is at 32% and the R in Capitol Hill have a 15 deficit in the generic ballot. Those numbers will go even lower when they pass their scam of a tax bill. Can't wait for next November. It is going to be EPIC!

941236877620842496 is not a valid tweet id

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Don't forget McCain is in the hospital.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bannon - the Harvard Business School years. He wasn't a full-on Wingnut yet and came from a Kennedy-loving Democratic family in Norfolk.

From the very first day, Steve Bannon made an impression.

In a Harvard Business School classroom of about 90 people in 1983, he took a seat in the “skydeck” — a spot at the top giving him a view of the entire class. The marketing professor pointed up at Bannon, calling on him — without warning — and asking that he present the case study they were supposed to have read before coming to class.

The case was on Fieldcrest blankets, the acrylic bedding available at most department stores.

“This,” Bannon began, “is a sleepy industry.”

The tense classroom cracked up, and Bannon went on to deliver an impromptu presentation that many of his classmates remember today as so succinct and on point that some have joked that the professor must have told him he was going to get called on.

He continued impressing classmates the next day, too, breaking down another case study.

“He was quite gutsy and pretty much blew the class away with an incredible performance,” said Cornelia Tilney, one of the classmates. “I remember thinking after watching him, ‘I am definitely flunking this class if this is where the bar is set!’"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...siness-school/B2m0j85jh5jRKzKbMastzK/amp.html

25. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe one of the things they teach you in business school is not to fall in love with your ideas. He rode a wave of 4chan basement dwellers to a moment of real power, but he doesn't seem to understand the limits of that wave.