The Trump Presidency V: New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're looking for piano- or acoustic guitar-driven singer-songwriter stuff.

First of all, you should strike Tapestry from your list. What made that album great was independent of piano or acoustic guitar or anything like that, but rather the fact that it was a collection of songs by one of the greatest songwriters of the post-war era, someone who was an integral part of the Brill Building phenomenon and shouldn't be considered completely independently of it. In fact, that album is essentially a career retrospective; it's just that this time, after more than a decade of hit songwriting, she's getting to perform her songs rather than other people. Nothing any of the artists on your list ever did approaches Tapestry when it comes to pop songwriting -- which is not meant as a criticism, because very very few other pop albums do so.

I will also ignore Billy Joel in your list because, as I've made clear, I think he's the Taco Bell of pop rock. If there are no singer-songwriters like him these days, that'd be a good thing.

Oh, and one other thing -- you earlier suggested such artists haven't been around to any great degree "since the 60s"; but most of those artists had their biggest success in the 70s. The first half of the 70s was the glory era for singer-songwriters.

With those exclusions in mind, the one thing to remember is that there appears to be less of that sort of performer around now because nobody wants to listen to music like that anymore. James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, CSN, America all had their peaks at a time when that kind of music was really, really popular; there were lots of artists like that then because the market for it was big then. It isn't now. That doesn't meant the artists don't exist. It means they're not popular, and so you have to put the effort into looking for them to find them. Although a few have been hugely popular for a little while: I wasn't around here for a couple of weeks, but I got the impression that you folks were discussing Indigo Girls; and Sarah McLachlan got pretty damned popular for a while.

Post-1990 ones you might consider (at different degrees of pop vs. earnest singer-songwriter stuff): Elliott Smith, Mike Viola, Gregory Alan Isakov, Iron & Wine/Sam Beam, Father John Misty, Neko Case, Aimee Mann . . .there are lots of others. I'm a big fan of some, don't care at all about others; but they're out there. It's just not that popular music these days.

luftmensch, russ and Minnman repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I know. What happened? Things certainly haven't gone forward.

4. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forward in what sense?

There are lots of things you can appeal to for why that sort of thing isn't as popular now; but even in the absence of those factors, I still don't think this music would be that popular anymore because fashions always change. Kids/teens generally don't want to listen to their parents' music, let alone their grandparents' or great-grandparents', regardless of what it is.

5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Will we be at war with NK before the thread ends?

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You may have touched on something here without intent. It just occurred to me that while a lot of my radio heroes listened to tons of different the stuff that came before them and will say so proudly, they're not necessarily trying to expand on all of it. They were in their moment, and the more recent stuff is in its. But how often do you hear or read them say, "I hated/ignored/didn't care for my folks' music"? Does this really happen as much as you're saying?

I think it might matter what era the parents were all about. Most of the Black musicians I've mentioned in this or that thread I heard on their vinyl, not mine. I can 100% see why somebody wouldn't want to hear their folks' music if their folks listened to Joanna or Cherish The Night by Kool & The Gang. OTOH, if their folks listened to Summer Madness or Jungle Boogie by Kool & The Gang, that's a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't understand that, not even with trying to be unbiased. I'd play Living For The Love Of You and Voyage To Atlantis anytime, but I'd change the station on Shout. I don't care about the frat association- it's just a shit song.

russ repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance. Those investigations take time. I predict it will be done between 10 and 18 months from now, with weekly leaks from the WH and the IC. Drip! Drip.

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give Fleet Foxes a listen.

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Glen Hansard.

roadkit repped this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it the trolls who never have a sense of humor?

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes
    no

12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I would have gone with stupidface Jackson

crazypete13 repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The now infamous NSC memo has resurfaced in the medias. A mash up of conspiracy theories added to a number of phobias....

“While opposition to President Trump manifests itself through political warfare memes centered on cultural Marxist narratives, this hardly means that opposition is limited to Marxists as conventionally understood,” the memo reads. “Having become the dominant cultural meme, some benefit from it while others are captured by it; including ‘deep state’ actors, globalists, bankers, Islamists, and establishment Republicans.”

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/10/heres-the-memo-that-blew-up-the-nsc/amp/

Deadtigers and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Meet the new thread. Same as the old thread.

russ, charlie15, taosjohn and 3 others repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Most Weddings and Bar Mitzvah cocktail hours will attest to this.

Moishe and Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaccck! Can we please kill the music debate?!?!? And I thought listening to Trump yesterday was making my ears bleed. o_O

Auriaprottu, Sounders78, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Wow! There is a lot of crazy in there. I know that St. Elizabeth's is open so there is help available for these people. Of course they probably live in VA where help is lacking in mental health.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It makes more sense than JamieBmore's posts.

russ, charlie15, Auriaprottu and 3 others repped this.
  19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was young, I didn't want to hear my parents music. Even if it didn't suck. Much of it I like now; but back then, the fact that it was theirs made it not mine. And I know/have known a lot of people who feel that way. Obviously there can be exceptions; and I think those exceptions are more common with folks who *play* music. I didn't pick up the guitar until I was 34, and didn't start actively trying to develop any competency beyond the simplest I/IV/V strumming until I was 48. And I realize now that since those dates, I have become much more of a musical omnivore. In particular, now I probably listen to just as much pre-1960 music as I do post-1970; and a pretty fair amount of my musical diet is pre-1940. But when I was in my youth, or my teens, or even my twenties, I had absolutely no interest in what my parents listened to; and if they started listening to some more recent act I was excited about, I'd probably become less excited about that act, because it was tainted by my parents' interest. Yes, I know that's stupid; but at that age, I wanted to be my own person, develop independently from them, and my choices of things like music or TV or clothes or whatever were all big parts of that.

Oh, and re: "Shout", just curious if you're also not a fan of old black gospel music either? Like Ray Charles' "I Got a Woman" or "Hallelujah I Love Her So", that's all the Isley Brothers were up to, really -- just putting different lyrics on music originally intended to get everyone jumping up and down in church.

russ, InTheSun and song219 repped this.
  20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't really a debate.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Is there a line to drink the sweet salty tears of CCJ when his God king finally goes down? And he has no Wall, bi-partisan improved Obamacare and no travel ban?

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Or taste in music.

roby, russ, Bootsy Collins and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Speaking of music, this should be the music Mueller players as he walks into TrumpCo homes and offices

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #49 crazypete13, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    I love that song.

I buy every version of it I come across, the Joy Division live versions, the pre-Gillian Gilbert versions - the earlier single (Bernie Sumner singing) and demo sung by Steven Morris - and several (both 12" and 7") of the familiar version.

Though I've yet to hear the version Peter Hook uncovered of a live recording with Ian Curtis' vocals decipherable.

Galaxie 500 does a cover I like, so does Xiu Xiu (it's a little more 'out there').

Moishe, Bootsy Collins, Cris 09 and 2 others repped this.
  25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My young 50 something daughter liked my "Pearl" album so much she went and found the CD.
    Then poo pooed me when I tried to explain the difference between vinyl and digital. :)
    Then 3 generations of us wailed out Bobby Magee while I thumped it out on my old git-fiddle.

Kristofferson (the old special forces West Point guy ) wrote some fun stuff but couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

Auriaprottu repped this.