The Trump Presidency V: New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    It may explain why FLOTUS's anti-bullying campaign never got off the ground.

Deadtigers and Sounders78 repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    In a more innocent time I thought Bush 43 and Nixon would be the worst Presidents I ever had to face.

Deadtigers, delandis, charlie15 and 3 others repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    charlie15 repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He also argued that no one should own a handgun.
    "I don't know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in the house. The kids usually shoot themselves with it and so forth. Why can't we just go after handguns period?"
    May 16, 1972

Deadtigers, dapip and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moishe repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4582 charlie15, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Dubya, w/out mentioned Trump by name, slammed him today in a speech.
    Who would have thought that GWB could be a voice of reason?

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If there's anyone outside Trump and his cronies that is benefitting from Trump's dumpster fire administration, George W Bush has got to be up there. Bush II has seen a massive boost in relative recent presidency rankings and his reputation as a result of Trump.

onefineesq, Deadtigers, dapip and 6 others repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Business seems to be doing pretty well. It isn't necessarily because of anything that Trump is doing, but, so far, business seems to be rather immune from what is going on in Washington.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner of the Jaguars, who is of Pakistani origin and presumably Muslim, says Trump is just jealous of the NFL and trying to damage it.

I wonder how his will turn out.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Oh c'mon now, we lived through it. He was a horrific frat boy asshole too. No sugarcoating the disaster he unleashed in the mideast or his administration ignoring the housing bubble.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Jags win the Super Bowl?

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do not recall taking any kind of position about the racial breakdown of whose families this POTUS calls or does not call. You made the following claim...

The above did not happen or you would have easily been able to find the link you read it in. I am in no way refuting what you stated as a support of Trump because it is not. Like many that frequent P&CE, when someone posts something that factually doesn't jive they deserve to be called out on it.

Trump is a heaving sack of shit, is it really necessary to make up things to reinforce what the majority of us on here already know? Doesn't Trump already do a good enough job of that on his own by virtue of simply waking up in the morning?

Timon19 repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wouldn’t have easily been able to find a link. Maybe my googlefu sucks, but I couldn’t even think of proper parameters.

Deadtigers and Moishe repped this.
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Firstly, the roots of the housing bubble, by most accounts, were planted in the Clinton administration. So that is a bipartisan failure spanning multiple administrations. And while I certainly won't bother to defend the complete f*ckery that was the Iraq War, I would absolutely take Bush the second over Trump 1000 out of 1000 times with zero hesitation, especially with a more tolerable VP.

16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well if you do remember from where the link originated from I would suggest you no longer use them as a source. I used the same source as Josh Marshall from TPM referenced and there is nothing there that would indicate that what you posted could have happened.

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did not think that I would live to see the day that Dick Cheney was called a "more tolerable VP."

Not that you are wrong, but that whole concept is just beyond belief.

The housing bubble started even before Clinton, but you are correct, it was bipartisan assholeness that caused it.

Deadtigers and Timon19 repped this.
  18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you buy a car with a bad engine and then don't do anything to fix it for 6 years, and in fact repeatedly say "I'm an expert on engines, and let me tell you this one is running fine", then you don't get to blame anyone else when it explodes.

onefineesq, Deadtigers, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    FANNIE MAE!

It was BushCo's BENGHAZI!

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was trying to say that in this hypothetical, I would especially prefer Bush if he had a more tolerable VP than Cheney, because Cheney is just well-and-truly terrible. Bush had a platform in the 2000 election of "no nation-building", and I genuinely believe he was sincere about that, but then radically realpolitik neoconservative elements within his administration, led by Cheney, pushed him in a completely different direction.
    If you buy an engine, it was bad when you bought it, and you ignore warning signs before it breaks down, both the manufacturer and you are at fault for that. There's a blame pie chart there that's basically fifty-fifty.
    I have no idea what banal point this is trying to make.

Timon19 repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This. From Oct. 2008:

WASHINGTON — As the economy worsens and Election Day approaches, a conservative campaign that blames the global financial crisis on a government push to make housing more affordable to lower-class Americans has taken off on talk radio and e-mail.

Commentators say that's what triggered the stock market meltdown and the freeze on credit. They've specifically targeted the mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which the federal government seized on Sept. 6, contending that lending to poor and minority Americans caused Fannie's and Freddie's financial problems.

Federal housing data reveal that the charges aren't true, and that the private sector, not the government or government-backed companies, was behind the soaring subprime lending at the core of the crisis.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24504598.html

xtomx repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was a VERY popular right wing talking point.
    It was bullcrap, of course.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you trying to pin that position on me? Because that isn't my position. I think it's pretty clear that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were pretty peripheral players, although I don't think they helped. To be honest, my whole understanding of the housing crisis is at a relatively basic level, and a lot of the more advanced reasoning regarding the roles that things like derivatives and credit-default swaps have in it is going over my head, but as far as I'm aware the majority of the more credible narratives regarding the housing crisis and its causes begin with the Clinton or even the Reagan administration, not the Bush administration.

Timon19 repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I'd love for Jamie to still be posting and telling us how crap and liberal snoops is...

https://www.snopes.com/melania-trump-body-double/

Is This Melania Trump's Body Double?

[​IMG]

luftmensch repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC