The Trump Presidency V: New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #1 crazypete13, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    [​IMG]

Vs

[​IMG]

Cluck à l'orange.

Continued from here.

Also @Auriaprottu - John Cale - at least the barrel-house parts on "I'm Waiting For The Man", but if we're talking keys in general - the group in the title too.

Rep @Cris 09 for the title.

usscouse, Dyvel, charlie15 and 6 others repped this.
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First,bitches!

Winning!

Hail Grimes!

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MAGA! First page!

I may end up drinking from the "colored" fountain in a few months, but at least I'll have BigSoccer...

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The title is consistent with the wishes of the mob. We will stand down.

For now.

Hail Grimes.

Mojo Jambo, Deadtigers, roby and 4 others repped this.
  5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok first page, I am thankful my Loons are in MLS.

Auriaprottu, crazypete13 and russ repped this.
  6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But just think-- you can finally gratify that ambition to make "race" records! So much winning!

Hail Grimes!

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here before the bomb goes off

HAIL GRIMES!!!

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So are the fans of the rest of the MLS clubs :ROFLMAO:
    But we played you guys in the snow, so no real way to say how large the gap may be.

Hail Grimes!

NORML, roby and spejic repped this.
  9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Corruption? Is this the CNN Fake News thread with their baseless claims I have been waiting for?

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Bootsy Collins, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Presuming that "since the 60s" means "1970 or later",
    Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint, James Booker, Dr. John, Arthur Migliazza, Chase Garrett, Erwin Helfer, Daryl Davis, Richard Manuel, John Cale, Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, Bernie Worrell, Randy Newman, Elton John, Adam Schlesinger, Darian Sahanaja, Brian Wilson, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Murray Perahia, Andre Previn, etc. etc.

Richard Thompson, Bert Jansch, Nick Drake, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Ali Farka Toure, Paco de Lucia, Andres Segovia (yes, even in the 70s), John Williams (not the conductor/film score composer), John Cephas, John Jackson, Archie Edwards, Robert Belfour, Guy Davis, Ari Eisinger, Larry Campbell, Jorma Kaukonen, Paul Rishell, Corey Harris, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Doc Watson, Norman Blake (bluegrass, not Teenage Fanclub, although he's great too, but not for his acoustic playing), Baden Powell, Tim Reynolds, Al Petteway, Pete Huttlinger, Tim Sparks, Rory Block, Jerron "Blind Boy" Paxton, Robin Bullock, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Weird.

russ, Moishe, Minnman and 3 others repped this.
  12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL...you don't think there is any conflict of interest between Trump the president and Trump the business owner of his brand? Bwaaa ha ha ha ha...

Boloni86, russ, crazypete13 and 5 others repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

If Imay use this thread to reply one last time from the old one...

What I was really getting at is the dumbing down/roiding up of music seems to have taken us away from the instruments that were capable of producing great pop in the 70s, and asking myself whether or not today's thirty/fortysomethings are capable of digesting stuff that isn't so much of that. Or whether they're even aware enough to want to.

Where is the Tapestry of this generation? The James Taylor, CSN (& Y), America, Billy Joel, Lee Michaels, Don McLean, Michael Hedges, Jim Croce (Maury Muehleisen)? There's not even a Tracy Chapman or Suzanne Vega coming down the pike. No Dust In The Wind/Battle Of Evermore/Aimee/Crazy Love... Who dropped the baton on radio-ready folk-ish singer-songwriter-ish music?

usscouse, Dr. Wankler and charlie15 repped this.
  15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Or maybe, it's a prediction.

soccernutter, xtomx and luftmensch repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    These lyrics seem to be appropriate for what's in store for Trumpy's West Wing people.

Another one bites the dust
    Another one bites the dust
    And another one gone, and another one gone
    Another one bites the dust…

Sounders78 repped this.
  17. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major props to Cris for the thread title, although my favorite NO song isn't on this album. Ceremony (12" version) still blows my mind every time I hear it (which is often) and is one of the first songs on the Scissorkick Collins the movie soundtrack, whenever it gets made.

crazypete13 and Cris 09 repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Like a rhinestone Issei...

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No but a still have a couple from Carlos Nakai.

image.jpg

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    please tell me I made first page.

Will Mueller be done before this thread ends?

American Brummie, xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks to me like you did!

Depends on whether CCJ wants to drag-ass up in here with dissent.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Ah! You were looking for another Billy Joel! Does it have to be a young one?

My album of the year last year was "Case Lang Veirs." The other nominees were Norah Jones' "Day Breaks," Kandace Springs' "Soul Eyes," and Bob Weir's "Blue Mountain" (which really owes nothing to the Grateful Dead, BTW.)

I also keep an eye on The Milk Carton Kids, Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion, the Decembrists, Tedeschi-Trucks, Sierra Hull, Crystal Bowersox, Grace Potter, Lissie-- but there are a lot of folks who just haven't caught my ear yet, not who will never do so. And it does seem to me that a lot of stuff is machined up to the point that it fades into a sort of urban easy listening slightly crunchy background noise, a kind of aural corn flakes that makes it very hard for even good stuff to catch the ear.

But then I'm an old fart... about 1972 or 3 I spent an evening trying to find common ground with my father playing him my generation's versions of blues classics played as reverently as the players new how; Joplin's "Turtle Blues," Hot Tuna's "Death Don't Have No Mercy," Fleetwood Mac covering Big Joe Turner, that kind of thing-- no wailing guitars or anything. He just couldn't hear any of it-- there was something he found essential to it that they, despite trying to be true and reverential to the original, were leaving out, and I in listening was not missing at all. I have to assume that the same thing is inevitably true of me although I'm not looking for stuff that sounds like the Byrds from the younger set.

usscouse repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #25 Auriaprottu, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    ??? What made you pick Joel out of that group? I actually added him as an afterthought, but I think he belongs. Just The Way You Are is as well-composed as most jazz standards (could have a second horn instead of vocals), but never became one because Billy Joel.

I'm looking for new artists to go forward with what's been done but not get so far away from it that the connection isn't immediately audible. And (maybe most importantly) I'm looking to not have to look for it. See, everything I listed, I heard on bog-standard everyday pop/rock AM radio during peak hours. These were HITS. They were the mainstream order of the day, not something for only the studied few to hear.

Mo mom and I have had these discussions like what you describe with your dad. Mu dad wasn't really a distinguishing listener, but he liked a lot of stuff as background. Mom tends to see things as they were first heard by her. She likes the "Gospel-y" feel of Marvin Gaye's How Sweet It Is, and no matter how any times I try to explain that James Taylor's version is actually moreso, I don't get anywhere with it (tho she likes JT as a whole, wants to hear him live one day. I heard him in Nashville in the early 90s). Just an example.