The Trump Presidency Ocho :: It Can't Go On. A.K.A. We All Gotta Duck / When The Shit Hits the Fan

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He negotiated with Brazil relaxing Pele’s national treasure status so he could come to US and play for Cosmos!

Dr. Wankler and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    [QUOTE="Deadtigers, post: 37333270, member: 286096"
    <runs for the door>[/QUOTE]

Don't open it!!!! He might be waiting out there!!!

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wonder how well Don Jr slept last night. Can a president do a preemptive pardon? Those pardons will come thick and fast once they start.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be stupid for the Dems. It would still have to happen in the Senate, and the 2020 elections are already favorable for the Reps in the Senate, so jumping into the impeachment hearings immediately would be foolish prior to getting public imput from the Senate.

Further, there are any number of other issues to set precedent, such as requiring all cabinet level appointees and above to submit their tax returns, which could also be handled prior to impeachment.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Soon to be, Allah willing,
    Traitor's Tower

FullSizeR1.jpg

Hayaka repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They don't have to rush into it. And the Mueller Report would need to be released first. They impeached Clinton for far less and TrumpCo's many crimes makes Watergate look like child's play. So yeah, f#ck this criminal presidency with everything we've got when the time is right.

charlie15, Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This amazing capitulation slipped by this week with all the other news and speculation. Trump and his Repugnants are trying to sabotage as much as they can before their world comes crashing down around their ears.

Donald Trump couldn’t possibly raise more suspicion that he’s being blackmailed by the Russian government.
    Juxtapose this Russian embassy tweet from one week ago:
    The Trump administration is moving toward handing back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, that its officials were ejected from in late December as punishment for Moscow’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/143...-suspicion-hes-blackmailed-russian-government

soccernutter repped this.
  8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Don't open it!!!! He might be waiting out there!!![/QUOTE]

But him and his friend Gus said they are offering me a helicopter ride view of the beach!

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure why the Dems would go for impeachment? They would burn a lot of political capital for something that likely doesn’t even see the floor in the Senate... At which poont, the Dem base will somehow blame the Democrats for not getting him impeached and will get all angry.

ceezmad, spejic, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It will be about timing. The thing is Democrats have so much to work with, that they don’t have to rush the impeachment hearings. Investigate Trump for all his crimes, release all the information and make sure anyone that wants to be informed knows about collusion and emoluments.

Then when the public is heavily convinced of Individual-1 criminality, hold the initial impeachment audiences and put pressure on the Senate and on the Republican candidates to not hold a vote, probably around primary time.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think it would be better to concentrate on legislation, which to be sure, won't go anywhere, but keep popular idea and widely supported programs front and center, and stay on message. If the other shoe drops, don't go on the attack, but rather let Trump do his thing.

As with Burlesconi, if you attack the "man" for his outrageous behavior and statements, he wins. If you focus on policy, he loses.

So legislate as much as possible, and let justice run its course.

Of course, more likely, the Democrats in Congress will do everything they can to give Trump a second term.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump has announced that Kelly will leave by January.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. And one thing they should do is pass an infrastructure bill, funded by some tax increase on the wealthy.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timing is the key word. There is no rush to start Impeachment proceedings and Pelosi has shown no appetite either for that so far. It is clear that the plan is to bring a number of popular / progressive legislations to the floor and force the R's to vote against them.
    Having said that, sooner rather than later, Mueller is going to finalize and release the results and one can bet there is will be a lot in them. No doubt in my mind that, Obstruction of justice, corruption and collusion will be revealed. What should the Congress do then? They simply won't be able to push Mueller's findings on the side and continue like business as usual.

15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Pretty much.

-legislate on popular issues (healthcare, infrastructure, transparency)
    -investigate, compile, disseminate out of the limelight to build a case for the GOP as do-nothings when it comes to Trump
    -don't take the bait and above all just be clinical about things.

Don't give them soundbites. Recently, I'm thinking about Ocasio-Cortez's comments re: Jr and subpoena power and Gillibrand's "the future is female", but it could just as easily be Biden wanting to "fight" Trump. Don't. Just don't. I know what they mean. But don't give them obvious soundbites they can use. Do your damn jobs (in and out of office) and stay on message.

Deadtigers, sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3916 Dr. Wankler, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah, that was stupid. But I didn't even notice "The future is female" at first in her tweet. What jumped out to me was the word "intersectional": Yeah, great, let's make the Democratic party platform sound like a grad school syllabus. That will win votes.

Oh, and re: Biden: it's truly not just the young 'uns who do this.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Chicago76 repped this.
  17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The helicopters landing would be the beacon telling them where to attack. They would already be on alert from the attacks on the embassy, the airport, the power station, and the telephone switch center.

18. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are right - their hand may be forced. But I think they should first see if Trump can be charged with crimes while in office (in state and/or federal venues). Make the Supreme Court defend the President, then impeachment proceedings can be seen as a response and when the Republican Senate does not take up the impeachment proceedings you can tie the whole Republican party to the mast of the sinking Trump family ship.

charlie15 repped this.
  19. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have it backwards -- there would be no attacks on anything unless needed to ensure the safe departure of the hostages.

It was never the plan to pre-emptively bomb/attack other targets. Even if they did, I think you over-estimate the response time of any military -- including ours -- to an unanticipated attack in the dark hours of the early morning.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a long time, he was the only American of note who was also a soccer fan. He was noted as being in attendance at all of the big tournaments. Before my position at UI solidified outside of a research track, I had conceptualized a book that I would have proposed doing in collaboration with him, called Henry Kissinger's World Cups, 1972-2018, which would have contextualized each tournament in the major foreign policy questions of that quadrennium, with his memories of the games and the personalities and the host of each tournament. I think he would have gone for it, and I think it would have been a good book.

Deadtigers, sitruc, soccernutter and 5 others repped this.
  21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still alive, right?

What are you waiting for? I'd buy it! Great idea.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Intersectional. I forgot about that part. Probably because I threw up in my mouth when I read it. I hate that word. In two women’s studies courses I took in college roughly 25 years ago to fulfill distribution requirements, I never once came across that word. In the last 5 years it’s everywhere.

When making comments to a broad audience, don’t use words that lack meaning to most people. Like hegemony. Works great in global finance/political terms if you’re giving a talk to a bunch of economists. Not so much in a tweet or a stump speech.

Biggest problem the Dems have had: make a simple, personal case for ideas in terms that at least 90% of people will fully understand.

luftmensch, Boloni86 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And while you're at it, make a companion documentary. Take him to SE Asia so he can kick around some land mines. :thumbsup:

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

What do we want?

Total intersectional critique of the hegemonic structure of cis-patriarchical dominance!

When do we want it!

In the realm of the immediate present!

25. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You expect the guards in the embassy to just do nothing? They are going to sound the alarm very quickly.

You don't need a large force to cause problems. Even a police response would slow the operation.