The Trump Presidency Nein: Leistung, Korruption und Lugen

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one way to look at it. I would say it is an even more resounding no from your end. This was posed earlier today. Would love to read your thoughts and responses.

The real question is (as per Tom Nicholls)

- will you straight ticket vote against Trump?

Any Congressional vote for the GOP is a vote in support of Trump.
    Any protest vote is acquiescence to Trump

If you are not voting 100% to zero out the vote(s) of 1 Trumper, then you are in effect, acquiescing to Trump's corrupt rule

fatbastard and CFnwside repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sadly I really noticed this crap in my hometown this year - I thought it had got better since the 90s, but I think with the older generation, in some respects it is worse.

Especially what I noticed is people don't know that they are racist.

So for example a relative was raving on about an Asian ghetto being created by Absentee Chinese landlords. So I asked well how many of the landlords in the street are Chinese? Of course they don't know if there are any. But they think this is OK to say because they are just stating a "widely known fact". Just the same as how Asians can't drive.

But it is very permission based. It is not OK to go full GOP in the NZ media. People say this crap in private.

sitruc, charlie15 and Sounders78 repped this.
  3. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Many lessons learned. Let's not forget "religious" people. Having not grown up around religion I really could not fully gage what that meant. Sure, you observe the hypocrisy here and there without knowing how widespread it is. I truly had no idea that essentially the entire "evangelical christian" thing was always just a ruse for plain old, garden variety racism and hatred.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    At the risk of getting punched, I think he's on to something.

Racism is not a binary, yes or no. There's a spectrum. For example, Jeff Sessions would happily lynch a black person for the crime of being black (I presume). That's racist. On the other hand, I'm a mostly decent person who would never consciously hurt anyone because of their skin color, I try to empathize with everyone regardless of ethnicity, and I acknowledge the privileges that I've been given by virtue of my terrific luck at being born white, cis and American. But I've got some implicit biases that I need to work on. That's also racist. Is there a difference between me and Jeff Sessions? I'd like to think so. But if I get called a racist the same way he does, the word ceases to have much meaning.

5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Part of the problem is the déplorables largely identify as Bible-believing Christians. The long-running assumption is that Christians are inherently good people and therefore deserve the benefit of the doubt.

We in the LGBT community saw right through that as Bible-believing Christian leaders have long been known for their lying, vicious behavior and scapegoating. Their followers have always been more than happy to cast every stone they could at us. And knowing their deeply racist roots, it doesn’t surprise me in the least to see how they are behaving now that they’ve been given the freedom to express in public what they have held in their hearts.

rslfanboy, Deep Wilcox, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  6. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All you had to do was look where it is strongest (“The Bible Belt”), look at their history of justifying slavery, segregation, etc, and at how segregated Sunday mornings are. Private Christian schools had their boom in the years following desegregation.

Then look at how they treat gays.

Racism, hatred, it’s part of who they are.

Just add 2 and 2.

xtomx repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Of course he's onto something. But he needs to find a legit example, not Ronald Reagan.

8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You're right of course that it's not a binary level. We all fall short on some level. But the crux of the matter is the fact that so many people have embraced the level 9 (out of 10 let's say arbitrarily) racism. So, if the originator of the quote has an issue with his political clan wrongfully being called racist - well this was the perfect time to show their true colors. Sadly for America, they did.

Instead he's mad at the "wolf-criers" who were, err.. right?

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, a huge swath of the hardcore alt-right is decisively anti-religion: I think those were the people Clinton was referring to as deplorables, more than the people politicians tend to give the benefit of the doubt to (white evangelicals)

Which isn't to take anything away from your post, just that a lot of the deplorables are actively anti religion.

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a stupid question.

Any vote for either of the major parties is a vote to continue with the idiocy that is our government.

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You could just make this your sig and be done with 99% of your posts around here.

rslfanboy, Kazuma, chaski and 3 others repped this.
  12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And add in "But what about Clinton!!!" and that would take care of the rest.

Deadtigers, sitruc, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! At least we know where you stand. That is the epitome of white privilege though. You can afford to believe that complete BS that and act on it. Nothing will change for you.
    Honestly dude, people like you are as much as a threat to my very existence as a POC than the rabid right wingers who were screaming at Don Cheeto's rally last night. I really mean it.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Mittens :ROFLMAO:

Seriously was there even a more spineless man?

charlie15 repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. It's interesting to me that the term "bigot" has lost a lot of its sting, because to me it SHOULD be a more damning personal observation.

Racism is a belief system. One can be "racist" without necessarily being hateful or fully aware of how racist one is. But being a "bigot" is a choice. You're being overtly, deliberately hateful, biased, or unfair in how you treat someone.

rslfanboy, Deadtigers, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our two-party system of government dates back to Washington's first cabinet but there are still people who think they know how the system is 'supposed' to work.

Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And continue to vote the way you do and the same will be the case for you.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh......look at the Mittens......:ROFLMAO:...I see you Mitt...I see you..

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason it's brought up so frequently is because people continue to blame third party voters for the dumpster fire that is our current situation.

Moishe and Timon19 repped this.
  20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, that's because third party voters are at least partially to blame. Voting for a third party candidate for president accomplishes absolutely nothing besides making you feel proud of yourself; you might as well not vote or write in Popeye or something.

song219, sitruc, Auriaprottu and 3 others repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly

It means that the government faces no electoral penalty when too many voters do this - e.g. when so many young people don't vote the government can ignore them

This is the essence of the Knave rule. You acquiesce to tyranny by not voting against (or for) the government

Deadtigers, Auriaprottu and charlie15 repped this.
  22. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Yup. And that should be another lesson from the Trump era. Vote third party in your local election and work to build a viable political movement. In the presidential election one of the two major candidates will end up having the power to make decisions for four years.

bigredfutbol and superdave repped this.
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of places to place blame if that's what you want.

As for it accomplishing nothing, well, that I have to disagree with you on.

Did you see what our government was doing yesterday? Everyone had their panties in a bunch over a pointless resolution to condemn Trumps tweets instead of actually doing anything about anything. What did that pointless resolution do for anyone? The entire legislative process is being held hostage by virtue signaling. No one in Congress likes Trump. Hell, most people don't like Trump. Did we really need Pelosi spending a day debating a pointless resolution?

Time to blow the whole process up.

You know what? I'll amend my answer to @charlie15 to say that anyone that votes for any candidate currently holding office is complicit in the stupidity that governing this country has become.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    9D chess genius

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah.....Things have changed for me, for the better under Obama and I voted for him. Unfortunately, they may change for the worse under this psycho. For most people, elections have direct consequences, just look at the HC/ACA debate. More power to you though, since they don't affect you.