The Trump presidency: functionalism vs. intentionalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, Monopoly is a great game, and what you listed sounds like some incel sci-fi stuff (I did Google, and they're at least board games, credit for that).

Your generation would have benefited from playing outdoors more often. You're all going to be fat and slovenly by the time you're 40 (if you're not already) because you don't know what exercise feels like.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Whoa, n00b, I LARP in Beast Mode. Scrubs like you need to stick with D & D

spejic, yossarian and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We played Monopoly, Sorry, checkers & other board games on picnic tables outdoors at recreation in the summers. But most of the time it was bball, tons of Wiffle ball and tackle football. I never see the local yoots playing tackle in front of elementary schools nowadays. Everything has to be organized.
    AND GET OFFA MY LAWN! :D

roby and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've seen kid-organized games twice in the last five years (well, not counting basketball): orthodox Jewish kids playing baseball with a tenns ball at their school on a Sunday, and Indian kids playing cricket with a tennis ball and milk crates for wickets. That's it.

I'm surprised no one called the cops in either case.

Boloni86 and dapip repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    We played a combined sort of game that while you were in the street it was touch but if you went on a wide pattern out into the grass on either side of the street you could be tackled.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nerf footballs in the street, 2 manholes for a TD. Watch for cars & kids on bikes darting out. 5 Mississippi rush & one blitz per set of downs.

Skitching around town was popular when it snowed. Haven't seen someone do that in decades. When school was canceled because of snow we'd spend all day sledding and building snow forts & tunnels in the big piles of snow the plows made at the bottom of the street. It was a blast.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monopoly is a shit game. Good games are ones where:

1) You don't know who is winning up until the end.
    2) Every player has a decent shot to win until the end.
    3) Decisions, not luck, drive the outcome.
    4) Play lengths are constant, not variable.

Monopoly is terrible because you know who is winning, players get knocked out, pure luck drives the game, and it can take thirty minutes or TWO DAYS to finish.

Also I'm running a half marathon in three weeks.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    D & D is the greatest of all games.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not, though. Gloomhaven streamlines the experience so that your DM doesn't need a masters in creative writing to keep things interesting.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, how long until Dave creates a board game thread...

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wilson's ETTD has some good material on the genesis of Trump within the Conservatism Host - especially the role of idiots like Matt Schlapp in bringing the likes of Trump into CPAC - essentially encouraging the cray.

By the time of the primaries Wilson's infamous email to key donors urged them to kill Trump off, it being far cheaper to do it earlier than later. The donor class was concerned that Trump would self fund - escalating costs for everyone (not realising he probably had no cash to do this), or worse run as an independent in the election, killing the GOP candidate.

So it played out that the rivalries between establishment factions who hoped to use Trump to kill off their rivals opened the door for him to defeat then in detail (i.e. one at a time)

Reince capped off the capitulation by making Trump "promise" to run as GOP

This view seems Trumpism as Frankenstein's experiment that the GOP brewed for years via wingnut media and rhetoric and then lost control of it and it infected the host

Personally I think with hindsight the result was somewhat inevitable given the pure cray that was cynically mainlined into the general whitelandia population

superdave repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The masters in creative writing is what made the game so brilliant. If you have a great group, there really are no limits to where it can go

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Part of where it goes is down to the accidents of history IMO

For example in NZ, we were staring down the barrel of 3 more years of austerity and corporate capture. Then Jacinda became leader 7 weeks before the election and swept to power on a wave of youth, personality and excitement.

The poor of NZ are just lucky she emerged on the left - because before she became leader, Labour were polling record lows.

IMO at least in NZ, the public aren't terribly attached to conservatism. We have more of a Zeitgeist were people will vote status quo until there is a rising angst that we are on the wrong path

What I do think is critical is that the power of women as voters is emerging. We don't want old white guys the whole time.

crazypete13 repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, there goes chess. And Risk.
    And Mousetrap!

You doing it doesn't impress me (tho it's a positive). What would impress me is you getting seven or eight of your fat HS classmates to stumble out of the craft breweries for a day and run it with you.

Decisions is Gran Turismo. Luck is Sizzlers. These 30somethings needed to set up some Fat Track and just let the damn cars roll. But they weren't forced to learn the ways of the sages, and I guess that's our fault.

American Brummie repped this.
  15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chess is its own thing. But Risk and Mousetrap are terrible, TERRIBLE games.

I mean, the race I'm in has over 25,000 participants, so...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If you put a 13.1 sticker on the back of your Subaru I will key your car. :p

rslfanboy, ToMhIlL, song219 and 5 others repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Used to play Risk in college. One night, a guy from my dorm floor invited a couple of friends to play. They were real assholes and ruined the fun. My friend and I basicaly took a dive and got ourselves routed early. We went downtown, knocked back two or three pitchers, came back around midnight. The game was still going, and it was pretty chippy. I go to bed. Not long after I fall asleep, there is a huge noise. A fight has broken out. One of the guys from my dorm, pissed about the inevitable outcome, went to his closet and grabbed his bowling ball*. He returned, declaring nuclear war, and smashed the board, the card table it was on, etc. with said bowling ball.

That was the last time I played Risk.

*yes, when I went to college some students actually owned bowling balls. None if us had racoon-fur coats, nor did we wear beanies, however.

rslfanboy, ToMhIlL, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll go right next to my coexist and AT stickers ;)

song219 and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I owned one in HS (my team won a friend's church league title twice in a row), but didn't take it to college with me. I wasn't great at it or anything. Bowling alleys doubled as video game arcades BITD, as you know.

It's the "baby on board" stickers that get me. Folks, nobody is going to be able to avoid an accident because they saw your sticker at the last second.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wharton?

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How am I quoted for Wankler's post??? BigSoccer has gone sentient.

crazypete13 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The stick figure ones are annoying. Except for this one:

il_570xN.1534546789_kzpj.jpg

ToMhIlL and dapip repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a funny spin on that just last night. The car's sticker said "Baby up in this bitch!"

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I saw a car the other day with a Coexist sticker next to a Cook County Sheriff's sticker, next to a Pray! sticker. I wasn't quite sure which way that car swung, until I saw the fourth and final sticker -

[​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure. I didn't change anything.