The true state of the 3 Canadian franchise in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Robert Borden, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I actually agree with you. I don't think they leave MLS. A better deal will make sure of that and possibly the 3 clubs complying to new sets of regulations.

Regarding hypothetical lawsuits, it wouldn't happen as the CSA would never force them in CPL. It's within their rights to not renew sanctioning which was corroborated by the USL president.

CPL already plans clubs in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Those 3 cities are big enough for multiple clubs and the league is clearly using the European model over the North American model.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That post just shows how little you know about the CSA. The 3 teams don't have that kind of power within Canadian soccer. Ask TFC who had to win the Canadian Championship twice in a row to earn their spot in the Champions League. When CPL starts, they will lose even more influence.

Forever? Don't forget that Canada had a better record than the USMNT until 1990. The US qualified for world cups until Canada started to send a team to world cup qualifiers in the 60s. Canada made it farther almost everytimeand beating the US most of the time.

The incompetence is post 2000. We didn't qualify in 1990, lost to Australia in intercontinental playoffs for 1994 and were in the Hex for 1998.

The CSA isn't saying the source of the problem are the 3 clubs, they are saying that the status quo doesnt work and is insufficient. No one can disagree with that.

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm saying is that if CSA did something to damage the business of three incredibly rich and powerful ownership groups, those owners have the money and ability to bankrupt the CSA, regardless of what FIFA or anyone else might think. The situation is the same in the US- regardless of what theoretical power USSF might have, it couldn't win a war against MLS.

These three teams seem quite popular in their respective home cities, they've built academies and are developing players. They've basically done everything you'd want a professional soccer team to do. Why not just let them continue to do what they're doing, and focus on the parts of Canadian soccer that aren't successful?

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #104 Robert Borden, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Let's agree to disagree.

Bankrupt the CSA? How? You're funny. Suing the CSA because hypothetically they would be asking to play more Canadians gets you laughed out the courts. A reminder, for the last 10 years, they haven't asked anything except for the Canadian Championship last year where they must start 3 Canadians.

Suing the CSA= Suing FIFA. Still think FIFA can be bankrupt?
    I won't elaborate on the consequence of going down that route as you're the only one who doesn't seem to get that it won t happen.

They've done ok. They can do better. I don't know about you but my boss always seems to want me to do better even when I'm doing a good job. It's called striving for excellence. You criticize the incompetence of the CSA yet dislike that they won't stand for mediocrity any longer.

As shown above, non MLS academy have develop more current elites member of the CANMNT than MLS academies. The CSA is right to ask them to make changes so they can at the very least do the same...which in turns ends up benefiting them ultimately.

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've already shown that you don't really understand legal issues very well, so I agree that continuing to discuss them with you is pointless.

But, a quick search online shows that discrimination based on national origin violates Canadian law. Again, I'm not a Canadian lawyer, but I wouldn't be surprised if requiring a team to start Canadian citizens over non-citizens breaks the law. It would be in the US.

I'd like to point out that it's not the job of professional soccer teams to develop players for their country's respective national team.

oknazevad repped this.
  6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #106 Robert Borden, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Those teams are based in Canada. How requiring that for home games be violating US laws??? :)

And the CSA already showed they could and already done it for the Canadian Championship by forcing them to start 3 Canadians.

The questions will they or will they not extend that to league matches in Canada.

Fyi... they 100% can

Saying that after pointing out the FACT un England example just proves that you understand North American sports, not FIFA, it's culture and top down relationship with its confederation, association's and leagues.

Applying North American sport leagues logic to FIFA shows that you don't get how it works... at all

7. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about Canadian law, which bans discrimination based on national origin. Just because something has happened before, doesn't mean it's legal. NASL and USL in the US are breaking US law as well.

Let me put it another way. Let's say your employer passed a rule that a certain percentage of the most important positions in a company are reserved for Canadian citizens. Do you think that's legal? Do you think that's just?

The EPL has the highest percentage of foreign players of any league in Europe, nearly 70%. So, I'm not sure what point you think you're trying to make. The EPL doesn't have any quotas based on citizenship. It does have a homegrown player rule, but it's not based on a player's citizenship, but rather whether they have been registered with a club in the FA in England or Wales for at least 36 months prior to their 21st birthday.

If you're going to use England as an example, you should probably first learn how their system works. And, in England, the top clubs basically set the rules. The EPL does more or less exactly what it wants to do.

This statement doesn't mean anything.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's shake hands and agree to disagree.
    Enjoy the MLS finals

Cheers

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    To say Whitecaps had absolutely nothing to do with his development is wrong.

jason1551 and sitruc repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The credit goes to Edmonton on this. When Vancouver signed him, he was so good that they started him at 15. But, they aren't equipped to polish his skills, hence needing to move to Europe sooner rather than later.

12. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the conclusion we can draw from this kid’s development so far is that the system in Canada worked pretty well for him. He started at his local team, moved to the academy of the closest MLS team when he got older, and now he’s got a shot at playing in Europe.

Are you surprisd that a kid whose family lives in Edmonton would spend his early developmental career close to home? His playing career so far is pretty much what you’d expect.

jason1551, The Franchise and Ismitje repped this.
  13. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    I believe if CanPL succeeds, probably Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal will be forced to join by fans.

Because if CanPL will have teams in this 3 cities, they could become bigger than canadian MLS teams, atracting more public to stadium, higher TV audience, etc.

it will be a question of numbers in stadiums and TV.

Robert Borden repped this.
  14. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver fans want their teams to play in what will certainly be a lower-quality league? Hockey is significantly more popular in Canada than soccer, but there isn't any movement by the fans of Canadian NHL teams to breakaway and form a Canadian-only hockey league.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why would they break away from the NHL, a league founded in Canada and an original all Canadian league?

16. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The USSF could very easily sanction TFC since the very same thing happens in England with the Welsh clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/may/06/fa-faw-cardiff-swansea

17. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    CONCACAF Champions League will be blocked to canadian teams sanctioned by USSF.

18. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #118 Unak78, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    I don't see why it would since Cardiff and Swansea are both able to represent England in UEFA, or at least would be able to if they ever qualified. It's simply a matter of how CONCACAF see this. Considering that UEFA doesn't prohibit this, I can't see why CONCACAF would. Imo, the answer is that they won't have any issue.

Besides which, neither the fans nor the CSA are going to push this issue in the forseable future. In our current decade at least this is a non-issue and speculating on the near infinite sets of variables that could affect things beyond that is a waste of my time and yours since noone here is smart enough to have correctly assessed them or willing enough to present them all in an objective manner. Our time would be better spent speculating on immediate CPL plans rather than pursuing this illogical CPL-MLS di%k-measuring contest.

jason1551 and JasonMa repped this.
  19. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Yes, they could participate in CONCACAF Champions League using US berths, not canadian berths.

Cardiff and Swansea could participate in UEFA competitions using england berths not welsh berths, reserved to welsh premier league clubs.

Robert Borden repped this.
  20. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    That's the exact point that I just made. Good. I'm glad we agree on that point. Now we can move on.

21. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't. And I don't see any reason why the fans of the Canadian MLS teams would want their teams to leave the league, My cousins are both TFC season ticket holders, and I've come up for games a few times. The fans seem pretty happy.

For some reason, you don't seem to like that the best Canadian teams play in MLS. Which is your right. You should focus on fixing what doesn't work in Canadian soccer, rather than trying to tear down what does. Soccer's had a hard enough time of it in Canada and the US without purist fans trying to break a working system. .

22. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just stick with the current arrangement for CONCACAF Champions League? Is anyone complaining about it.

Granted, few fans care about CONCACAF Champions League, anyway.

jayd8888, oknazevad and JasonMa repped this.
  23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Besides which, this entire question is about a decade or so premature. It's a waste of time to speculate on when there are more interesting and immediate topics regarding the CPL to speculate on. Perhaps one day this will all make sense, but that day isn't anytime soon nor is it one which has legions of fans pushing for imminent resolution like P/R. A more interesting topic regarding the CPL vis-a-vis MLS is the possible implementation of P/R in that league. This is something that has actually been stated and speculated upon and would make a more pertinent addition to the MLS forum. Why this?

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #124 Robert Borden, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    I don't think that was @Paulo_PT point. The talk of the 3 leaving MLS is premature as CPL doesn't exist. He meant "hypothetically", if CPL peaks, only fans could force the conversation. Even if all the financial arguments were there (TV viewership, Attendances, sponsorship, league financial structure, reduced expenses) for the teams to entertain a move, they'd be unlikely to move unless the fans forced a conversation.

Personally, I don't know.

I could see Montreal being tempted if Quebec City was in CPL. Montreal being my hometown, the biggest rivalry is Quebec City by a mile. Toronto or Boston (all sports) doesn't come even close. A Quebec - Montreal derby would sell out the Olympic Stadium. Not saying the Impact would want to jump to CPL but, tempted? Hard not to be. The owner Joey Saputo keeps saying he has yet to make a profit since joining MLS.

I don't know Vancouver enough. Would a Vancouver - Victoria or Vancouver - Surrey derby surpass the one with Seattle? Good question.

As for Toronto, it will always be Montreal and Ottawa to some extend. I'd be curious about Hamilton. In all 3 cases based on the NHL and CFL, those games draw lots of fans live and on TV.

For CPL, attendance wouldn't be the issue, TV is and this is uncharted territory. No one knows how CPL will do on TV so any prediction is premature, so talks of the 3 teams going to CPL are very premature.

Unak78 repped this.
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada