The Transportation Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Oct 3, 2010.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm high on life. Try it sometime!

2. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or talking about this...

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's a bad economy. This is the only thing I can afford to get high on these days

In a good economy it's strippers, coke and caviar all night long!

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not an issue, because a number of airlines have in-flight wi-fi now, and no restrictions on the number of pax who can have electronic devices turned on. Again, if it's okay at 30,000 feet, what is different about being on the ground?

Nothing.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well I'm no pilot but I assumed there was little to no communication between the cock-pit and air-traffic controllers during mid-flight. It's during take-off and landings where you don't want any kind of interference or miscommunication to occur. In mid-flight very little can go wrong. An engine could fall off the plane and a skilled pilot will still be able to land it.

6. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to make light of an issue that some of you are clearly very passionate about, but seriously??
    when it comes to personal freedoms and liberties, don't we have bigger fish to fry? this is what we want to focus our energies on?

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.

Kindles aren't cell phones. Assuming that wireless is turned off, my Kindle is a completely inert, non-broadcasting object, except when I turn the page and it expends a minute amount of electricity turning the page.

I, for one, am happy that cell phones are required to be turned off because I don't want to sit next to someone yapping on a cell phone.

But again, the flight crew - in the cockpit - is using tablets. Mere inches from some of this oh-so-delicate equipment! So it's irritating to have to turn off my totally harmless Kindle just because someone wants me to. Arbitrary rules drive me completely insane.

fatbastard and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Something that affects maybe 1 hour of your life per year "drives you completely insane"? :confused: I can understand the baggage fees and security checks being annoying because they cost people time and money. But turning off your electronic device for 15 minutes costs nothing!

Boloni86 repped this.
  9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said arbitrary rules drive me insane. The stupid Kindle thing is only one example.

And ******** you. I can feel however I want to feel whether you approve or not.

10. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this particular moment in time?

Yes.

I can't rage against Congress and signs that say "15 Items or Less" all the time.

Barbara repped this.
  11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to rage against something worthwhile, rage against people paying with checks in the express lane.

Kobranzilla, Barbara and Boloni86 repped this.
  12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Hey, I don't care if you smoke pot, in the comfort of your tinfoil-insulated mancave. Just don't mess with the lowly-paid, middle-aged flight attendant, enforcing various in-flight prohibitions. Carrying firearms on planes probably won't affect flight either, but I also prefer passengers not do that.
    How can they ban nudity on planes? If there are no children on board, passengers should be able to strip off & fly au naturale, as God meant us to be.
    There should be a lot more bothering you about air travel, that a restriction on devices for a few minutes on either end of the flight.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  15. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. Start a thread about those things and I'll jump right in.

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Let's not, and say we did.

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These guys seemed pretty concerned about electronics operating close to equipement during landing

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Level of understanding of electromagnetic radiation seems to be inversely proportional to the level of authoritarian cocksucking going on in this thread.

19. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    All I learned about electromagnetic radiation I figured out by getting a text/email/call on my Blackberry when it was next to computer speakers.

20. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I was at a show once at a little club and I had my ringer off on my old iPhone 1. I got a text. The PA, easily 10-15 feet away, broadcast that weird sound to the entire club (you know the one, it's similar to an old fashioned dial-up modem). I had to play it very, very cool, as if I had farted in the elevator, to avoid arousing suspicion that it was me.

That's also when I started using headphones.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    RF radiation inducing a current in a poorly-shielded speaker magnet != harmful interference.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This being a soccer board, how can anyone forget the time the Revs were on a flight to LA and a naked man got out of the bathroom and started walking up the aisle and tried to opent he Emergency Exit. Matt Reis and Shalrie Joseph aprehended the man, and order was restored.

Civil liberties being what they are, that was almost at the exact moment when the Revs took a free-fall from being a perennial MLS Cup contender to the crap excuse of a team they have been in recent years. They should have just let civil liberties rule the day and they might have won an MLS Cup in their 6th or 7th try!

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I'm not sure I'd go that far. It depends where you're flying.

If you're crossing aviation airways they'd be communicating if you or another plane has problems or has strayed off it's designated path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airway_(aviation)

[​IMG]

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bump...bump...bump

Dear Stoopid Airlines,

Always go with the LX model, not the base model:

The Boeing 737 Max jet that has been linked to two deadly crashes failed to include two safety functions in its standard model, features that cost extra for airlines that bought the planes.

An angle of attack indicator, or two exterior sensors that tell pilots the angle of their plane, was one of the two safety features that came at an additional cost to airlines. The other, a disagreement alert, would then warn those in the cockpit whether the sensors were providing conflicting information.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ntsb-joining-ethiopian-airlines-crash-investigation-n986011