The Transgender Discussion [Strictly Moderated]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #1 usscouse, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020
    [redacted]

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, first, sex change operations are not done just because someone wants. There are psychological assessments done prior to the surgery.

Second, your cousin-in-law is in a relationship with person. Why does sexual orientation matter? Why does the plumbing matter? I would think you'd want her (them) to be happy above all else, yes?

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I ask, why does sexual orientation matter?

Or are you more interested in pointing out that you think they are wrong?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be exhausting being you.

I couldn't do it.

The Devil's Architect repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? To put a label on somebody on how they are supposed to behave? To make somebody fill some kind of pre-conditioned idea of norms or standards? If two people are in a romantic relationship, I'd think that the primary goal would be to want them to be happy, and to help them continue to achieve that goal. Not to point out that they are wrong in a way that doesn't fit our preconceived ideas of what somebody chooses (as long as no harm is coming to others).

I know. You look at things in a very binary manner. Makes life easier, doesn't it?

Moishe repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say that lesbians are attracted to women isn't a "preconceived idea" except to the extent that we speak a language with words and words have definitions. I mean, am I criticizing your preconceived idea of what "exhausting" means? No, because that would be stupid.
    I was thinking more of what it must be like to be fully woke 36 hours a day.

Timon19 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I ever said anything was "wrong." Inconsistent, maybe, but not wrong.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I guess to us hetero dudes (99.7% of P&CE) this doesn't add up. But I don't really worry about what people do in private if it's not involving kids, animals or illegal acts. Maybe the cousin's really attracted to femme dudes and this is how they're going about it?

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When ever I encounter something like described above about love and relationships I always end up with Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell" in my head. Sure Chucks song was about young love but I find it can fit many different types of relationships and our own opinion on what works best to make a happy loving relationship.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I've seen enough crummy "normal" marriages to know that whatever makes ya happy is the best route to go. Gay, straight, celibate, married, single whatever.

song219, roby, taosjohn and 1 other person repped this.
  11. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just worry about people permanently mutilating their body for some grass is greener pie in the sky ideal of what is being the opposite sex. No matter how many surgeries you have done or how many hormones you take, you are never truly going to be the opposite sex. Why ruin a perfectly healthy body? Work with what you have. Cross dress or be gay or whatever you want.
    As someone who has atrocious health problems, it boggles my mind when people willingly put themselves under the knife when they don't absolutely have to for medical reasons.
    It also makes me wonder what people think being the other gender is really about. What is it that really makes me a woman? Is it my breasts? What if I have a mastectomy? Am I not a woman then? If that's the case, why would a man who wants to be a woman need breast implants? Do my ovaries make me a woman? Again, if I have them removed, am I not a woman? You can't implant ovaries into a man. Does my period make me a woman? Again, something that is never going to be recreated with a sex change, even if that was what made me a woman. If my gender is a social construct (which it pretty much is), then why do you need to physically change your body to fit that?
    Again, I just don't understand physically mutilating perfectly healthy working parts. It's like cutting off my arms because I think should have been born without arms. If someone wants to cut off their arms, you send them to a psychiatrist. If someone wants to cut off their penis, you say sure, why not? You have to go to a psychiatrist still, but generally they'll rubber stamp it.
    Sorry, I'm usually pretty liberal, and I don't have any problems with trans people themselves. I just dont understand surgical sex changes. I think we're going to look back on this time a hundred years from now and think we were completely nuts and barbaric.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Again, goes back to being happy with yourself. If you know you don't wanna live with cock n' balls or a vag your entire life, why continue with it? Assuming successful surgery & maintenance is a viable option.

Sounders78 repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely get that. It is not something which I understand, not will I ever understand it. But part of my accepting of that is knowing that it is not a procedure that is elective such as breast enlargement or reduction, or a vasectomy or tubal ligation. Additionally, and from my perspective, when I was a teen figuring things out, mom told me that she didn't care what my orientation turned out to be, she just wanted me happy (this was in the context of her being in a unhappy relationship). All that I have taken to just accepting people for who they are, or who they feel they are. As long as they are happy.

As for what makes a male/female, that is not something which I think is related to the physical aspect of a being. Sure we have the x or y chromosome, but that is just physical gender, not identity. Why are two people who are x/y
    sexually attracted to different genders? Clearly there is something more in our bodies which drive attraction, which lead to procreation (the literal purpose of life and survival). It has been my contention for a while that the homosexual desires are a mutation of some kind which is not unusual. Yet I have two thoughts beyond that: 1. that homosexuality does not prevent procreation; 2. homosexuality is a benign mutation because it, in and of itself, does not prevent procreation as the most basic level. But going down that road, what does it mean to be in a romantic relationship? And, biologically, does that have anything do to hair color or skin color or gender or identify? If so, why are some people attracted to intelligence while others are attracted to beauty?

14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'd probably would want to hear what a trans persons thoughts on such surgery more than anyone else's.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the point. Those who want gender reassignment are not happy with their physical gender.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ignment-surgery-works/?utm_term=.28fd1b8a322a

How does one begin the process of changing one's sex?

Under the standards of care adopted by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), the first step usually is meeting with a mental health professional for a diagnosis and psychotherapy. A diagnosis of gender identity disorder or gender dysphoria and a letter of recommendation from the therapist allows a person to begin hormone therapy with a doctor. That is usually followed by a period of living publicly as a member of the opposite sex and, finally, surgery to alter the genitalia and other body parts.

The process, as recommended, takes at least a year.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, we need to get terms correct (this included myself, as I see if have not been doing so:

https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Second, I'm speaking with some knowledge having worked with a few students in transition (male to female), and having going though various trainings on said issue. But, in all cases, the one point which keep being harped on is the length of time the process takes.

As a side note, do you know it is less expensive to have the full process of gender reassignment than it is to have surgery for a heart attack?

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why people have such strong preferences on this. It's not a major drain on the economy, very few people are involved, and it doesn't hurt anyone else. I sit on the "let them do what they want to themselves" side of the aisle, mostly because in a world where we have millions of bigger problems, how one's junk is attached is so low on the totem pole.

song219, luftmensch, Boloni86 and 3 others repped this.
  18. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually don't give a flying fig what people to to themselves. Mine is more concern that we're doing them a giant disservice by encouraging them to have a surgery that will alter them forever with no possibility of reversion and possibly doing irreparable harm to their body, both surgically and hormonally. I'm seeing an endocrinologist right now and on meds, and let me tell you, most of them don't have a clue when it comes to hormones, even when that's supposed to be their specialty. We know so little about how hormones work in the body, especially female hormones, and then add that to unchartered territory with giving them to the opposite sex?

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't know the answer. Like our utility says - call before you dig

Ismitje and flowergirl repped this.
  20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but until we know, why not let them do them?

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should the military cover this?

It does breast implants so I can see why there is an argument for yes. Prisons? Where would we send them? Gender neutral prisons?

22. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you feel the same way about drugs? Let anyone take whatever experimental drug is out there for whatever they want even though we have no clue what the drug does? I mean, why not let people take it until we know if it kills them? Why do we even have an FDA or approved medical procedures?

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #23 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Not sure what the big deal is. It's an advanced form of cosmetic surgery. If some dimwit wants to look like a Barbie doll or Superman, who cares?

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Fail!

[​IMG]

chaski, song219, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the drug does what it prescribes and doesn't harm anyone else, why not?