"The torture is over for another week." OTT 38 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A journalist adamantly stated that Mourinho was going to be fired this weekend regardless of the result - but some stories now coming out that the Manure board is backtracking on that.

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #Mourinho-In

Wingtips1 and Suss repped this.
  3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Middle of the field at Wembley looks like crap.

When do Spurs finally move into their new digs?

4. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an ending in Dortmund!!! Wow. Hat trick off of the bench for Alcacer.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this score holds Mourinho is definitely getting fired.

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Mourinho is tired and actively looking to get sacked. Newcastle is a clutch of rubbish yet is leading 2-0.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle is utter garbage.

Letting Martial and Sánchez score to lose

3-2.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was dreadful from Newcastle, I agree. Seriously, you are gifted two goals and yet you keep playing utterly third-tier football. Could and ought to have been 5 up and out of sight. Newcastle cannot play defensive football as it doesn’t have good defenders.

10. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Keep Maureen in a job, anyway.

newterp repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    once again DeGea pulls off 3-4 great saves to keep Manure in the game, and provides them with 3 unearned points.

12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is what I said earlier - Rafa only knows one way of playing and is being punished for his reticence as he just doesn't have the players to execute his vision. If he had continued allowing his players to be a bit more adventurous instead of attempting to shut up shop at the first sight of danger they never would have lost. Quite frankly, the game has passed both he and maureen's tactics by.

Red Bird repped this.
  13. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    real are held scoreless for the 4th match in a row.
    bayern are thumped convincingly.
    barca haven't been pulling up trees.
    the scum are obviously sh*te.

There is plenty of opportunity to establish a new order in the game right now.
    Atletico certainly have the quality to make noise in the short-term, but they're built in Simeone's image and he doesn't have much longer there.
    citeh, the chavs, and psg have their plastic money and will try their best, with citeh having the best chance to actually make a lasting impact.
    Dortmund can be a major spoiler and they certainly seem as if they have their act together for the first time since Klopp.
    And finally, both us and juve have the history and fanbases to step into any breach that is created and really push for the major trophies over the next several years.

dcc134 and newterp repped this.
  14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to agree— he’s almost as bad as Mourinho in that he shackles his players. Man U was there for the taking but Newcastle didn’t seem to know how to exploit it because it also largely plays a conservative game even when opportunities are on. He’ll take Newcastle down if he remains like that, a combination of poor players and tactical inflexibility on the manager’s part.

15. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arsenal are starting to look really strong

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fulham.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    until the next 3 games. Juve and Chelsea aren't exactly Newcastle. nor are Everton. my guess is the torture will definitely be continuing. :)

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are winning - but you have to look at the teams they have played in this stretch - it's pretty grim. They are still regularly getting cut apart at the back.

That said - they will do better that people give them credit for as they have a strong attack, but the defense will be their undoing over the season.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    9 wins in a row is impressive regardless of who it is against. Everyone wrote them off after losing their first two games, and it has been a brilliant response.

Meanwhile, Hazard gets another goal. He is playing the best football of his career and scoring goals at a higher rate than he ever has.

20. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ings missed a sitter for Soton, which of course led to Chelsea scoring a goal. For about 5-8 minutes the Saints looked like they might make a match of it. Chelsea have dominated otherwise.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. I think too many conclusions were drawn on the basis of the first few matches. Recall, to win the league, you have to beat the type of teams which Arsenal is beating.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hazard talking about moving to Spain:
    Chelsea’s Eden Hazard has channelled the Clash in trying to explain just how torn he is over whether to do one to Real Madrid. “Sometimes in my head, I wake up in the morning and think I want to go,” he Joe Strummered. “Sometimes I think I want to stay.
    It is a hard decision.”

talking this openly = he's made up his mind. hopefully he'll go soon.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal is currently conceding more xG than they are creating, so they'll pay for that eventually.

Interesting watch the Barca/RM/Bayern struggles from a far.

Temporary blips or are we on the cusp of a realigning of the Euro power structure?

Before Messi/Ronaldo pushed them to a higher level, both of those clubs were usually back in the pack with everyone else. Its only been the last decade they've really separated themselves. Bayern hasn't found the replacements for Robben or Ribery have an aging squad is desperate need of a refresh.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    maybe, maybe not -- this talks about how big clubs across Europe struggle after each WC ....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...yern-jurgen-klopp-pep-guardiola-a8574106.html
    Liverpool and Manchester City exemplify the usual struggles title challengers face after World Cups - and the same is visible across Europe

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WC may have something to do with it, but Germany, Spain and Argentina all went out early, and they make up the bulk of the squads of RM, Barca and Bayern. At RM, Modric is probably crocked after his WC and at 32 is unlikely to reach those heights again. I think those squads have aged past their sell by date and the clubs have done a pretty poor job turning them over effectively.

LFC, City and Chelsea are on pace for 90+ points. Our fatigue has more to do with our schedule than the WC, as most of our boys were back early enough to get a real rest.

Wingtips1 repped this.