The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think the biggest improvements to be made on this team are real, good, 2-way fullbacks. Somi could get forward, but was shaky defending; Dielna was steadier in the back, but slower getting forward; Farrell gets forward, but usually ends up running himself into a trap or a useless back pass.

Bye has the potential to grow into the position and improve. Farrell is maddening - can look great on one play and then make an atrocious blunder on the nest.
    Yes, Caldwell, in a role he's comfortable in is very, very reliable with the ball and his passing - but, he too often falls back on the safe play, not the pass that can unbalance a defense.

Jon Martin and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  2. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen that in him as a pro and I think it started under Heaps where he was put in the DM slot and told to possess the ball. Having watched him as a younger player this is a totally different role than he played his whole youth career. He was always an attacking player who could find that attacking pass.

He is also the kind of player who is going to do his best to play the role defined by the coach even if it does not fit his strengths. I just don't know if he has been freed up to attack the way he did in his youth.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah Revs FO, you never let me down.

After the screw-up two weeks ago saying we were playing LA at home, all STHs got an email today saying "After Almost A Month, Revs Return to Gillette Stadium This Saturday!"

rkupp and dctrbnsttr repped this.
  4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

RevsLiverpool, Jon Martin and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Why does Kyle McCarthy of NE Soccer Journal come on the Counter Attack show on SiriusXM regularly and hardly EVER talk about the Revs. They must have some agreement not to ask him about them...or the Revs are that irrelevant. They asked him about both NY teams, Columbus, Chicago, and DC. Then they switched to the west. :eek:

6. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a national scale, the Revs are irrelevant. Why would a random fan in any other part of the country care about them right now? They suck and will probably lose 80% of their remaining matches. The Revs just aren't interesting right now to outsiders. Soccer fans around the country don't care about their future transfers or Freidel's plans (maybe they will after the season); they want to talk about playoff races and DPs.
    If you want Revs talk, just listen to Six States One Podcast - they provide plenty of commentary and insight regarding the Revs and its not sugar-coated like the club produced crap.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Our one All Star rep was Wilfred Zahibo. Do you think anyone outside New England cares how he is doing?

The Revs have fallen 4 points below the playoff line, and they haven't even hit the hard part of their schedule yet (September).

Summer swoon + no superstars = zero interest

8. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Yet, "zero interest" still/continues to have no material impact on attendance/ticket sales. Huh.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The "zero interest" was, in context, referring to outside of New England.

The interest from within New England remains unchanged:
    1. Diehard supporters
    2. Families looking for entertainment, care little about the on field product
    3. Fans coming to see other teams' superstars

RevFan and tsb11 repped this.
  10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    And that diehard supporter group isnt gettin an bigger

TOAzer and Crooked repped this.
  11. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Exactly. New supporters are brought into the fold but they're just replacing others who have become disenfranchised after years or disappointment and stopped going to games.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so close to there..........

Crooked repped this.
  13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm am solidly there. Have been for 18 months. It's not like I could root for another team. I would also come back if they gave me a signal that they woke up one day, did an almighty facepalm, and committed themselves to more than mediocrity.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    As I watch unused crosses loft into the area game after game, for some reason I find myself wondering how old friend Kei is doing.

TOAzer repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei has 11 goals and 4 assists in 1546 min. Teal has 11/3 in 1962.

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a517dogg repped this.
  17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon, I'm about two years ahead of you. I haven't been to a game for two years, but haven't missed one on TV. I actually got tickets for a September game a couple of months ago, before the swoon (maybe I caused the swoon, ducks:p).

TOAzer repped this.
  18. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    That's a close description of me also.

I attended first home game ever, made it to a bunch of games first few seasons. Still have 1st NE Revs game ever on VHS tape (the old channel 68 (or was it 66?), anyone?), became a season ticket holder when I could afford to a few years later, and after a long spell as season ticket holder, I think I've been to one game in past two years.

But I do record and watch each game...

...and hope for better - every game, every season.

Revs in 2010 and pwykes repped this.
  19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to a game in recent years--not because I didn't want to but now that I'm functionally blind I can't drive to games and no one whose a regular lives near me. However, my wife is about to retire and we will be considering again becoming season ticket holders again.

As a Rev fan since they were established I have seen the team go from hprrid to fair tp a real contender to being in constant turmoil like its been since we lost Twellman et al. ---and its made made no impact on my interest in the team. I'm just a Rev fan--pure and simple ---in the good years and the bad. I pay little attention to the constant debate about Bob Kraft as an owner and when and where we will have a new stadium.

I just pay attention to the simple reality that I have a team to follow that play in a league that slowly maturing and there are thoiusands of fans like me who love to watch them play.

All that having been said I do think the Krafts are interested in the Revs succeeding. I do think the Krafys are actively working on getting a downtown stadium. I believe the Krafts will rebrand the team and provide sufficient funds to have the team that moves into the new stadium to again be a contender.. I asp believe that it's the very nature of being sports fans that no matter what the Krafts do, who the coach is, who the Revs sign, what their record is. etc etc etc--- there will be a constant din of complaints about everything having to do with the franchise ---but then thats what out is to be a fan----atic :)

Hope tp see all my old peeps at a trail-gate next Spring . Its been much too long

20. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Pretty much my case too but I’m no longer as religious about watching the games. It’s really unfortunate that they’ve lost so many die-hard fans.

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Credo of Doc, from the Book of Revolutions, cast into the laic language:

" I Believe in One Kraft, Glorious and Mighty! I Believe in the Father, the Son, the Burns'ing Fire and the Brady Jokes! I Believe in the Resurrection of The Team, and of Righteous Play Everlasting in the Time to Come! ..... and as for those Writhing in the Slough of Despond, Bound in Chains in Castle Despair!? Let Ye Heathen Rage, For thine Name is Legion !!".......

Well, Doc, it's just fantastic you are a fanatic...but the Revs still are in a heap of suck in ol' Bradway. ;)

pwykes and rkane1226 repped this.
  22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was channel 68 (and 27 in spanish). I was at the match and also recorded it (but didn't think to keep it, dammit). Too bad the ownership doesn't realize the big chunk of their passionate fan base that is in our situation.

23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Unfortunately, a "big chunk of the passionate fan base" is still a small number of people.

The Revs made their bed long ago in terms of focusing on other segments of the marketplace, and not on hard core fans.

I guess their business models indicated a better payback by fielding a team that can pass the weak scrutiny of a more transient fanbase, as opposed to a team that can withstand the scrutiny of passionate fans and engaged local media.

24. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing, I happened to see Paul Mariner in the supermarket today, and I had to laugh -- he was wearing a Revolution t-shirt. Say what you will, you have to appreciate his loyalty to the franchise!

a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States