The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 RevsLiverpool, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Does that make him drift wood?
    Perhaps he's a better fit for the Timbers?

IThen again, Kraft does have a paper business.

My biggest concern is in MLS he may get fouled until he turns into pulp...

/Dadjokes (sorry! Wife just had twins so my jokes got exponentially worse) ;)

2. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hadn't thought of that, but I guess I'm unsure if theres a rule or "rule" about that.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Huge congratulations!! I hope your wife feels OK, and the babies are thriving.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate you for those jokes, but Congratulations to you and your family!

5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or he might go to Montreeal. Or if the league decides he's as big a player as Jermaine Jones, he could be assigned by lottatree.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies back in the Revs organization.
    1003661303045640192 is not a valid tweet id

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be the only one that finds this interesting, but shows we don't have a lot of youth US-eligible-talent on this team right now.

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found that interesting also. You could view it 2 ways really - Friedel is happy with his senior guys and just hasn't seen enough of the academy teams yet or
    He has and it's an indictment of the quality of the upper age level academy teams. Given Friedel's "youth first" rhetoric, hopefully by the end of the season that changes and we see a few young guys get minutes.

9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think Freidel is less youth first and more no old guys. With the exception of Claude Dielna, who is 30, all the guys seeing the field are in their 20's and are somewhere near their peak fitness. With the exception of Caicedo, Zahibo, and Fagundez, who are all less than 25, everyone else is in that 25-29 prime age range. It also explains why Somi got so much run, because BR was reluctant to rely on Tierny who is 32 and now done.

Looking this up I was surprised that Penilla is 27, I thought he was younger

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Agreed, an interesting/funny read.

One observation - as I read it, with all of the talk about MLS teams showing the love to a city in Maine, and with closing remarks about Portland ME not having any "top-level professional teams", and that Portland ME would "love to hear from a MLS team"...

...one could be excused for expecting some reference to at least the existence already of the "New England" MLS team. Felt odd that there was no mention, especially given the quotes attributed to the mayor and to the the social media editor for the Portland Press Herald.

The article is all in fun, but even so, still a little strange.

12. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Also worth noting that I was likely predisposed to seeing a slight to the team where none was intended given the number of omissions of the Revs team, and ommissions of their individual players, by both the league and by the media this past week. I don't track this stuff, don't have an axe to grind - I just happened to pick up on this as a trend on Twitter recently.

In addition to the post above re: the Maine article - here's a few from just this week, where the Revs, or a Revs player, was omitted from the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...wledges-pride-soccer-all-pregame-tifo-display
    Original version of the article had no Revs content. It was added in only after MLS was called out.
    Cathal was one person who called this one out: -

https://theathletic.com/376895/2018...anders-emerged-as-bostons-homegrown-products/
    No Revs mentions. But that's not too unexpected, as mainstream media often leaves MLS out of the "all sports" articles.
    Cathal also caught this one:

Um, where is Teal of the Eight Goals?
    The Revs themselves called out MLS for this oversight, as did a lot of fans. NE fans have Teal's back! -

https://twitter.com/kburke24/status/1003645002600407041
    https://twitter.com/DGreekD/status/1003638101841993728
    https://twitter.com/veronica_burke/status/1003635823135346688
    https://twitter.com/Kyburke54/status/1003690820275458048
    Apologists, kinda-sorta -
    https://twitter.com/ajvsell/status/1003638623009492996
    ...but if MLS is really cheerleading for the GPG stat, then maybe put that stat in the graphic....instead of just goal count. (?)

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect he was hinting at the revs as in, why not play a USOC game in Portland? It's a valid question. If the revs can play USOC matches in Ludlow or CT they can play in Portland.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #89 RevsLiverpool, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    I saw Teal's omission too. In fairness maybe for brevity and space on social media they excluded him, although since he was the only player on 8 goals left out, it was very odd. Either way glad it was pounced on by fans and the team. We need to call out MLS and Matt Doyle or any of the rest of the league pundits if they mock or ignore the revs. Even Twellman is fair game as he throws shade to his old team sometimes.

In general, I'm glad revs fans are becoming more vocal. To be respected we need to speak up. It shows we care. I am not afraid to call out the local sports guys on Twitter if dinosaurs like Lynch or Burton mention all Boston sports teams but omit the revs. Sometimes they are mentioned outside the sports segment which is great. Eric Fisher on WBZ mentioned the weather for last week on his weekend weather report and I was happy about that. There's no reason each of the Boston stations couldn't mention weather for revs games like they do for the Sox/pats. It's the small stuff that over time will hopefully become second nature to them.

a517dogg repped this.
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman will barely even admit to playing for the Revs. If you take out that part of his career, what has he got? A handful of meaningless caps and a stint with a Bundesliga reserve side. John DeBrito had a more meaningful career than that!

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Twellman as a player but since he's retired he's big timed the revs. He doesn't have to go national pundit Homer like Bruschi with the pats but sending the revs some love when they deserve it would be nice. They did make his career after all.

a517dogg repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should use that expression! That was one of his favorite phrases as a player. That and obviously, "obviously"!:ROFLMAO:

18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the way Twellman “treats” the Revs just shouts out, “There is a whole, unknown to the public, back story here that everyone would love to know.”

A Casual Fan, RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's given them the compliments when they've deserved he (he raved about this team with JJ on it, he also said he liked the Friedel hire). It's not like he's gone after them like he did after DCU a couple of months ago.

rkupp repped this.
  20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    So, season nearly half gone, had been meaning to post this earlier, even before the season -

For years I have subscribed to the Revs calendar (i.e.,their game schedule) under "Other Calendars of Interest" in Google Calendar. So, all of their games would just automatically show up on my Google calendar.

For some reason, the Revs calendar in Google never populated this year. My understanding is that number of other soccer calendars didn't either.

Has anyone else here been a user of this? And did you run into the same thing? Did it ever get corrected for you? If not, do you have an alternative or workaround?

See the discussion on the topic (including the debate over some of the suggested workarounds) here:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/fxLBaxteuiw
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/81ej43/google_calendar_calendars_of_interest_for_mls_no/

Thanks for any suggestions.

21. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have also used it for years and it populated my calendar fine this year.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it probably doesn't mean much to most, but I'm rather upset that the Revs are shutting down their App. To get the data, now you have to download the Gillette Stadium App.

One major thing that's missing, the Revs app had all the information you'd need, including a full schedule. The Gillette App of course only shows home games.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Great news!

On the not-so-good news side, they are expanding to 48 teams. Get ready for more thrilling Panama-Tunisia matchups.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the end of the Hex as we know it... ;)

I like how Iran, instead of abstaining, voted for "none of the above".