The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the transient fans will love this idea. "Look, mommy, I got a scarf with the Pats logo and a funny American flag. Which team are we cheering for again?"

Meanwhile, the fans who actually give a crap get to be reminded that they really don't matter as much as the brand Kraft actually cares about.

He can take this scarf and use it to clean up after his next stop at the massage parlor.

a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I really don't think the idea was to tell people what sport the team plays. It's just an attempt to give it some local identity (I'm guessing). The highway department has been posting message boards with "use ya blinkah". Think they are trying to introduce drivers to their interior accessories? (well, maybe some!).

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What seems dumb to me is criticizing the team for everything they do, rather than focusing on what they do badly.

Surely this scarf will appeal to some people and not others. What's wrong with that?

I'm not crazy about it, but I'll take one if they haven't run out. I take some pride in being a faithful supporter of both teams.

Dr. Sneezy and KapeGuy repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big picture is that they just don't think things through. A Revs scarf giveaway is actually a great idea at a Revs game, and they'll surely point to something like this to say "whaddayamean we're cheap and don't spend ont he team? You know how much it cost to do this?" Sure, if it was just a Revs scarf.

The Krafts have always been tone-deaf, but I don't think they have any clue that, while it's safe to say most Revs fans who have even the slightest interest in the NFL are happy the Pats have been so successful, but there is also an undercurrent of resentment that we simply don't matter in their eyes. A Pats "co-branded" scarf is just another reminder of that, and people who are primarily Revs fans aren't going to like it. They should understand that, but they don't.

But that's what happens when you have bean-counters, MBAs, quants and ROI experts to run the business metrics on everything, while none of those guys can actually put themselves in the fans' shoes. Like the time when the new CEO who was supposed to get the Revs all kinds of media exposure (I think he lasted less than a full season) came to the tailgate and got a cool reception when he kept flashing his diamond-studded super bowl ring and turned every attempt to talk Revs into a Patriots conversation.

Jon Martin, TOAzer, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry, this one just seems set up on a t-ball stand and is begging for the sarcastic retort: What is the difference?

While I know, objectively, they do some things “right,” I find that, on balance, the “badly” overwhelms the “right.” And that seems to have been the case for almost 10 years (last several SN + all of Heaps less a coinflip, + BF so far)

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly have not seen anything they do that is not done better by other teams

7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In summer they manage to get a higher percentage of attendance to be due to kiddie clubs than other teams?............;)

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They gave their season ticket holders a freakin' coaster for their gift. Now you can get a co-branded scarf for free. Whoopeeee!!

And you know better than to suggest that I criticize them for everything they do. Just like I know better than to say you approve everything they do.

9. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    If only the Krafts would take some pride in being the involved stewards of both teams.

(And, no, I'm not talking about the New England Patriots and the Boston Uprising.)

A Casual Fan, rkane1226 and pwykes repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Fair enough, but they didn't just give a 'coaster' to season ticket holders - the big deal is the away game trip. The coasters are just envelope stuffers.

Not specifically targeted at you, but I just don't get the complaint here. My reaction is more of a ho-hum. Sure, it would be nice to see something better (but the season's young). OTOH, I don't see any reason to be offended because the Pats and the Revs are represented on the scarf.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Patriots promotions also mention the Revs?

What % of Pats STH can mention even one "fun fact" about the Revs, such as a current player's name, how many times they've gone to the finals, the year they started, or more than 3 opponents?

pwykes repped this.
  12. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG how stupid is this!

That would be like giving out co-branded Atlanta scarves at an Atlanta Falcons game.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see next year's scarf with the e-sports team included!

TOAzer repped this.
  14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha!!!

I took the flier from the guy when I was exiting the stadium and when I saw the flying Elvis on there I threw it in the trash. So insulting to Rev's fans that when they do market the team, sometimes they conflate the Patriots and it's almost as if they are trying to promote the Pats through the Rev's crowd. I can't imagine they'd hand things out to Pat's fans promoting the Rev's logo. Such Shite.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the Pats need promotion! Not like they've been wildly successful over the last several years and have a waiting list for tickets or anything, like the Revs...

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd almost be OK with that. Trying to reach that younger audience and all.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article about Miles Robinson, and the writer posted a tweet related to him about the Revs Academy.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartford Athletic is 0-7 in the USL, 3 GF, 18 GA. Sounds like they would have made the perfect affiliate for the Revs!

To be fair, they haven't played a home game yet.

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS to expand to 30 teams; St. Louis, Sacramento to make formal bids

Reading that article I was struck by the irony that, in the not so distant future, MLS will be fielding nearly the same number of teams in their post-season playoffs as are in entire leagues around the world. The MLS regular season just seems to be a long protracted pre-season to me.

The NFL is only a 37.5% playoff participation with re-seeding of strongest regular season vs. weakest in every playoff round, making their regular season more meaningful to me. At 53% (NBA), and 52% (NHL), compared to MLS' 58%, many will claim that MLS isn't that different than those two. However, those fans are all guaranteed 4 post-season games and an additional 4 each time the team advances (IIRC both follow 7 game series formats). I might be able to embrace the MLS system as a fan if I thought I was likely to get a larger minimum of, supposedly exciting, post-season games.

When MLS takes 18 games into the playoffs (assume 58% of 30 will round up to 18 integer teams), maybe they could adopt a home-away playoff format where all teams play each other. The team with the most points would be crowned MLS champion. 34 post season games should provide ample entertainment. Maybe they could play 4-6 regular season games to determine the 18 that go through...

20. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this is redundant. Here is a link to the ESPN version of the article rkane mentions

21. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I thought I had added the link in the headline but obviously didn't...

Also, "When MLS takes 18 games into the playoffs" should have been, "When MLS takes 18 teams into the playoffs." But I can no longer edit the post to correct that.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'd have to go with 16 teams in the playoffs. The NHL and NBA have had that many teams in their playoffs for a long time, even when there were quite a few less teams in the leagues. Plus, 16 is the easiest number to whittle down a tournament with each round.

Unless you want to be like the Quebec Junior Hockey League, who also have 16 teams in the playoffs. The only thing is, they only have 18 teams total!

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #423 firstshirt, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Even then the first few games are at Rentschler field. Won't be in the new home until June/July
    [​IMG]

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe the Revs decided they were too much of a train-wreck to affiliate with this season.

25. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry to have to ask but which team is the train wreck in that sentence? The Revs or Hartford?