The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cackboy

cackboy Member

Feb 18, 1999
    NYC
    I don’t come here much any more since I got fed up with the Krafts and got a new team with its own stadium issues. But I wanted to dip in and comment on how happy it made made me to see Laro and (especially) Parky lift the Cup yesterday. I’ve always thought Parkhurst was underrated by the USMNT and should have been a Revs pillar for his whole career.

2. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing to me that anyone associated with the Revs could watch last night's game and not want to move Heaven and Earth to make that happen here.

And yeah, Atlanta has some advantages that the Revs can't do anything about, but there's so much they could be doing... but just aren't, for whatever reason.

Feldspar and dncm repped this.
  3. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Doubt that anyone associated with the Revs even bothered to watch the game.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase Dickens, with Atlanta being the first reference and New England the second, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, well other than saying 'we tried,' and we were this close to making the playoffs..."

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did a poll on Twitter about this. Perception = reality.
    1071793494442807296 is not a valid tweet id

TOAzer and pwykes repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! Why should we watch the game if our team isn't playing in it? To quote their former media relations person, "soccer is too boring."

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I didn't watch it either!

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, how many people who own an NFL team would pass on watching the Super Bowl? I bet all of them have their own suites at the game. Likewise for the owners of any team in any sport. Even with the World Series/Stanley Cup/NBA Finals, which stretches over several games, every team has a presence.

I dunno if the Krafts were at the game (I'd think they might be, and then take a quick flight to Miami the next day) or even watched it on TV, but I certainly hope they'd care enough about the league that they have invested countless $$ over nearly 25 years that they'd want to be involved in the league's showcase event.

But then again, there are a lot of things we might think would be the case with this team but aren't

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article above:
    So now we know who one of the "20 South Americans" was! Sand is still playing at age 38, and he had a cap for Argentina in 2008, so he must have been in pretty good form at the time we were supposedly in the running to sign him. He had scored 10 goals in 33 games for his Argentine club in the 2005-06 season.

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sand would have been the Twellman replacement. Instead we got Psycho Lekic.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he thought he was joining a club as big as Borussia Dortmund once he saw the stadium all decked out in the team colors!

When a guy's nickname is "Psycho," it usually isn't a great indicator of a stable presence or a calming leader

13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Posting this here to intentionally avoid resurrecting any of the sleeping Logo threads.

Maybe team is poking fun at itself. Maybe not.

TOAzer and a517dogg repped this.
  14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He would have been signed to play with Twellman, not replace him, given the timing mentioned in the article. Maybe he would have helped push us over the line to win a Cup or two.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the Krafts said no.

16. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #317 A Casual Fan, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Worth noting a media interest now in the Revs that could lead to more close coverage -- even if nothing comes of it later...

NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Micheal, you asked, so we will!

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Better spell his name right, though. ;)

20. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA

Well, Michael, if the release of the New England Revolution's 2019 schedule has you feeling "excited", that's clearly a sign that your "soccer knowledge and commitment must improve".

:p

A Casual Fan repped this.
  21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #321 patfan1, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    To the shock of no one, especially Mr. "Over Achievers" Kraft ... the 2nd worst of the original remaining teams in terms of points per season are your New England Revolution!.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    So, yes, in this tweet this NYCFC fan is throwing "ambition" shade at the Revs.But that's just color commentary wrapped around his main point.

I agree with his core sentiment - he is responding to other NYCFC fans who are essentially saying that it is just fine to "only" "make" the playoffs, anything beyond that is gravy and no one should express a desire for more or better. That to do so is "complaining" or is "negative".

Because I want this Revs team to compete for real for a Cup on some sort of regular basis - there's no way that is "negative". That's wishing for something positive to happen.

As part of that, discussing things that can be done better by the Revs to achieve that goal - well, I don't quite see how that is negative. Calling that negative or wrong - well, that's sort of "emperor has no clothes" syndrome. I'm seeing a lot of Revs "important fans" doing attitude policing on social media recently, not realizing they are buying into the "emperor/no clothes" thing. Or worse, they do realize it, in which case it is hard to understand their motivation.

I'd paste the "kitchen on fire/dog saying This Is Fine" meme here if I had it. (I think it is @Feldspar's avatar)

There's way too much acceptance by the management and by the fanbase of something that's not at all what it's marketed to be. You'd think a pro sports team wouldn't be able to get by on that (especially In TitleTown Boston). But...the Revs do. They get a pass by so many.

I am burning out on this team primarily due to this multi-year phenomena and the resulting sustained long-term cognitive dissonance it demands to continue functioning as a real, engaged fan.

Jon Martin, pwykes, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.
  24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

Twellman's comments today re: some MLS clubs "faking it" is in this same vein.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the whole "negativity" thing is something that has been tossed at me from time to time. I think I can speak for others who share this view, but the motivation is not to be snarky and clever, it's just that we care about the team and want it to be as good as it possibly can. Five times we went into a Cup Final and came out empty each time. That gnaws at me. Especially if you consider how "equal" the Revs would have been to the other teams in town during the same time frame. The Pats and Sox have won multiple titles and the Celtics and Bruins one each.If we had won even one of those 5 Cups, every team in town would have at least one championship in recent years, which is really an amazing feat. No other city has that.

I am not content with the status quo. I don't expect us to spend ridiculous money, but I do expect us to not be sluggards and slackers who are just going through the motions. I am optimistic that they signed Carles Gil and the Other Caicedo, and hopefully they will be at the level Penilla gave us last year. But Friedel has made lots of calls that seem like poor judgment, but I'm willing to give him another shot to see what he can do this year with "his" team.

At the end of the day, the opposite of "I love the Revs, right or wrong" is not "I hate the Revs," it's more like, "The Revs? Are they still playing down in Foxboro? Oh yeah, I guess their season will be starting soon...I used to care about them, but now, I don't even know who's on the team any more..."