The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    This year's offense...

(...at least initially -- because at some point the wheels came off and it devolved into pretty much nothing recognizable by season end...)

...seemed to be relying on the cross-into-the-box type of attack, which perhaps was far more suited to leveraging an asset like Kamara, than was the tiki-taka/spring-someone-loose-in-the-box approach (or, at least that was the intent, even if it seldom happened...) under Heaps in prior seasons..

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    ToMhIlL repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that one!

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many here who catch games in The Fort think -as I do- that our chants and songs have grown tired and hackneyed? I think we need a total refresh. In addition, some of our funniest ones go unused lately (like the Midwest is Full of Shit song) in favor of dumb ones getting repetition in games. I cite this example: "Goin' for the 3 point zone." Gahd, I can't stand that one!

Lastly, if someone knows the fine young man with the drum well, I appreciate his devotion but, please gently tell him that he hits his drum head out-of-time. He's always late with his accent. He needs to understand that he's driving us, not following us. He needs to hit the drum ever so slightly ahead of the beat. And right now, he slows down the chant with each rep.

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m beginning to believe the USSF is modeling their organizational neglect off the Krafts/Revs.

Sign a friggin’ coach already

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know it's going to be Berhalter. Now it's all about the news cycles. Doesn't make sense to announce it now with a game last night and another on Tuesday.

My guess would be either around Nov 28th, or a few days after MLS Cup.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was tempted to start a "Things Revs Fans Are Thankful For" thread until I realized all of the answers could be the basis of Revs Marketing and PR for the next 5 years.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being Chicago or Colorado isn't really a great accomplishment, but I guess we could be grateful that our owner didn't try to move us to some place that leads the country in neck-beards per capita.

Come to think of it, a Columbus situation might not be so bad. At least they will wind up with a new and better owner...

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm thankful that we have a local team, but thats about it. I'm pretty agnostic to the rest of the club

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya. I go to all the home games unless I absolutely can't but this year I found myself having to push myself to a couple of matches. It's lost its buzz lately. Thank you, Krapathy.

12. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of owners (and neckbeards)...
    Had a dream last week the Krafts sold the revs to John Henry and the guy from Boston who owns Roma, James Pallotta. They immediately git rid of Burns, gave Friedel full control as GM/coach, and made it clear they would play in Fenway while a SSS was being built. On the business side they hired a top class VP of Marketing and a legion of scouts.

The revs responded by winning the Cup and Shield with 25-30k urban neckbeards turning out every game. They even got a duck boat parade and the media acknowledged the team!

Alas, just a dream.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and I had a dream that I had a date with Sofia Vergara. I guess both dreams have about an equal chance of actually happening! :laugh:

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tsb11 and pwykes repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Cup Final attendance record (61,316 at Gillette Stadium in 2002) will most likely be broken this weekend in Atlanta.

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That record stood for 16 years - impressive in retrospect. Lots of bittersweet memories about that day. At the time, we were a pretty flawed team that got hot at the right time. We did have first pieces of the core team that would see us through most of the decade: Twellman, Ralston, Heaps.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the USSF was just about 8,760 hours late.

I don’t have any specific beef with Berhalter and I certainly hope he is going to be successful. Still, I think I am well within a reasonable interpretation of Greg’s resume when I ask for a USSF explanation of why we had to wait over a year for this announcement. Or, if you are a hair splitter, why we had to wait 5 months from the Ernie Stewart hire.
    Neither Greg nor Oscar Pareja have the kind of resume that argues for this wait.

Pathetic performance on the part of the USSF.

tsb11 repped this.
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If I had to guess (not defending or criticizing the move), I'd say it was because he wanted to see out the season with Cbus.

But, regarding the move, I'm very disappointed that we didn't get Martino (not sure if we ever seriously went after him). It just seems that after the Klinsmann disaster, we just reflexively fall back to the we need an American coach mantra.

We've tried foreign coaches, yes, but not the right (i.e., top-level) coaches. Martino has a ton of International and WC experience, as well as MLS experience. What a fail. We've invested in mediocrity.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the rumors that they didn't even interview a lot of candidates, especially those with some serious chops, is what gets me. Nothing necessarily wrong with this hire, but it doesn't exactly scream "due diligence."

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, be fair! They only had 13 months to do due diligence! :)

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think Martino would have better luck than Klinsmann? IMO he would be JK 2.0

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to Greg is he wanted to finish his Columbus season. But again, his resume is not impressive enough, for me, to warrant another 5 months coachless after already living about 8 months that way.

In thirteen months, several guys like Martino should have been interviewed and seriously pursued.

He doesn’t strike me as arrogant as JK. I think he would either pick players that fit a system or a system that fits the best players. I don’t believe he’d constantly be playing people out of position.

25. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Wilson said ..."you gotta kick it, not step on it."....(name it)

Minutemanii repped this.