The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Thread Lucky 13 (XIII).

So, something made me think of Osei yeserday, and with that came a fond recall of his flying kicks in the penalty area that simultaneously were like watching beautiful fireworks but at the same time a lot like watching the car ahead of you on the highway veer precariously close to the guardrail or embankment. i.e., Either a visually impressive play, or a PK waiting to happen.

A few others with that same "flying dropkick" or "irrepressible urge to bicycle as much as possible" thing going on -
    Darren Sawatzky
    Mauricio Wright
    Osei
    Twellman
    Farrell​

All of them were/are liberal user of "both boots off the ground". Some used them in a controlled manner, some less so - but I recall thinking (at least once for each of them) that if I were on the pitch with any of them, that I would be cautious at all times to keep my face/head as far away from that guy for as much of the game as possible.

I think I recall Sawatzky in particular really driving the toe or cleats of his boot with a spectacular full force aerial roundhouse into the side or back of someone's head in a game, in a situation that NO ONE anticipated that such an aerial display would ever be warranted. Really looked like the kick used to split multiple boards in a karate recital. Don't recall who that poor guy was.

There are probably a few other Shaolin Soccer greats I am overlooking....

[​IMG]

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Am I asking too much when I ask, so what's going on with that De La Torre kid?

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing here but I doubt he's coming, at least before the midsummer window. The revs are stacked with attackers so there's no room to play him and he's probably not going to unseat Diego or either winger. I can't imagine Fulham would loan him out without some assurances of playing time.

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been too many years of marginal performance for me to ever feel comfortable with a sentence that says “The Revs are stacked with...” unless that sentence is going to end with “incompetent <insert front office or ownership position>.”

pwykes repped this.
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think the Revs are that interested in short-term loans. Unless there were a purchase option or a multi-year loan, I doubt they'd be interested. We are rebuilding - band-aids aren't really going to help.

Watch them prove me wrong ... :p

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Just wow. What a shoddy piece of journalism. All he does is whine about not having an SSS, which has very little to do with why the Kraft's are the worst owners.

Did he even read the original article that he references?

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must have been a really shoddy article, because they took it down already!

The downside of modern "journalism" is that literally anyone can throw up a horrendous piece of crap masquerading as an "article," and it somehow looks legit at first glance. A crappy article that uses a correct premise is still a crappy article. And Jonathan "Don't Call me Uday" Kraft can point to it and use it to bash anyone who has legitimate, fact based criticism of his third-rate operation.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was pretty horrid.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How to watch MLS matches in 2018
    April 12, 2018, 9:00AM EDT
    MLSsoccer staff

MLS Live has been taken over by ESPN+

It's $4.99/mo, but the link above offers a 30-day free trial.

Also,

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Sports Journal has finally hired someone full time to cover the Revs. Actually they've hired two people, one reporter and one analyst. I've now subscribed to help show that I want the coverage. Hope others do the same (only $35/year).

dncm and a517dogg repped this.
  13. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On on board too. Actually, I was on board with them before.
    It's worth noting that the site's publisher, Greg Bedard, made it clear in an editor's note that this is basically an experiment and it's not going to work unless Revs fans subscribe. So, this is a real chance to show that there is an audience for genuine Revs coverage.

patfan1 repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it more opinions or is it news-based? Kraft interviews? New angles we haven't analyzed to death here?

I want to give it a try but I'm skeptical it's any deeper or more insightful than Bent Musket or the revs website.

dncm repped this.
  15. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've hired two people to cover the Revs. Here's what they've done so far:
    https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/category/new-england-revolution/

And here's Bedard's https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/04/13/asked-revolution-coverage-come-bsj/

I'd say the coverage, so far, is similar to what BSJ does with the other teams. Besides, we spend so much time whining about how little coverage there is of the Revs, it's worth supporting a publication that is willing to try.

LD42, patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    So Taylor Twellman and my boy Adrian Healey are commenting on the Onion vs. Orlando match. Healey says that there is an emerging consensus the the East has all the best teams this year. Twellman emphatically agrees - says (I'm paraphrasing here) "Lets take Toronto, Atlanta, and NYCFC off the top right off the start. Red bulls looked really good in the Champions' League and will be a contender. Then Orlando and Philadelphia look good to be 5 and 6." A moment later, he says "...Oh, wait a minute. How could I forget? Columbus Crew is looking really good!"

Are the Revs no-hopers, or does Taylor have a bit of a hate-on for Revolution?

a517dogg repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor Twellman: brilliant soccer player. Legendary rev. Idiot pundit. He's a clueless moron, and that's not just for his anti-revs sentiment.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  18. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Look at Matt Doyle’s preview of all MLS action this week. Revs get a couple sentences. Everyone else gets paragraphs.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way Twellman will even admit to having any association with the Revolution is if he was subpoenaed by a grand jury and made to testify under oath.

pwykes, dncm and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Or when he needs to promote/market his concussion stuff [I keed, I keed - I know that is a very low blow] ;)

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Is it just me or does this sound defensive?

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it
    I took it as a clarification, but it could be, sure.

25. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    And I intend to play the lottery until I win the big one, no matter how many times I'm asked or have to say it.

Sheesh, already.

TOAzer repped this.