The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good summary of the State of the Revs. While the author does a good job of documenting specific moments that lead to the sorry state where we are, those are micro-moments. There is a much bigger picture he barely touched upon.

In his Kamara point, he mentions that Kai hasn't really been able to fit into Heaps' "system." But maybe Heaps isn't imaginative or creative enough to figure out how to tweak his "system" to take advantage of a guy who has scored 20+ goals in previous seasons.

He also mentions depth, or lack therof, which is something that everyone here has been concerned about for a long time. The fact that the Revs are too lazy, cheap, incompetent or a combo of all 3 is the real culprit here, and that falls squarely on Burns. I don't want to hear how they are "definitely" interested in signing a key player this window. Meanwhile, one of the headlines on the MLS website says that Minnesota hopes to sign 4-5 players! Even if they sign 3 players, it will be at least 2 more than the Revs will sign.

VTSoccerFan and dncm repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related article on Revs site (also on MLSsoccer.com news feed):
    https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...rd-united-bid-committee-canada-mexico-and-usa

It is sad that Kraft gets on the MLS news feed for things like this more often than he does for things related to the Revs.

dncm repped this.
  5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this kinda like getting an Honorary Degree from a college? A superficial title that doesn't really mean anythng and doesn't require any work?

Oh well, at least if we win the bid (which is ludicrous with 3 countries, BTW), Foxboro should get some games....

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Revs still be in Foxboro by 2026?

Will Belichick still be coaching, ensuring that there is still turf in Foxboro?

7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it matters where the revs are playing in 2026; the Krafts' first soccer love was always the World Cup. They desperately want it back. By being an honorary chairman, it's Kraft's thinly veiled attempt to ensure Foxboro gets to host.

9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    FYP
    edit: dang, can't do strikethrough?

NateP and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw that Kai K got fined by MLS for wearing "truesox". Other high profile players and wearing them as well. Looked at them on Amazon; amazingly expensive. What makes them special? As an 80 year old marathoner I'm aways looking for an equipment upgrade that can compensate for the natural degradations that come with age. Do any of you have first hand experience with these sox?

11. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    888177080093028354 is not a valid tweet id

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what makes these socks specialcial?

13. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only assumption is that players are expected to wear Adidas?

This is so petty to fine players for something so innocuous. Kei also makes a pretty good point that its not a fair and balanced. These kind of things will affect a players mentality, and maybe there were more of these little fines and punishments behind the scenes we don't know about.

14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also lol on Kei Kamara being a high profile player!

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better grip, shot control and cushioning.

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Great article by Grant Wahl on these socks ("great article on socks" yeah - but it is). It's from 2015.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...der-armour-nike-adidas-kevin-bill-plank-usmnt

Well he's a DP, so...

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video Review set to be introduced in MLS competition beginning August 5
    July 20, 2017, 12:57PM EDT
    Simon Borg

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But no one has ever heard of those obscure guys who play their home games in a foreign country and represent another on the international stage. Apparently the 4th largest market in the league is some backwater where players can toil away in obscurity.

EDIT: Got no beef with them implementing changes like video review, but whut thu hail, can't they just have it start at the beginning of a new season? There was another rule change that they implemented mid-season a couple of years ago. Just because this is in between seasons in Europe and it makes snese for them doesn't mean we should do it at the same time.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats to the NPSL folks in New Haven:

[​IMG]

20. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've been gone from live Revs games for a couple years, but I'm planning on taking my 2-year-old son to his first game for the September 23rd TFC game (my wife really misses seeing the Revs at Gillette). We've warmed him up to live sports by taking him to a Seacoast United game and a New Hampshire Fisher Cats (baseball) game, and I'm pretty sure he can last the full 2 hours.

I know a few people on here have young kids - is there any specific section I should buy that best fits a fidgety 2-year-old? He does best when he has some room to roam. I guess basically I'm looking to buy tickets to the emptiest part of the stadium where surrounding viewers will make the least fuss about him. If anyone else has some parenting tips for this kind of experience, I'd appreciate it.

a517dogg repped this.
  21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is mind blowing. I know MLS owners want absolutely nothing to do with promotion relegation but god damn, this level of money is a pure game changer. They would instantly vault into the top handful of leagues for revenue and could allow MLS teams to out spend almost any league outside of the top 3-4 and then a smattering of individual teams beyond that.

The money is so big it makes me wonder if they considered usurping USL, creating MLS2 with a limited promotion relegation...

23. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hate it when major rules changes are applied mid-season. Couldn't they wait until the start of next season? Couldn't they wait until the process is a bit more refined?

I know MLS likes to be at the forefront of these types of changes, but this could have waited. It was far from perfect during the Confed Cup and I'd hate to see it ruin a playoff game or decide a playoff spot.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Bob Kraft would ever go for something like this where his team could get relegated?

I have a feeling Silva knew that they would say no, and so made the offer just to get some attention.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would mean actually putting a little more effort and money into the team to assure they stay in the bottom half of the top league without getting relegated. This brings a whole new level to being consistently mediocre!