The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'd think my bosses were "awesome" too if they left me alone and never asked tough questions or made "push the envelope" demands of me, while giving me unlimited job security and a good salary. What's not to like?

Seriously, I've heard more than a few times about how the Krafts do a lot of stuff "behind the scenes," which all may be well and good, but let's get real. No one writes a "worst owners in the league" type article without some semblance of accuracy. When that came out, Jonathan poo-pooed it, questioning the guy's credibility as a journalist, etc. But at no time did he even attempt to refute any of the points he made in his article. It would have been a perfect time to trot out some specific examples of the "behind the scenes" stuff they allegedly do, rather than a blanket statement of "he doesn't know what he's talking about." And it wasn't just the Boston Mag article, other media folks have commented (some more publicly than others) about the Krafts' lacklustre approach to running this team.

So it comes down to one of two things: Either the Kraft empire is completely tone-deaf, have no clue whatsoever on the basic concept of public relations, or all of this "great owners" crap is just a ludicrous party-line, and they are more full of crap than Tony Meola's colon 3 hours after Thanksgiving dinner.

3. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    We are one of 4 remaining teams in the league without an away win. The other 3 are Houston (who has ridden their 7-0-1 home record to 1st in the west), Minnesota and Colorado.

4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This attack on Tony Meola's colon is uncalled for. That thing's been through a lot.

a517dogg and BrianLBI repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each team gets to have 8 players on the All Star ballot.

List of 176 players nominated by media to the 2017 MLS All-Star Fan XI vote
    May 30, 2017, 7:00AM EDT
    MLSsoccer staff

The 8 Revs on the ballot are:

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far more interesting logos in the lower divisions. Boston City's is nice, with the skyline and the classic lion. That Hartford crest looks like an alligator emerging from either an EU or Alaska flag imagry, on the backdrop of an Eastern Orthodox church or a mosque minaret with a Ferrari horse on top. I woner what the symbolism of that is?

No matter what the reasoning is, it has to be better than some of the drivel recent designers of MLS logos have come up with. Vancouver put little light blue triangles on their jersey to symbolize rain. DC United made their eagle look like a bird version of Jessica Rabbit. Other designers have used the most drivel-ous terms to describe their alleged creations, like "minimalist concept" and "represents the dynamism and energy of..."

Still, the USL logos work much better than the toddler-drawn flag.

8. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    It's the top of the Colt building (as in the gun manufacturer) in Hartford. There's a dome that sits on top of the old factory

[​IMG]

I'd guess the animal is also a horse, but it's pretty abstract.

ktsd and NFLPatriot repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, a distinct landmark that resonates with locals. I guess it's better than trying to imply that large water-based mammals actually swum up the Connecticut River, like another team from that city. Or that Rastafarians were excellent skaters who could stickhandle better than some bomba-clot from Saskatchewan!

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win for Boston City tonight as they took over first place in their division, beating Hartford City 3-1 at home.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pats had their Super Bowl ring ceremony recently and Kraft handed out Super Bowl rings with 283 diamonds - the most bling of any SB rings in history.

I was curious how much that would cost so I found an article that valued the Pats' SB 49 rings, did the math for the SB51 rings and my jaw hit the floor.

The pats SB49 rings were fitted with 205 diamonds and were valued at $36,500 each. Kraft paid for 150 of these rings, working out to spending $5.475 million out of his pocket on rings, according to ESPN.

This year the rings were even gaudier, outfit with 283 diamonds. Doing the math on a cost per diamond, these rings would be worth approx $50,388 each. Multiply by 150 like SB49 and you're looking at $7.558 million spent. On Super Bowl rings.

For context, this year's entire revs roster salary is approx $5.407 million base / $5.8 million comp, according to the Denver Post. One SB51 ring costs only $3k less than what Josh Smith makes this entire year.

Granted, I did read this year's Super Bowl rings were paid for by the NFL, not Kraft. But the SB49 rings came right out of our owner's pocket.

Basically, Kraft could fit the entire revs roster literally on his ring finger. We should remember this when people come on here defending the Krafts.

a517dogg repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why 283 diamonds? Because the Pats came back from being down 28-3.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the revs come back from being down 3-0, I will expect at least 30 diamonds.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I find this awesome in terms of the scope of what it says (and reinforces) about the Kraft's stewardship of Revs.

The Patriots are his "team". The Revs aren't a "team" to him - they are more akin to simply a series of debits and credits in a ledger, or a footnote to a line item on a balance sheet. The Kraft's emotional investment is deep in the former, and is nowhere to be found for the latter.

Ownership needs to have some emotional attachment to a "team" if they truly want it to thrive. But - ain't nearly enough here for Revs.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'know, a few people have come out and said, "nuh-uh, you're wrong, the Krafts are great owners and they care a LOT about the Revs."

OK, so give me one example, just one, of how they've done all this behind the scenes stuff than no one knows about. Either that, or someone else will write another "worst owners inteh league" article, and they certainly don't wan't that.

19. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan

Rennicks with a goal.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay, another thing we can wait up to 12 months for! But in seriousness, at least they're finally (s l o w l y) getting it.

21. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    I'll remain skeptical until they actually hire someone, since they've left themselves an out...

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems Jonathan K. Has been to every home game lately. Is he beginning to feel the joy and anguish the same as we do? Could it mean a more passionate ownership?

a517dogg repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, he's gotten "fan-like" in the past. I remember after a physical game (loss) to the MetroStars, he referred to them as "a bunch of thugs," which is the kind of thing any emotional fan might say in that situation.

Given the name of our opponent, it shows you how long ago it was. Not like much has changed in the grand scheme of things.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution's July 22 match to air on NBC Boston
    June 21, 2017, 11:10AM EDT
    revolutionsoccer.net

25. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To piggy back on Tom's comment, I think he's been at most games for the past couple of years. I think the CSNNE crew has "spotlighted" him more recently -- maybe in response to the criticism of the ownership.