The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way the Patriots have spent like a drunken sailor on shore-leave this off-season, I'd like to request that Revs fans now stop with the Pats comparisons to how they spend to the Revs. I know it won't happen, but it's worth a try.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone ever listen to the Revs' Far Post Podcast?

3. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has forum activity gone down the last few years? I Haven't visited in awhile, but it seems like active than I remember

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really tough to talk about a team that doesn't really give you much to talk about, sadly.

There are some threads that get active at times, but in general, it's definitely gotten more quiet. Many places like Twitter work better for quicker reactions. I like these boards personally because sometimes it's not easy to really explain or discuss something about the Revs in 140 characters.

5. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to years ago, but I found it to be corny and way too sunshine and rainbows.

If anyone knows of any other Revs-centric podcasts, I'd be glad to try. The Midnight Ride was really good, but seems to be on an extended hiatus since the middle of last year. The Soccercast from WEEI is decent, but they are huge Europhiles and seem to think MLS is on par with the 3rd division Iraqi league. Plus their constant "THE MLS" is like nails on a chalkboard.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think many people with opposing viewpoints (KADs?) weren't treated very well and have moved on (or at least don't post very often). As a result, the board has become one-dimensional (and less interesting) as a result, IMO.

Jon Martin, Revolusean and Brazile repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Many many NNNs are also gone. Seems to me that overall interest in the team amongst the initial set of more hard-core fans has declined since 1996 because of real or perceived lack of results on many fronts. i.e., too many decades waiting for whatever results each individual fan is waiting to see. Many of the stalwarts on this board were here in the first decade, and they and the threads they carried have departed.

That, and the proliferation of other social media platforms - reddit, twitter, etc.

I dont think the NNNs "won" BigSoccer, as compared to KADs. Many in both camps are no longer here.

Jon Martin and Crooked repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money grab for the Krafts!

JDEsq09 repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it is for that reason I call them "The Weei Weei"...;)

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 RevsLiverpool, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Good article on Cliff Rucker, the owner of the new Worcester ECHL team. He strikes me as a perfect fit for the city and seems genuine both his approach to business and life.

Specifically, this:

“This has two legs,” he continued. “First leg, community. Being all about the community and doing the right things. Making a positive impact. Setting a good example. The second piece, and I mean this, once again, I am hardwired, I want to win. Most people say that doesn’t matter, it’s family entertainment. It matters to me. I want to win. That’s it. Those are my two points. Everything else is a detail. I want to win. It’s a professional sport. People are paid to do this for a living, it’s a full-time job. I want to win.”

Wish he could translate this to the revs somehow.

NFLPatriot and a517dogg repped this.
  12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you were on the fence about a road trip to Columbus: Beer Hotel

patfan1 repped this.
  14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.us/story/3095669/...-says-la-galaxy-can-be-good-without-big-stars

"I always say, and maybe I can see it from a different eye -- I played in New England, I played in Colorado where you don't have the pressure and nobody really has the eye on you. 'Oh surprise, they made it almost to the final' or 'They made it to the final.' No, LA starts the season, everybody says: 'You have to go to the final.' That is the pressure that you have and everybody has to understand that."

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can use that quote to help us recruit players. See, when you come to New England, most people have no expectations whatsoever!

a517dogg repped this.
  16. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    :rolleyes:

17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do all the time. It's not because it's good, it's not. It's because there is scant other Rev's content out there so I'll listen. This podcast is cheaply produced, the dialog is infantile at times and they veer off on unrelated tangents often. But, hey, I'm infantile, and I like the little Howard Sternesque sound affects and the bro atmosphere. It can be funny at times and they are sufficiently self effacing so that you can put up with them. Jeff Lemieux, is affable and keeps it moving along -even though the 3 times I've met in person he's been an aloof douche. The Irish guy on there is a bit obnoxious (unusual, because you don't find too many Irish people in the world who are nothing but charming). The other knock on the podcast is that the panel are pure unabashed Kraft sycophants. So, if you can get past them never criticizing the bosses you might find it entertaining. But, in any event, at least the F.O. sees fit to underwrite this whole silly thing and for that I'm grateful.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    double header on Sunday in Somerville:

[​IMG]

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston City FC And Malden Trans Renew Transportation Partnership
    Fri, Apr 7, 2017
    11:52 am

http://www.bostoncityfc.com/news/20...malden-trans-renew-transportation-partnership

For all home matches, as the official transport partner and preferred ride of Boston City FC, MTI will again offer fans arriving at Malden Center MBTA Station a free shuttle service to Brother Gilbert Stadium at Malden Catholic High School. The first shuttles will run on Saturday, April 29, when the Lions take on the New York Cosmos B in the season opener, kickoff 7pm.

Buses will start running an hour and a half before kickoff, and will leave the Malden Center MBTA Station every 30 minutes until the time of kickoff. Those who ride the free service will then be able to return at 30-minute intervals, beginning 15 minutes after the end of a match. Regularly priced taxis via Malden Taxi will also be staged outside the stadium for fans’ convenience and the service will run throughout the 2017 season. MTI has a mobile app to request a taxi, which can be found on both the Apple Store and on Google Play under either Malden Trans or Malden Taxi. MTI provides the only taxi service in neighboring Everett through Everett Taxi.

As part of the initiative, Malden Trans will have a reserved seating section all home matches to enable them to invite special needs children and their families to watch Boston City in action, which will again include a special meet and greet and autograph session with star Lions players. The Malden Trans Soccer Clinic series will be established to provide soccer training for special needs children whose communities are served by the extensive Malden Trans network.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer
    UNITED STATES, CANADA AND MEXICO TO MAKE HISTORIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON APRIL 10 IN NEW YORK CITY
    Media Event Scheduled for 2 p.m. at One World Observatory at One World Trade Center

ORANJESTAD, Aruba (April 8, 2017) -
    CONCACAF member nations the United States, Canada and Mexico are scheduled to make a historic announcement on April 10 in New York City. The event will take place at 2 p.m. ET at One World Observatory on the 102nd floor of the One World Trade Center.
    Attending the event on Monday will be:
    Sunil Gulati - President, United States Soccer Federation; Member, FIFA Council
    Victor Montagliani - President, CONCACAF; President, Canadian Soccer Association
    Decio de Maria - President, Mexican Football Federation; Vice President, CONCACAF

-- Press Conference Information --
    WHO: U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati, Canadian Soccer Association President Victor Montagliani, Mexican Football Federation President Decio de Maria
    WHAT: Press Conference to make historic announcement
    WHEN: Monday, April 10 at 2 p.m. ET
    WHERE: One World Observatory - One World Trade Center - 285 Fulton Street - New York, NY 10007. Please use the West Street entrance.
    HOW: Media who wish to attend must apply for accreditation by clicking here. Media applications MUST be received by 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 9.

*Please note this venue has extensive security - everyone must be on guest list prior to the event and everyone will go through a detector and bags will be scanned before entering the elevator. Approved media are encouraged to arrive by 12:30 p.m. ET.
    A live world feed from the event as well as a VNR will provided to broadcast media. Uplink information will be available soon.

-ussoccer.com-

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how all those teams have better, more professional and more soccer-like logos than our beloved Revs (well, maybe with the exception of New Jersey Copa, which looks like your basic clip art).

23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd like to know is why you are making this request...

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Pats went out and spent money this off-season. So people can't keep going to the well and talking about how the Pats never spend money either.