The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

The reference to 15 new staff members seems a little ambiguous to me, given how it is presented here.

There are some words referencing staff members who work for both the Patriots and the Revolution, and if I recall, those dual role staff members are referenced just before the statement regarding the hiring of 15 new members.

It is possible that the 15 new hires are actually dual role staffers, not dedicated Revs resources.

I personally would find that story more likely-that 15 dual role staffers have been hired. I am having a tough time imagining that the Revs put out money for 15 dedicated Revs staffers. It would seemingly be at odds with what we have observed from this organization over its history.

Does anyone know anything more actual facts about the mysterious 15?

ToMhIlL repped this.
  3. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My, now cynical, view is that the 15 new staff hired replaced the 15 staff that left. Kind of like Burns signed 4 new starters this year.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have been hiring a lot for the revs. The 15 staff could be college kids / interns doing outreach at the various campuses around the Boston area.

5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOAzer, VTSoccerFan and A Casual Fan repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wahl is putting too much emphasis on stadiums in all of his "ambition" comments. Even if the Revs were serious about it, it would still be a difficult project. See how NYC's stadium search progresses in the next few years. It ain't easy, even if you really are trying.

That said, I also picked up on the Sessions-ish comment about new hires and thought the same thing. I'm guessing they are Pats people who have a little piece of their responsibility to do something for the Revs too.

The things Wahl should measure the Revs on is things like roster management, their alleged "partnerships" with Sporting and Rochester, which have produced absolutely nothing, not to mention their total inability/unwillingness to revive those relationships or set up new ones with other similar clubs. Also the lack of urgency on Burns' part, when other teams are always looking to sign new, better players than the ones they have, Burns basically said, "I'm done." And he has 7 open spots.

The Revs are 22 because of that stuff, not because they haven't greased the right palms at the BTU just yet.

7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else notice that during the State of the Revs piece on the new jersey the graphic refers to the "13 original New England colonies?"

Ummmm.....

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geography majors, all of them! I know people from the west who get those tiny eastern states mixed up, so I can understand it if you have trouble distinguishing Wyoming from Colorado on their shape alone. What is really clever is how both of those states decided to make their license plates in the outline of the state. To quote Ray Hudson, "Absolutely Magic!" I'd like to see Maryland try that!

9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As people probably know, the soccer system in Argentina is crumbling. Players have not been paid for months, the teams say there is no money to pay them with and three full divisions of Argentine soccer are on strike.

FIFA and the Confed are trying to supplement the leagues with money to help keep it afloat but there is a chance if the teams continue to not pay, either a court or FIFA is going to rule the contracts null and void.

If that happens, the flood of Argentine players to MLS and Liga MX is going to increase as both leagues can offer significant pay raises and not have to worry about the transfer fees.

Now of course the real question is whether the Revs have performed any detailed in person scouting so that they can be ready to pounce if something does not get turned around............anyone willing to hold their breath?

a517dogg repped this.
  10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Burns is always a step ahead. He'll preserve his cap space and roster spots for the day the Bundesliga folds...

RevsLiverpool, swedust and pwykes repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 NFLPatriot, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Exercise to combat boredom...

Ex-Revs still in MLS
    Here's my starting 11:

- - - - Shuttleworth(MIN)
    Alston(ORL) - Parkhurst(ATL) - Larentowicz(ATL) - Sinovic (SKC)
    Feilhaber(SKC) - Jones(LA) - Okoli(NYC)
    Mullins(DCU) - Dempsey(SEA) - Davies(PHI)

Not enough mids, too many forwards.

Edit: Forgot Benny

TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a decently competitive team. However, depth would be a issue.

Man, talk about a broken record!

RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If they had a half decent coach, that team would probably beat our current best xi

14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Keeping with the ex-Revs theme, Clavijo could coach since he's still in the league.

RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I just posted on social media ... Kraft has spent more money today on the Pats contracts than he has in 22 years had he actually paid the Revs contracts himself. Sad.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone hear anything about Fernando health lately? He was fighting Leukemia

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm announcing the end of my retirement and my comeback in order to play and break the record:

Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura passes Stanley Matthews' longevity record after starting a match at the age of 50 years and seven days
    • Stanley Matthews played his final professional game aged 50 and five days
    • Matthews played his final game for Stoke City against Fulham in 1965
    • But he has now been passed by Japanese star Kazuyoshi Miura
    • Miura started for Yokohama at the age of 50 and seven days to beat Matthews
    • He has previously played in Brazil and Italy and has 89 caps for Japan
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ra-passes-Stanley-Matthews.html#ixzz4avfSLj4J

18. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been away, but I have not seen this posted. Sorry if this is redundant.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you missed it while you were gone ... we still haven't signed anyone. ;)

TOAzer and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought Brad was pretty ornery dealing with some of the critical questions. I thought he could use a lesson in message-management, or whatever. Rather than get defensive and arguing with the complaining fan, there are much better (more positive) ways to handle it. I think they should probably re-think his hosting of this event. Maybe Jeff Lemieux (who seems a much more positive person) would be better at it.

I've played pickup with him on a number of occasions, and Mr. Warmth he ain't.
    This is a good step up in professionalism. Naoko is a much more skilled TV person/journalist and also has a pleasant, engaging personality. Coffield always struck me as a reporter-in-training, rather than a competent pro.

dncm and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, what happened? Did someone ask a relatively "reasonable" question that Brad thought was too critical?

Who did you play pickup with, Lemieux or Feldman? And when you say "Mr. Warmth" you're not talking about a Chicago Fire fan from Oklahoma whose trademark line is to "go die in a fire," are you?

TOAzer repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feldman is the high priest of the Kraft Apologist branch of KADism. He makes KADs here look like staunch NNNs. Not surprising he doesn't take criticism well, especially in person in front of a crowd of STHs, with nowhere to hide.

That said, if he's ill, of course I hope he gets better ASAP.

pwykes repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he isn't ill, or if he is, it's just something that will pass, liek a flu. In any case, I hope he gets better.

Yes, I have had a few conversations with Brad where we've been on opposite sides, and I understand why he takes the perspective he does, even if I don't always agree with it. Regardless, you still need to be able to accept criticism and deal with it in a way that you're not obviously spin-doctoring it away in a blatant untruthtitude kind of way.

The old saying comes to mind where you can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It absolutely hurts you when a player on your team basically says he can go elsewhere and do better.

I'm experiencing it right now with my Everton squad.

But sometimes, a player saying this might actually be enough to get ownership to notice. I can hope that at some point someone here does that with the Revs.

a517dogg repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think the Revs are gonna sign him? Hey, they were hinting that they were leaving cap money on the table and open roster spots so they could be "flexible" enough to make a big signing... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I'll start a rumor on one of the general MLS boards and see how that flies!