The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #376 VTSoccerFan, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Click on the twitter blue bird (view on twitter) in the upper right corner for the whole thread which contains even more interesting data.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went out to dinner in Boston recently and who was at the next table over but Bob Kraft himself. He was out to dinner with his grandkids so I refrained from bothering him.

Seeing him brought out conflicting emotions that battled each other - my inner pats fan was excited. Inner revs fan was a mix of dejected and frustrated.

ToMhIlL and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Inner-Decent-Human-Being in me does not like to bother famous people when they are out in public. I once saw Nancy Kerrigan out with her kids, and I recognized her, she looked at me, knowing that I recognized her, but I quickly turned away. She was just a mom out with her kids and does not need some jamoke, giacuce, stugatz or mamaluke (or any combination thereof) coming up to her and saying, "Do you know who yew are? I seen ya on the Tee-Vee once!"

On the other hand, I once saw Jonathan Kraft at the dealership getting his car serviced. I asked him if the Revs were going to sign any big-name players (this was in an off-season a few years ago). He was taken aback, probably because no one ever asks him anything like that, but he just kind of gave an awkward laugh and said "we'll see..." as he walked out the door.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... then ran once out the door, and then filed a restraining order. ;)

5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rex Ryan popped up on my ESPN Boston page, predicting a Titans upset over the Pats. Is he still obsessed with Bill, still an attention whore, or just an idiot? Probably all three.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rkupp repped this.
  7. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone tell Mr. Williams that the Cincy ownership needs to measure 8 more times?

9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    956158091619459074 is not a valid tweet id

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh may-in! That is absolutely horrible. The original Columbus Crew badge is better than that!

swedust and A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not wild about the Leeds badge, but it's still better than ours. Put it this way, the next time someone comes up with a new badge that takes flack, they'll be claiming it's worse than ours not Leeds'.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this one really interesting. Goes to show what many have felt for a long time. Keep the prices reasonable!

RevsLiverpool and MM66 repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm always amazed at live pro/college sporting events about how much stuffing people's faces is an integral part of the experience - especially with kids. Like, can't anyone go to a game without a trashy meal being a part of it?

14. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, but the prices for Falcons' tickets went up way more than the dollars they save on the food. "Maybe your upper deck ticket costs $20 more per game than it did in the building that used to be next door, and you now have to pay a $1,000 PSL just for the rights to buy those more expensive tickets, but look, $2 hot dogs!"

My neighbour had season tickets for over 30 years but had to give them up because of the ludicrous PSL prices.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Saw this in another thread, applicable to all threads on this board. A truism I felt worth noting.

It wins the internets today.

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #392 rkupp, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    US women's soccer needs to find a new formula - following the US male sport franchise model isn't working.

I think they should create a sort of "Champion's League" out of all-star teams from regional leagues. Every other week or so, the best players in one regional league would face off against another region's elite. In between, they'd play with their local teams. Player's would get bonuses for their selection to each CL league game.

That would have the effect of supporting local teams, boosting large pro participation nationally and giving all players (including the elites) many matches over the year. And, it would provide a showcase to a much wider array of talent, allowing players to emerge that haven't been spotted by "the system".

It might not appeal (immediately) to the elite USWNT players, but could end up providing their best opportunities over time. We'd probably have to live with some of the stars going over to Euro leagues in the short-term.

One of the flaws in each of the attempts to build an elite women's league is that they are trying to create it from the top, rather than build interest/participation from bottom up. At least MLS had many years of regional leagues to build upon - and even they had enough stumbling blocks where they almost didn't make.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy who helped to "save" MLS ... couldn't be bothered when he was asked if he was interested in the Breakers. BTW, if he had bought the Breakers, he'd have another 10-15 nights he could use in that new stadium he's never going to build.

BKIASB.

a517dogg and Minutemanii repped this.
  19. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's too busy with the Overwatch league and gassing up the jets for the Super Bowl to care about a USFL franchise that he thought had left Boston back in the 80s.

patfan1 repped this.
  20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This video combines two important things in my life. The human rain storm that my wife creates each summer around or extended family bonfire each summer and the run the Revs made to the cup.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that was pretty cool! The Revs should get that group to come in and do that before a game. Forget about that 19th century drinking song they always have someone butcher before every game.

MM66 and BERich repped this.
  22. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I herd the puzzling announcement on WERS this morning that this spring would be "the Breakers' last season." Does this mean that they are going to give it one more shot and then fold? I hope they manage to stay afloat, but I guess that serves me right for listening to a college station for news...

24. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are done
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/#nwsl-announces-boston-breakers-to-cease-operations
    http://www.bostonbreakerssoccer.com/statement-from-boston-breakers

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just came across this article again in another thread, from nearly 4 years ago, “The Krafts are the worst owners in the league,” http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2014/03/25/bob-kraft-worst-owner-new-england-revolution/4/.

The thing that struck me most about re-reading it was that, other than a few details, nothing really has changed. Sure, there was the signing of Jermaine Jones and great Cup run, and some of us had hoped that Ebeneezer Kraft had learned a lesson, but we know now that was just a temporary aberration. Even the comments on the Brigadoon Rainbow Unicorn Stadium are things you might have heard them say yesterday.