The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I graduated from Clark 30 years ago. Worcester was up and coming then. It's always up and coming. And I'm not sure relying on college students with limited money and a lot of entertainment options is a great strategy for ticket sales.

As far as location goes, Foxboro's about as well positioned as Worcester. Both are near a major highway (Foxboro's actually closer) and pretty close to Boston and Providence.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who they are talking about :)

===================

There is currently a tug-of-war, of sorts, occurring behind the scenes in MLS. Some ownership groups are ready to spend more believing the league is primed for growth, and further investment will only accelerate that growth. Other ownership groups are happy to limit their investment, either because they can operate at a profit by doing so or because their resources are more limited than some of the billionaire ownership groups that have come into MLS in recent expansion.

Before, there was an old guard that controlled much of the decision making. Multiple sources indicate that is starting to change. There isn’t one group that holds the hammer anymore.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above post was from an article talking about how some owners want charter flights and some don't. We have always assumed the Kraft's were clearly on the do not want side.

I wonder if anything has changed based on the fact that they have their own planes now? It is probably still much cheaper to fly commercial rather than fuel and fly their own plane....

4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Remember that if you win Powerball you could likely easily afford to buy the Revs and also privately fund a stadium - effectively reversing the course of this franchise, as well as the course of many of the discussions here.

Yes, you.

Just saying.

Just in case.

TOAzer, a517dogg, BrianLBI and 2 others repped this.
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad part is that I actually had a convo about this last night. It still wouldn't be enough. Supposedly the one-time payout, after taxes would be less than $350M (or around that). Not enough. But would make a dent for sure.

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well the powerball winning ticket was bought in Worcester. Maybe we'll see a Worcester stadium after all.

8. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The winning Powerball ticket was sold in Chicopee. So, perhaps we'll see a new soccer-specific home for the Revolution anchoring the revitalization of the "Crossroads of New England".

;)

a517dogg repped this.
  9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Ahh, right. The face value would be enough, but not the net payout.

10. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Why would the Revs ever want an old overpriced DP anyways?

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mass United FC‏ @massunitedfc 50m50 minutes ago
    Mass United FC Retweeted Mass United FC
    Mass United FC to compete in 2018 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup!
    Stay tuned as USSF today will announce the matchups for 1st round of competition!

13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NGUYENing: The Lee Nguyen Story | Trailer
    August 31, 201712:23PM EDT

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All due respect but they are nothing like one another.

Foxboro is a town 30 miles from Boston, not close to anything except more suburbs. It's really not that close to Providence, a solid 45 minutes.

In contrast, Worcester's a city with good transportation links and a lot of college students. It's close to the Pike, on a direct train route to Boston and easily accessible to many areas of the state.

As far as up and coming, I have lived in the Worcester area much of my life and grew up in Northboro 20 minutes away. I guarantee Worcester was a hole 30 years ago. Some may say it still is but they probably haven't been there in a long time (of ever). There actually is good investment happening in the canal district and downtown. There's a new rink being built, a new ECHL team to play at the DCU Center and they are courting the PawSox. Nothing like that was happening in the city when you were at Clark.
    [Rant]
    I realize people like Casual Fan are going to snark all they want, but I'm tired of the bullshit about a Boston stadium. Just build "the next best thing". If you can't get a ride youmy 20something, make some ********ing friends. If you need to rely on the train, take the ********ing commuter rail. If you are too much of a lazy asshole to do either, watch it on tv. But for God's sake the Krafts just need to build a God damn stadium in a train accessible place and be done with this shit.
    [/rant]

a517dogg, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxboro is also close to major highways. As far as transportation links go, if the plans for regular train service, that makes it more accessible. as you said, Kraft needs a train accessible stadium. He already has one. Foxboro may be 45 minutes from Providence, but Worcester's about 45 minutes from Boston. Like I said, they're all about equidistant by car.

It's nice they might get a minor league hockey team to play at the DCU Center. It wouldn't be the first. I remember when it was called the Centrum and was THE place for big name musical acts since the Boston Garden was such a dump. I also remember when the Worcester Mall was in the middle of downtown and was supposed to be help revitalize that area.

Worcester may have gotten better, but the last time I was there was about two years ago and it still looked like Worcester to me.

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Worcester. For seven years now. So....how to put it?...... There is no place for NIMBY Pride in this here town.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair point, they've been trying to get downtown going for decades around the DCU center. You are also right that Foxboro is close to several highways as well. Forgive my rant it's a side effect of 22 years with the Krafts as owners. :)

I am just frustrated because IMO if Boston won't happen due to pols, NIMBY and ridiculous real estate prices (after a decade of failed attempts, it's certainly looking that way), the Krafts should be willing and able to look at other options around the region. I realize I am contradicting myself because I was vehemently against the Revere/Wonderland idea. At this point, in general, a smaller city with a tough reputation but hungry for investment (not necessarily Worcester, could be Lowell, Brockton, New Bedford etc) with open minded pols, but a little farther out makes sense to me. The revs could become a way to generate growth.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    What was the trigger that made you tag me by name, along with "bullshit", in a self-described rant on this topic?

I am not heavy into the stadium discussion, as I really care about fielding a winning side, regardless where they play. I do dish out the periodic snark whenever the owners or FO feed the fanbase half-truths or outright outlandish statements - on any topic, including on stadium topics, but really on any topic.

I truly reserve my prime "snark" for the FO foibles around finding talent and getting a quality team onto the field.

I think they are other who do the heavy lifting on weighing in on stadium stuff. I seldom comment on this topic, and when I do so it is not particular to preferring Boston. Usually a stadium comment from me is in regards to the timeline and the insanely poor expectation management shown by the Revs in this matter. Along those lines, it is puzzling that you mentioned me by name in a rant about the stadium location.

You can PM me if there is an issue that you feel slighted by, I am at a loss for this callout.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry man nothing personal, please disregard it

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cue the "48-60 months" thread on the NYC board

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #297 RevsLiverpool, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Well said!

Though we probably won't see the team moving to central MA, the historical roots of the American Revolution actually began in Worcester. It was the first town to overthrow the British public officials in the lead up to the war. It was a bloodless revolution led by the townsfolk, therefore it doesn't get the attention of Lexington and Concord.

For anyone curious, read about the uprising of 1774 here. There's a book about it though I will be honest it's not the most exciting read.

TOAzer repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Since it has been mentioned twice now on this page, to clarify, Foxboro to Providence is about a 25 minute door to door ride without traffic. Stadium parking lot to Providence Place Mall.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watching the pregame coverage of the past-chiefs and Rodney Harrison was down on the sideline with Bob Kraft behind him. Dan Patrick asked if Kraft owes him any money and Harrison jokingly said "yeah, Kraft is cheap."

Every revs fan watching simultaneously said "AMEN!"

NFLPatriot and BERich repped this.