The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiebe: Expansion rush takes MLS into new era
    February 1, 2017, 7:12PM EST
    Andrew Wiebe

Noticed this little tidbit:

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that. No irony or anything that a MLS 1.0 spender is evaluating 3.0 bids. :)

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Jonathan Kraft's name came up and the discussion in other threads about how well Atlanta seems to be doing building a team inspired me to share this Grant Wahl tweet for those that did not see it.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'd be interested in seeing what the numbers are on population/disposable income. Dallas may have more younger people, but if they don't have the money to spend ...

I have been to that area (granted, a loooong time ago), but it seemed like anybody with any money lives in the burbs, not the city. Urban living doesn't have the same cache in TX than it does on the coasts.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know which son is more ambitious, that's for damn sure.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Chris Arling Should be the teams next homegrown.

Chris Arling's stats at UNH closely relate to Wright's at UVM...Chris scored 15 goals as a sophomore this past season. I don't see anything in the homegrown rules that would keep the Revs from signing him. What am I missing?

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs, rightly or wrongly, have pushed kids to go to school. They tried that with Diego who flat out said he had no interest. I think they appreciate the kids getting an education (and getting free experience playing in college).

Sachem07 repped this.
  8. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The education piece is important, no doubt, but do you think he may be wasting development years at UNH?

Exposure to the coaches and level of play in the MLS, NASL, or USL must be greater than what he is exposed to at UNH.

Most of these schools offer online learning and I"m sure this trend will only increase. If there isn't a rule saying you can be signed as a homegrown and complete your degree online, it would be a great fix to the Revs education first philosophy.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are the pros and cons of signing a guy to the acadamy, and then he goes off to college? The Revs would keep his rights, so it is just like having an extra draft pick. If the guy is a would-be first rounder, so much the better! So what is the downside of this? Keeping another team from picking him in the draft seems like a good strategy...

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the only con would be if the player could develop faster (or further) somewhere other than college (PDL, USL, etc).

11. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The downside would be wasting prime development years at a average soccer school in an average soccer league. Wouldn't he develop faster if he signed with the revs? He could practice with the first team and maybe get a match or two or be loaned out to a USL/NASL team.

I have no idea how good he is projected to be....I have never watched him play. But assuming he is the same age as other Sophomores, scoring 15 goals your second season must count for something.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the revs under Heaps are mostly crap at developing young talent, may as well encourage them to get a college education.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another plus is that if they do sign him he has no leverage and they can low ball him.

14. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    But what if a player could do both? Sign for the Revs and finish their degree online, assuming its allowed.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are horrid at actually letting bench players get experience. We have some fans that are OK with that "at least Heaps gets to see them train" (or other such comments), but it's not good. So basically if you're players 18 through 25/26 on the roster, don't expect to play, and don't expect to get loaned out. Of course, this just gives the Revs another reason to not fill out their roster anyway.

dncm and Crooked repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thought but may be hard as not every degree is offered online and draft picks come from a variety of colleges based all around the country. Then you get into transferring credits etc. Not to mention the season covers virtually the entire academic year. I know former patriots LB Mike Vrabel went back to OSU in one of the NFL off-seasons to take chemistry courses and finish his college degree. But that's significantly easier given the NFL players aren't playing during the academic spring semester.

17. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What about Matt Turner, Id argue he is a 18 through 25/26 player. Stats are showing he was one of the best goalies in the USL last year. Okay, he only played 7 games, but he has a GAA of .43. He is also young at 22, especially for a goalie. He seems like the perfect candidate for roster spots 18-26. The revs just have to figure if hes worth developing x number of years and thus incurring x number of years of salary expense.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/stats/leag...tab=league_instance_player_stats&tool=1782618

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean? He's already on the roster, as one of 4 GKs?

19. forzamilano10

forzamilano10 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan

He is a bottom of the roster player and was loaned out.

I've been reading the forums for a couple of years and I know there is anger towards management because they seem to draft and sign players for one year and release them the next...never loaned out...never play in a MLS or open cup game. What if these players just aren't good enough to warrant paying them 50-60k for a couple of years until they are good enough, only to max out as a bench player.

Regarding the loaning out of players, do the USL NASL teams pay a portion of the players salary. did Richmond pay some of Matt's salary or is that not disclosed?

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assume Richmond paid most, if not all, of his salary.

If these players aren't good enough to warrant paying them, then we shouldn't be signing them. Worse comes to worse, we have the Rhinos relationship that we really don't use to give kids like McCrary a chance. It seemed to work for other teams, but we just don't use it. Now many of the MLS teams have their own USL teams, where they can send players like that. Of course, that would require the Krafts to pay for a USL team ... and as we all have been told repeatedly as an excuse for not spending money, BKIASB.

BERich repped this.
  21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Herivaux have a scholarship at Providence?

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ... I don't know.

23. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Those with Netflix may enjoy a cool soccer drama/comedy from Mexico. It has subtitles and has 2 season so far.

It is called "Club de Curevos"

Anyone who remembers "Dream Team" may like this (also can find some old Dream Team episodes on YouTube)

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he (Matt Turner) was the only. The fact that he played 7 games for Richmond (DCU's affiliate) and that was more than twice the number of games all other Revs players played for Rochester (Revs affiliate) is a huge red flag, IMHO.