The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a Revolution Stadium in Boston, the Krafts could have it both ways: WCQ & Gold Cup matches at Revs facility, and concerts at Gillette. Just sayin'...

Crooked repped this.
  2. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No different than any other July that the Gold Cup was held in Foxboro. And me personally I am glad they didn't "bid" or get chosen. This off year edition of the Gold Cup sucks.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As Revsrock stated, this has never been an issue before. Also, the concerts don't really conflict with the Gold Cup. The tournament is running from July 7-28. The group stage will be over prior to the July 20th Bon Jovi concert, the weekend of the 20th will be the quaterfinals.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now ... we're being told that it's OK that we didn't even bid on having a potential US game here? Nice.

I don't understand the need of being contradictory, just because you can ... but this is getting out of hand.

5. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, that's easier said then done. Do you know what was booked in 2009 at Gillette Stadium besides the Gold Cup? Do you know if there were concerts there in 2011 that conflicted with the Gold Cup?

Yes, I know the dates of the tournament, which is why I wrote previously that Gillette would only be available for 1 of the 3 weeks. You're just looking at the July 20th Bon Jovi concert and not taking into consideration the approx. 4 days of setup prior to the concert.

Since we don't know the draw of the matches, wouldn't it make sense for the organizers to choose venues that have available dates for most of July so they have more options?

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general, they've appeared to bid on the early stages, not the semifinals or finals. In '09, AC/DC played on July 28, 2 days after the Gold Cup Final.

In '11, Taylor Swift played two concerts on June 25 and 26th (June 25th was the Gold Cup Final).

Those are the two I found looking quickly, no idea if there were others.

I do believe in the past, we have had a game within 48 hours of a concert.

So maybe you're right, they didn't even bid. Which just disappoints even more. Just shows the priorities at Gillette really don't involve soccer.

7. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    First, it wouldn't be ok to not bid if the venue wasn't already booked. However, I imagine a Bon Jovi concert and 2 Taylor Swift concerts bring in more revenue than a Gold Cup match.

Second, when Gillette Stadium wasn't awarded the Gold Cup match, everyone's first reaction was to indicate that this was a not so subtle message to Kraft. No one, except me, bothered to even check Gillette Stadium's event calendar. It's like you guys are predisposed to jump to anti-Kraft conclusions.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just gave you the calendar that they have used in the past. They could have still hosted first round games. Nice try.

As a matter of fact, the Revs have a home game on July 13th ... so they could have worked with it.

9. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's easier to play a game after a concert because deconstruction of the stage is quicker than constructing the concert stage. So while I will agree that it possible to play a game 48 hours after a concert, it's not possible to play a game 48 hours before a concert. In that case, the second half of July 2013 was unavailable for the Gold Cup at Gillette Stadium.

The priority at Gillette Stadium is to make money. Let me break it down mathematically:

Bon Jovi + 2(Taylor Swift) > Gold Cup

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as I've said before ... stop playing Revs games completely. Just have more concerts. Have more football games, more lacrosse games, have more movies filmed there. After all, just about making money. Screw soccer, who the hell cares.

11. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    "Since we don't know the draw of the matches?" What does that even mean? We've never hosted a Gold Cup semi-final or final and haven't hosted a quarterfinal since 2007, so we're really not effected by these concerts in the least. I love the excuse making though. Good job, good effort.

12. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Did you provide the calendar for all the June 2011 events or just the ones that you could easily find?

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know that you can actually find out the answers to your own questions?

Here, I'll even help you.

It isn't my job to sit here and answer your questions, nor do I have to provide anything for you. You can find the answers yourself.

14. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wish you guys had a clue, and I'm not referring to the board game. We all agree now, after I did the research, that Gillette Stadium is only available for 1 of the 3 weeks of the Gold Cup.

Do you guys think that when a stadium bids for the Gold Cup that there are different levels of bids - group stage only, semi-finals only? The stadium bids for the Gold Cup, CONCACAF then decides what type of game the stadium will host. I doubt Gillette Stadium could submit a bid for a group stage game only.

Go look at the calendar of events for the stadiums that were chosen and get a clue.

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The first round of last year's Gold Cup started on June 5th and ended on June 14th. If that schedule holds, this year's Gold Cup would start on July 7th and end on July 16th. July 16th is four days prior to your beloved Bon Jovi concert. There's no reason we couldn't have hosted first round games, just like we have for the past two Gold Cups.

16. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Gold Cup has no interest in using Gillette Stadium for anything more than the group stage of this tournament, as proven by the last two Gold Cups. These concerts had absolutely zero effect on their decision.

17. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is the bottom line right here. The 13 Gold Cup venues are known. Go find me 2 of the 13 venues that are already booked for July 2013 to the same degree as Gillette Stadium.

Here's a tip, I already checked Baltimore, Hartford, Dallas, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, New York, and Atlanta.

18. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup 2003
    QF July 19,2003 3 games Costa Rica vs El Sal, Revs vs Metros, US vs Cuba

Bon Jovi July 22,2003

Crooked and patfan1 repped this.
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't happen. He researched it. Oh, I mean he asked others to research it.

20. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For ESPN matches you should be able to stream them on espn3.com.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What does that have to do with anything? 9 of the 13 stadiums will only host group games, which we easily could have done. If CONCACAF wanted us to host games we would have, it's as simple as that. Also, your whole point about bidding for the tournament as a whole and not for a particular round or set of games is moronic. This is a negotiating process, when the Rose Bowl bid for the 2011 Gold Cup they were clearly only bidding for the Final, while smaller SSSs would clearly only be bidding for group matches.

22. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another great thing

Pats vs Giants Aug 30,2007
    Jimmy Buffett Sept 2,2007

23. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7/14/06 Revs host RSL
    7/17/06 Country Fest

24. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I did research that it takes approximately 4 days to setup the stage actually, which included:

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Great. So why couldn't we host games during the group stage again? It's really hard getting through to you...